Hanger rent?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by M2 Carbine, Aug 13, 2005.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

This week I've had my new bird in the garage/barn trying to figure where the heck all these wires go.

The next step is to trailer it somewhere, reassemble it and see if I can still fly something with stationary wings.

Today I drove the 13 miles to a grass strip and talked to a fellow I knew slightly.
    He flew the observation float plane that was launched off battle ships circa WW2. Don't remember what that plane was called.

I asked him if there was any hanger space that I could rent for a month or two or several until I could hopefully fly the plane from my place.
    Turns out a big nice hanger has plenty of room for my bird and a couple others.

The rent is $75 a month, which I thought was pretty cheap considering a T hanger was $20 35-40 years ago.

Anyhow, I got to wondering, what do you airplane owners pay for hanger rent now days?

2. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

In this area (AL) hangar rent is about $100/mo. for open hangar to $150/mo. (or more) for closed. These are "T" type hangar prices. $75/mo. is indeed a good price.

Could that float plane have been a Kingfisher (monoplane) or perhaps Grumman Duck (biplane)?

3. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Tim I think it was the Kingfisher.

When I first met the fellow and asked him about the picture, I believe I asked if it was a Duck. Then I remembered the duck was a biplane.

That must have been interesting being catapulted off that short ramp, then having to land on and be picked up from a rough sea.

Everyone I met yesterday was older than me.
    There should be some good flying stories there.:cool:

That hanger rent doesn't sound too bad. Not owning a plane in years but with the way aircraft prices have risen, I figured closed hangers might rent in the $250 to $300 a month range.

I'll bet the price of aviation gas is going through the roof;Q
    Lucky my two flying machines burn "cheap" auto gas.

4. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

KABQ=
    Bay Hangar's are $100/$150 for ultralights/single.
    T's are $400

BTW, last weekend 100LL was $3.89

5. ChopperEd

ChopperEd

Out here in Las Vegas I work at Henderson Exec. Airport. (KHND) Our Shade hangers (Open) are 100 for a single, 150 for twin. The T hangers (our enclosed) are going for 300 a month.
    Gas Prices *shudder*
    3.35 100LL Self Serve
    3.55 100LL Truck
    4.27 Jet A

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Holy cow!!

$300 to $400 a month.
    Man in a year or two that can be some serious money.
    But of course there's nothing but Hi Rollers that live in Las Vegas.;f

Where I bought the UL, the owner was talking hanger rent and sharing but I think he said his rent was $200. (small town East of Dallas)

I believe one incentive for selling his bird was something like the airport owner was going to require the aircraft owners get a million dollars liability insurance;P

I think he said that he couldn't get it and couldn't afford it if he could get it.

7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Uncle M2, I've looked back through your recent posts and I can't find anyting about the new ride. Wadja get?

8. nu2carry

nu2carry

My hangar till I sold my plane last year was $300 a month...

That is what they go for here in the Detroit area...

Between fuel, hangar, maintenance, insurance, annuals, engine fund, and payments my plane was running around $1,500 a month.

It was expense I justified because of my love of flight.. I have a 14 year old step daughter that will be starting college in 4 years and I want to retire at 55 (which is 5 years from now) that in addition to all the BS, TFR’s here I decided to sell my bird.

I rent now or fly friends planes.. I think when I retire I will buy a project plane and move into an airpark..

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Oh, a used Aerolite 103 FW UL. Check over on the thread "FW ultralite pilots". There's a couple pictures of it on the trailers, last Sunday bringing it home.

I don't have any good pictures of it yet. It's still in pieces in the barn.
    Here's the web site for it.
    http://www.aerolite103.com/

I was so impressed when I first ran across it on the web that I started hunting for a used one. I don't really want to build a new one. Well, I'd like to but I'm just too lazy.

Bottom line is I want to fly it out of home.
    Whether the plane's preformance is enough and and I'm still good enough I'll find out in the next couple months.:)

10. Tennessee Slim

I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun. Not to mention more practical than dreams of a pressurized, all-wx Lancair 300. ;-)

11. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

My barely-big-enough-for-the-plane T is $250, here in the sticks.

In the Bay area, they can run well over $400, but it doesn't matter, the waiting lists often exceed a decade...

12. c6601a

c6601a

A Lancair, any model Lancair, is NOT an all weather airplane. Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots that think that and that is why we keep loosing several airplanes each year due to sheer over-confidence, including one that flew into a thunderstorm a few days ago and came out in pieces. If you are looking for an all-weather airplane, please please please do not buy a Lancair and increase our insurance rates further.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I guess that rules out my Aerolite to.

Actually, I think I'll be in trouble if I hit the turbulence from a formation of Geese.;f

14. ChopperEd

ChopperEd

Hahahah that's myth num. 2.
    Num. 1 is everyone thinks we live in hotels. Nah, these are just the regular 2 sized hangers.YOu can squeeze a c210 in there but it's a snug fit. We only have 6 on the field currently but we're going thru a major renovation. 96 are going to go up in its place.

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

If it's also a myth that most of the guys are dating those gorgeous show girls, I don't want to know the truth.;f

16. elgoatropo

elgoatropo

Why would a Lancair be more likely than any other normal category AC to break up? I understand that a fast wing won't tolerate much ice buildup. Is that what you are talking about?

17. Tennessee Slim

I picked the Lancair because they have a pressurized version, meaning it has the service ceiling to get over just about anything. But you sometimes still have no choice but to fly through the icing to get on top.

I suspect the Lancair’s “problem” is the same as the forked-tailed doctor killer’s. That is, the problem isn’t the airplane; it’s the loose nut holding the yoke. A lot of sleek airplanes have a typical cruise airspeed that’s well above the rough air penetration airspeed. Knuckleheads fly into a storm, where the reasonable pilot would expect turbulence, but fail to reduce to rough air penetration airspeed. That’s exactly why the tail fell off so many V-35s.

18. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

My enclosed T-hangar at KPNS runs $210/month ($225 with tax). Although it may seem a high price to pay, the reduction in maintenance and avionics work compared to sitting on the ramp in the weather is well worth the investment for me.

Plus, being able to drive my car out to the hangar, sit and tinker -- or visit with other aviation buffs and aircraft owners is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Now that I am building a Thatcher CX-4 ( http://www.thatchercx4.com/ ), having the work space -- even with the Cessna inside -- is very nice.

Boat slips in my area go for more -- so I don't feel os bad writing the check each month knowing that many of my neighbors are forking out more to house their "money pits"...

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

It seems like the average hanger runs about $200 a month for us poor folks.

That's a good looking plane.
    How much have you got done?

20. c6601a

c6601a

I specifically mentioned the Lancair because that is what the original poster had mentioned.

Lancair's (that is the experimental ones) have had several instances in recent years of pilots flying into thunderstorms. There have also been fatal accidents due to icing.

You can not just hope to punch though icing to get on top. On a reciprocating engine Lancair IV-P, you barely get 1000FPM climb. It will not get you through much. The turbine version can get you 3 times as much down low, but it is much more expensive and has its own problems. But neither will help you much if at your destination the controller needs to vector you around in icing conditions for 15 minutes for the approach.

I agree with the earlier statement that Lancair’s problem is pilots with more money than experience, skill and flying sense. Even more importantly, a sexy speed daemon status symbol like a Lancair IV-P attracts individuals with egos that are too big to fit in a tiny airplane -- any tiny airplane.