Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 cents. Just wanted to pass on my experience with hard cast bullets that are popular for woods carry. Specifically for the 10mm glocks.

One thing I need to mention is that both guns used for below never had a single issue with range rounds or SD jhp rounds.

I shot about 800+ rounds of Hardcasts (200 and 220gr -- mix of 3 brands: UW, BB, DT) with a combination of all that follows over several months. In this experiment I used both my G20 and G40; using recoil spring assembly RSA 22lb and OEM 17#; Using KKM, StomLake, and OEM barrels; using both OEM and heavier magazine springs from wolff.

With KKM and StormLake barrels I could not get 1 full magazine to complete without a feeding issue except once. The OEM barrel did better but still got feeding issues at about 70% less frequency. ++ I need to mention never a limp wrist throughout in case anyone suspects that.

Also need to mention that each setup went through 60 rounds of range bullets without any failure before cleaning the barrel and continuing with the Hardcasts test.

My carry rule is the following: If a round I carry could not go through my setup 100 straight times without issues then I would not want to carry it. + If that rule is met then rule number 2 is the round should be able to go 30 times in the same setup with continuous rapid fire (interrupted only for a magazine change).

All Hardcasts I tried failed the above test on rule #1 across all setups within 3-to-35 rounds at most (so I never got to try rule #2). OEM barrel did much better but still failed the above test at rule #1.

So my resolution: Enough money was burned on hard casts. Switch to a different bullet.

I switched to UW 140 grain penetrator, which passed the above tests in the OEM barrel. Have not tried it yet with KKM and StormLake but I do expect it to pass there as well since both these KKM and StormLake barrels never had an issue with any other bullets I ever shot.

I hike mostly alone in wilderness areas. And one thing I would not want is to be in a situation where my gun jams after my first shot.

happy glocking.
od

·
Registered
240 Posts
Until I read to the bottom I was thinking UW penetrators which is what I carry in such situations with my G40. I’ve never had an issue with those rounds in the Glock or LW barrels. That is the situation where you want bang as expected every time.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks for the info.
After almost talking myself out of a 44mag revolver I have been swayed to the Glocks as a hiking/woods carry option.
I have been studying the G20 with Hard Casts & xtreme penetrator ammo. I have heard mixed results with the 220 hard cast. Same for aftermarket barrels. Xtreme penetrators look good in Jello and on paper but I have not seen any first hand accounts of actual use .
I'm struggling with the idea to just stay with tried and true 9mm and Underwood/Buffalo Bore Hard Casts or invest time & money in a G20 and getting it to earn my trust. I don't plan on spending a lot of time on bear country but may find myself there on a couple of vacation trips.

·
In The Saddle
8,124 Posts
I have shot almost nothing but hard cast in the several some odd G20' I have had, and I still do in all the Glocks I do own now. I hand load all my own stuff and have for over 45 years or so. OEM Glock barrels have NEVER once had issues with MY hand loaded HC bullets. I don't buy factory HC, so i really cannot speak to that reliability, but the G20 and the Glcok 45acp's we've had out here ALL shoot/shot flawless with hard cast running 16-20 bhn (hardness), no fowling issues really, and have shot in our canyon playground on the ranch at 300+ yds into various exploding type targets.

Accurate as can be. Again, I can't speak for UW, BB, et, except from all I've heard over the years, is that they are quality stuff. For almost three decades we been shooting hard cast in OEM Glock barrels with no issues. Check your mag springs/follower, RSA. But man, "I wouldn't remotely sacrifice" hard hitting heavy weight hard cast bullets for the UW 140gr!

I'd stick it out, until I found "why" and fix it. No reason the OEM won't eat up the HC, unless their to long, or mag is malfunctioning, or RSA is not letting the slide time properly with the given loads. Try the OEM Recoil spring, and a "known" good mag spring, and polish the feed ramp on the barrel. IF, the rounds aren't to long, no reason it won't run perfect...

Good luck!

CanyonMan
:horse:

·
This is the set-up for reloading
391 Posts
OEM Glock barrels have NEVER once had issues with MY hand loaded HC bullets.
Right: No problem with hard cast bullets in my Glock's. The G21.3 runs very well with the rounds that work in my Colt 1911. With the high velocity rounds it's different. The bullets must he hard. Mine are water quenched. Slightly over groove diameter. I was using 50/50 lube. The charge has to be sufficient to make the gun cycle. Most recently it was with an OEM barrel in 357 SIG caliber in a G23. I have routinely been shooting leads bullets from my G21.3. I have been accused of being a troll on this hot button topic.

