Hanging drywall

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Current Resident, Jun 5, 2020.

1. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Thank you for the kind words sir. It’s a good trade to learn but not one of my kids were interested in learning it,i guess they’re smarter than i was. I’ve slowed down alot due to back and shoulder surgery directly related to drywall work over the years (38). I much prefer to paint nowadays as it’s just not as hard on the body.

byf43, FullClip, E-2-E and 2 others like this.
  2. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Ain’t that the truth. I get alot of requests to do drywall work on the side. I tell them no,i’m just to sore to do that **** after working a forty hour week doing painting and some drywall at work. When i was younger i was all over it but not anymore,time catches up with the body.

5.45 Shooter likes this.

3. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I used to work in an office where the computer was at the end of a hall. A security audit recommended that we have the computer under leak and key. I hired a guy that put up a wall and door using steel studs and dry wall. He subcontracted a guy to do the mud and tape. We didn’t want to get dust in the computer. The mud and tape guy was so good no sanding was necessary. The original contractor just painted the new wall, no sanding. Looked great.

orangejeep06 and Batesmotel like this.
  4. Caver 60

Caver 60

Hides sloppy work.

5. NoStress

NoStress

It would be really good if you could rope someone into helping you that knows what they are doing.
    We would always trim the butt edges on each sheet before we hung them. It can be done after they are hung but it is easier to do it before they are hung. It is worth doing. Cut out any bad spots even if they don't seem bad and mud them in. Make sure the sheet is tight before screwing. The screw will stop at the depth setting you give it and it might look good even though the sheet is not tight. You tube is your friend but someone with experience helping you is of course better.
    https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/how-to-finish-drywall-butt-joints.html

I dislike fiberglass tape and have always used paper. Do what you want but I would stay away from it.
    https://www.finehomebuilding.com/pr...erence-paper-and-fiberglass-mesh-drywall-tape

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. Resqu2

Resqu2

This might be a shameless hijack of a thread but since the drywall experts are here I’m going to ask, bought a house that has a ton of phone jacks and cable tv jacks in the walls, like way to many. I don’t want to put that many blanks on them so I’m looking at filling them in and just going the mud and sand route before we paint the place. What’s the best way to do this project?? I never worked much with Sheetrock besides filling in small holes. Thanks!

orangejeep06 likes this.
  7. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

This is how i do it. Works quite well on small holes. Don’t mud over the patch until it’s dry and then apply a couple coats of mud and you should be fine.

View: https://youtu.be/17awCvAA7Q0

E-2-E, Resqu2 and FullClip like this.
  8. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Is it true that ya' gotta' be French to be able to mud sheet rock? I can hang it pretty good but the few times I tried doing the joints it looked like Helen Keller got drunk and did it.

E-2-E and orangejeep06 like this.
  9. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

Yes it’s true. I’m part French Canadian and learned the trade from a gentleman from Quebec. Back in the 80’s to early 90’s it was dominated by Canadians. Hard working s.o.b.’s

E-2-E, Resqu2 and FullClip like this.
  10. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Buy GT and shut it down.
    Trigger all the alpha males.
    :)
    :)

11. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Quoted for the absolute truth of it.

Same goes for plumbing.

byf43 and FullClip like this.
  12. Prh555

Prh555

On the existing edge of the ceiling...scrape the edge and make sure there are no high points. I'm guessing the ceiling is painted with flat paint...so feathering out the mud will adhere. As far as tape...the perforated tape with adhesive works well...you size and peel off the backing.

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

This is a job I would hire someone to do - unless you really know how to do it (which you don't or you would not have started this thread)

I also include ceramic tile and installing shingles on a house in this bucket - things I can do but still hire someone else. Because they are hard physical work that you can hire someone to do for not that much money, the quality will be better and it will get done in a day or two instead of a week or more if I do it myself.

I had my bathroom remodeled - tore everything out down to the studs -

The two guys doing it knew exactly what they were doing - walls look perfect - took them about half a day - BAM they are done. I can't recall the cost, it was part of the larger project but even if they were earning $40 an hour each it would only be ~~ $300.

The little stilts they wore so they could do the ceiling work without a ladder was pretty cool.

Can you do it yourself - sure and it will look OK but it is a hell of a lot of work and if you find the right people you can get a better quality job, done much faster and it will not cost you that much more than doing it yourself.

:couch:

orangejeep06 likes this.
  14. peng

peng

I used to do lots of drywall repair work, got tired of it. Lots of resources online.

A few things you can learn that would help are the different types of mud and when to use them.

Hot mud or setting mud is my favorite. Comes as a powder you need to mix. It is not great for embedding tape joints because it lacks the adhesive of pre mixed mud.

It also dries pretty hard so you need to clean your tools or you'll be sorry.

The huge advantage is it does not shrink, and you can wet sand it. It has a chemical drying agent so once you mix it the clock is ticking. I use the 20 minute for small repairs and 45 for bigger stuff. Once you get good you can avoid sanding after drying nearly 100%. Use thin layers and you're all set.

As far as tape goes, I use paper, and wet it before applying.

It takes some practice to be honest. Your first jobs will look like Stevie Wonder trained by Helen Keller while drunk.

E-2-E and FullClip like this.
  15. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

^^^^^Absolutely correct!

Same goes for:
    Wallpapering
    Plumbing
    Electrical work
    Installing doors and/or locksets/deadbolt locks.

Or, even letting someone know that you have the tools to do any of the above!!!!

orangejeep06 likes this.
  16. 5.45 Shooter

5.45 Shooter

Hanging sheet rock is easy, taping & mudding to cover the joints & your mistakes is the hard part.
    I learned that the less mud you put on the better. Just cover the joint & tape on the first pass. I cheated & used the stick on mesh, I just couldn't get the hang of the paper tape. Then fill the joint depression on the 2nd pass. The 3rd pass use your widest knife to skin coat the whole thing with thin fine topping compound & you won't do much sanding. The guy that showed me how says that sanding is only if you got too much mud on or messed up & didn't get it smoothed out right. The biggest thing he said was not to hurry, do it in steps & don't go to the next step until the entire room is ready for it.

orangejeep06 and FullClip like this.
  17. bowtie454

bowtie454

Nothing will make people social distance you faster than telling them you are doing drywall.

byf43 and FullClip like this.