Hard cast bullets for limited use OK in a Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock-it-to-me, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

OK experienced Glockers, I could use some help.
    I'm looking to going into black bear country for some fishing next Spring and need advice. I have heard that it's not good to shoot lead bullets out of a Glock. I'm not looking to shoot a ton of it at the range, just enough to see if it functions. Is this a problem? It will be a backup - just in case - to my Winchester 94 Trapper carbine loaded with some very hot 335gr hard cast Double Tap rounds.
    I looking at Double Tap's 200gr hard cast WFNGC round for my G23. http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_26&products_id=210
    Seeing as how this is a very heavy duty round, I need a recommendation on what recoil spring I should use for this ammo. Would a 22 or a 24 pound spring be best?
    Thanks for your input.

2. Lawman90

Lawman90

I don't have any advice on spring upgrades, but you should be okay with that.

Now, shooting the lead bullets isn't really "bad" per say, but because GLOCKs use a polygonal rifling much like H&K's, the lead builds up more severely than a conventionally rifled barrel (lands and grooves). This just calls for a much more thorough cleaning. I've known a few GLOCK shooters that work at a shop near me that use lead bullets regularly, even reloads. Just be sure to give it a good cleaning after shooting them, but be advised that shooting lead bullets may void the warranty. (Anybody, feel free to correct me on this).

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

They will shoot fine but as already stated you will need to clean thoroughly before resuming jacketed shooting.

4. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Cool. It doesn't have a warranty as it's a Fort Lauderdale police trade in that must have been issued to someone that had desk duty as it's about 98% perfect and I had it check by my gunsmith.. I'll keep the cleaning part in mind.