·
18,328 Posts
There is no problem whatsoever with shooting lead in a Glock Barrel if you just CLEAN YOUR DAMN GUN after you shoot it!!!!

But it's a moot point if you use Underwood hardcast ammo because it's polymer coated.

·
391 Posts
If the bullets are right hard cast the problem is significantly reduced. Barrels need to be clean no matter what.

I would not factor in a 44 Magnum revolver with the auto calibers. It's too much of an apples and oranges comparison. I would take a good look at 180 gr. bullets in the 10mm. I shoot both calibers. The 10mm is for city use.

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
I fired my first Underwood 220 gran Hard Cast in my G20.4 just yesterday.
They fired fine and seemed quite accurate.
I did not fire enough to have them prove themselves yet, but still have two boxes that i will work with before committing to them.

I also have been pretty pleased with the Underwood extreme penetrators and have yet to have any problems with them.

Reactions: Intolerant

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I never had an issue with Underwood’s 200grn hard cast and have shot a lot of them.

·
391 Posts
I was speaking of personally cast bullets using conventional lube. My person choice has to do with optimum performance from my G20. When we talk about coated bullets I'm out of the loop since I make my own lubed bullets. My personal choice is to go for the higher velocity of the lighter bullets. I don't know anything about coated bullets.

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
10,498 Posts
My 2 cents. Just wanted to pass on my experience with hard cast bullets that are popular for woods carry. Specifically for the 10mm glocks.

One thing I need to mention is that both guns used for below never had a single issue with range rounds or SD jhp rounds.

I shot about 800+ rounds of Hardcasts (200 and 220gr -- mix of 3 brands: UW, BB, DT) with a combination of all that follows over several months. In this experiment I used both my G20 and G40; using recoil spring assembly RSA 22lb and OEM 17#; Using KKM, StomLake, and OEM barrels; using both OEM and heavier magazine springs from wolff.

With KKM and StormLake barrels I could not get 1 full magazine to complete without a feeding issue except once. The OEM barrel did better but still got feeding issues at about 70% less frequency. ++ I need to mention never a limp wrist throughout in case anyone suspects that.

Also need to mention that each setup went through 60 rounds of range bullets without any failure before cleaning the barrel and continuing with the Hardcasts test.

My carry rule is the following: If a round I carry could not go through my setup 100 straight times without issues then I would not want to carry it. + If that rule is met then rule number 2 is the round should be able to go 30 times in the same setup with continuous rapid fire (interrupted only for a magazine change).

All Hardcasts I tried failed the above test on rule #1 across all setups within 3-to-35 rounds at most (so I never got to try rule #2). OEM barrel did much better but still failed the above test at rule #1.

So my resolution: Enough money was burned on hard casts. Switch to a different bullet.

I switched to UW 140 grain penetrator, which passed the above tests in the OEM barrel. Have not tried it yet with KKM and StormLake but I do expect it to pass there as well since both these KKM and StormLake barrels never had an issue with any other bullets I ever shot.

I hike mostly alone in wilderness areas. And one thing I would not want is to be in a situation where my gun jams after my first shot.

happy glocking.
od
Yep...I'm with canyon man...put it back totally stock, check OAL and try again...every Glock I have owned since 88 fed HC handloads perfectly

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
Maybe I got lucky, but after a couple hundred rounds of shooting various jacketed bullets in my Glock 40 MOS, I switched to handloading a batch of SNS Casting's 220gn COATED hardcast FP slugs over AA7. (See link below).

These slugs have a reddish poly-coating over the lead boolit, and that coating imparts a 'slickness' to it that aids in feeding up the ramp. As well, it seems to inhibit lead build-up, but I always clean the barrel after shooting anyway, regardless of ammo-type.

About 400-rds of these 220gn FP boolits have now been fired through the factory tube and thus far there've been no bobbles. Accuracy is quite good.

For me, the G40 is a dedicated 'woods gun,' so these coated slugs are all I shoot in it. For my G20 or G29, I reload with jackets bullets.

Just FYI ...

https://www.snscasting.com/40-s-w-220-grain-flat-point-red-coated-500ct/

:cool:

·
391 Posts
Could you guys share some loading data for the UW and other heavy bullets? Also, could you help me with some chronographed data done personally. I had problems finding load data for these heavier bullets. Thanks for you help.

·
In The Saddle
8,124 Posts
Could you guys share some loading data for the UW and other heavy bullets? Also, could you help me with some chronographed data done personally. I had problems finding load data for these heavier bullets. Thanks for you help.
If your talkin 10mm. I used several powders. I only used heavy HC bullets, and did not load the lighter lead, cause I had no use for light weight stuff. 'One load,' I like is 10.5/10.7grs Blue Dot under the 180/200gr Hard cast WFN bullet. I do not know the bhn your running at, but I suggest 18 and up to 20, for the OEM barrels. To soft and the leading/fouling gets to be to bad. "Start" at 9.5grs. I went higher than all this, but highly suggest you work up to it for "your particular lead/lube/gun, etc."

