Hard Cast (and not-so hard cast) Hammer Test-Time. Oink!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ammunition Attrition, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

The Apparatus: P8220621.JPG
    The hard rubber mallet because, well, I'm more accurate with it than with the standard steel model (ow! Toe-jam!) and, two, hard insulated with soft, like my favorite target, Oinkus oinkus porkulus. Will the rubber mallet just fold up to penetrating "hard cast" superhero boolits??
    Results to follow....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  2. fredj338

fredj338

Your gonna have to punch the poop out of a rubber mallet to get much on a hard cast. If you want to test exp, wetpack is cheap & repeatable, also biodegradable.:af: Smashing any bullet only tells you it's ductile. You can smash fmj of hard cast with a hammer, they never expand on anything.

dervisivitz dokes likes this.

3. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Well, the plan is this, Fred: First I'm gonna beat 'em with the mallet, see what that does. Then, I'll beat 'em with a steel hammer. Then, I'm gonna shoot 'em. It's very scientific. Is it wrong?

Mrbum likes this.
  4. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Here are the 10mm/.401 subjects standing in line awaiting the test:
    On the left is the Constant, K, Mr. XTP 200g. Next is Mr. Bear Tooth, in 200g. In the middle is Dr. Double Tap, again in 200g. Second from right is the svelt Oregon Trail in 180g and finally the commonplace Truncated Cone, TC, this one a C.B.'s Bullet.
    These are the 10mm subjects, before the change. Do you see? :teddy:

Attached Files:

5. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

In this unbiased test there will be: One Ping Only.

6. timmay

timmay

This thread reminds me of Jack accusing Zombie Steve of being the kind of guy who would sit around smashing steel balls with a rubber mallet. :whistling:

Ammunition Attrition likes this.
  7. fredj338

fredj338

No I just don't see the point of the hammer??? Hitting bullets with a hammer just isn't telling you anything. Your time though, no problem.

8. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Just having fun. Quoting from: Silence of the Lambs and Hunt for Red October in my last two posts to mess with you.
    I know this is serious 'bidness but those are famous quotes.
    Sometimes I feel like Heston in Planet of the Apes after he'd been chased down to the ground with the other humans, and when he looked up he saw the monkey was on the pony.
    That's quoting Dennis Miller.
    With shared love of firearms and their projectiles and means,
    AA
    Oh, and we got a new range president and we're still feeling him out on what we can get away with so shooting ballistic test objects might be pushing it. I'm waiting on someone I know I can influence to do it to show up:supergrin: Is it wrong? Yes. I'll do it.

9. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Okay, Fred, per my first post also we were absolutely right on the rubber mallet, but I had to see myself. A light blow, one ping only and.....negligible change to the point a photo's pointless. So as I predicted I upped the ante to stainless steel (with Galveston stainless rust) and again, One Ping Only, to quote Captain Ramius in The Hunt for Red October:

Attached Files:

10. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Now who said I wouldn't learn anything good in this test? No one, actually. Here are the results of One Ping Only with a steel carpenter's hammer. Look: Dr. 200g Double Tap (third from left) split from the blow! Ouch! That's a no-go for my piggy rounds right there, even though I hit a glancing blow--this could possibly occur with a game impact, also, when it glances bone.
    Bear Tooth developed a bit of a sway and the TC is, well, FP now. I was most impressed with the Oregon Trail .401 180g FN (fourth from left)--wish they made a 200g for deeper penetration. I gas check these O.T.s and haven't tested 'em on game or paper yet, but this is the boolit that held up the best of them all. Mr. XTP stands proudly, too.
    Importantly, there was no deformation of the bases, except for a mild case with the T.C., of unlisted Brinnell hardness.
    ***We know this is not entirely reflective of impact with game tissues, as the force is absorbed into, in this case, concrete, in addition to the front of the boolit, rather than an entirely one-sided impact event that occurs upon introduction of a flying boolit onto and into game. P8230632.JPG

11. fredj338

fredj338

Again, this isn't telling you how tough a bullet is or even remotely what it will do on game, but as long as you are having fun. Only time I smash bullets with a hammer is to break the plating so I can re melt it.:badpc:

12. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Oh, it's lots o' fun. With a light, glancing blow (it was weak fluorescent light, at night), I split the top of the Double Tap "hard cast" in two. I was stunned, shocked, I tell you. It was a big "tell" as a hunter.
    And of course, if it weren't fun for all of us we wouldn't do it. And GlockBook :lv:(tm) and you guys are part of that fun. You &^%$#ers.

13. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

Personally I can learn something from it, this is a good read, you may learn something from it.

http://www.lasc.us/AfricanHunt-CastBullets.htm#loaddata

We should be able to learn something from every shooting experiment, shooting game, people
    or wood.

Sometimes we learn the obvious.

14. fredj338

fredj338

By all means let us know what can be learned from hitting a bullet with a hammer, other than what a hammer does to a bullet. Same for shooting wood BTW, only tells you what a bullet will do in wood.:dunno:

15. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

I learned a 200g Double Tap hard cast 10mm boolit can't take even a light blow from a carpenter's hammer without splitting, for instance. Hence, I'm sticking to Bear Tooth and my lighter find, the Oregon Trail 180g 10mm or 38/40 for hunting purposes because some pigs I've run across have skulls harder than a carpenter's hammer. BT and OT bullets took the blow, while Double Tap got a splitting headache and folded under pressure. Literally.

16. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

But on to shooting these things, really. Much more fun than beating them with mallets and hammers. But one bullet is removed from inventory: the Double Tap. Hammer=1. Double Tap=0.
    On the positive: the Oregon Trail 180g and also, in .38/.357", their 140g FP, sized down from .358" to .357" and gas checked, took the beating best and kept good form:
    P8230636.JPG
    Oregon Trail 140g .357" is second from right, Magnus 158g is far right; far left is Mid Atlantic 125g, second from left is the Ranch Dog 135g in .357" which is quite accurate, but quite soft. I hit it twice 'cause it really smushed. Oregon Trail is the winner, and it, too, is fairly accurate. It's no XTP or Sierra jacketed, but for hard cast it's pretty accurate and definitely stout. I like.
    ***edit note: these were by no means smashing blows, but mild ones so that I hit the things somewhat accurately. I could do better but my questions were answered and BTs are expensive so...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  17. fredj338

fredj338

I am telling you, you aren't learning anything that translates into an animal. You can shoot thru 1/4" steel plate w/ a 50grJSP @ 2500fps in a 223, means pooo against an animal. A 300gr LFP 44mag @ 1000fps will make a decent dent in the plate, probably wont stop inside any animal smaller than 400#. As long as you are having fun, but I am not sure what you are learning.:notlistening:

18. Ammunition Attrition

Ammunition Attrition

Okay, Fred, your points have been registered and I'm back on the road of ballistic recovery: different mediums/i.e. targets vary greatly in their response to bullets--and not at all like a steel hammer blow. This was just to see the toughness of the bullet while I waited on some rifle gadgets (yes). Barely swung on 'em, really. Thought they'd take it and stand straight.
    Here's my hammer blow winner that I hope to test on paper and piggy once I can get away from my new :pig:rifle, i.e. probably next month or October: the 180g Oregon Trail 10mm/40 or 38-40

http://oregontrailbullet.com/shop/
    P7080581.JPG
    I wonder how many pictures we can post before space :fallenofficer:police get us.