Again, use a bhn of 18 and up. You can use softer bhn, but IF you do, in the OEM barrel, check it fairly often and keep it clean. I do suggest a harder bhn though. I have never (for me) seen the need for AM barrels, except for the "brass life," a bit better. The OEM glock barrels are plenty accurate enough for social work, and even in long rang playtime, and for hunting as well. The 180/200 gr XTP, works well with the data also. I do not use 220gr in 10mm, as we have found it "does not stabilize," as well as the 200gr WFN, especially in a HC bullet. This is over a long lot of years playing with the 10mm Glock. I got rid of them all a while back, as I got board with the round, and can do all i need to with the 45acp. (my go to favorite). ;)

Good luck amigo.
Stay safe.

CanyonMan

·
391 Posts
If your talkin 10mm. I used several powders.
Yes, 10mm. I Could have done better. Always helps to give the caliber. I have used Power Pistol in 10mm. I'd like to see some data on the 220 gr. bullet in 10mm. I sounds like the velocity is not high enough to stabilize the heavy bullet. Thanks for the help.

I'm staying home. There people are getting nuts around here.

·
In The Saddle
8,124 Posts
Typically, the 220gr cast have not stabilized well in our experience in G20. If your shooting up close, their probably fine, but 50yds and out, they have not performed near as well as 200gr. Not much on deer size game, and some hogs, and real small black bears, ya can't do with a 200gr WFN HC bullet. Anything larger than this, I suggest 44mag/45LC and up. ;)

No need to run heavy bullets at super high vels... ;)

CanyonMan

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
Depends on the bullet, powder, and likely on the barrel too.

The SNS Casting boolits I run seem to stabilize fine and are accurate. But that's a 220gn poly-coated HC FN slug under X-grains of AA7 from the G40's 6.2" factory barrel.

How would it shoot if these slugs weren't coated, but just exposed lead? :dunno:

How would it shoot if I was using KKM's 6" drop-in barrel for the G40 instead of the factory tube? :dunno:

Point is, change one variable and you'll likely get a different down-range result.

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
Yes, 10mm. I Could have done better. Always helps to give the caliber. I have used Power Pistol in 10mm. I'd like to see some data on the 220 gr. bullet in 10mm. I sounds like the velocity is not high enough to stabilize the heavy bullet. Thanks for the help.
Check the 10mm Reloading forum here on GT, or the reloading sub-forum on the 10mmFirearms.com board.

I've pretty sure you'll find posts on both by the hardcore 10mm handloaders (many of whom are also handgun hunters) sharing their reload data for the heavier 10mm bullets - 200gn & 220gns. Maybe 230gns too.

Reactions: roundball

·
10mm Philosopher
6,105 Posts
I'm staying home. There people are getting nuts around here.
No doubt that's you're best move.

While half the people are running around all scatter-shot looking for critical items they should've stocked up on years ago, and the other half are mutating into Wuhan zombies, :wow: ... you're safely seated at your reloading bench cranking out usable ammo. :thumbsup:

That's a Win/Win right there. :D ;)

:laughabove:

·
In The Saddle
8,124 Posts
Depends on the bullet, powder, and likely on the barrel too.
This too..

How would it shoot if these slugs weren't coated, but just exposed lead? :dunno:
This is what I been explaining in several post...

Point is, change one variable and you'll likely get a different down-range result.
Yep..

Hey amigo, again, what I am presenting here in my post is decades of the "typical" HC bullets. I have NO experience with 'coated'. But speaking for what "I know," at "longer ranges beyond 40-50yds, YMMV, I suggest staying with the 200gr HC, with a 18-20 bhn, and I can only speak for non-coated! This, Is how they shoot, in our experience in Non-coated. I load, I hunt. I shoot long range 300+ yards. Perhaps 'coated' in this 220gr weight works well, I do not know. Standard 220gr NON-coated have not satbilized well at longer distance than already mentioned several times.

I 'do know' 200gr HC as I have described several times, and with "ONE," load data I gave among several others, works extremely well out at even these ranges mentioned.

It would be good for the Poster here concerned with all this, to drop over to 10mm reloading as you suggested.. I got some good friends over there that will share more than I have time for at present, "AND," that would, be the best forum anyway! I agree.

Alright. Done for me here.
Adios boys.

Be safe!

CanyonMan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts