close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Handloads for Glock Model 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 40 S & W, Jan 9, 2006.

1. 40 S & W

40 S & W

I would like to know if any of you have successfully been reloading for you Glocks? I know that the factory doesn't recommend that you do so because the case is not fully supported in the chamber. Hodgdon also has a warning to the same effect, is it really that dangerous if you keep the pressures as low as possible.

2. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Hi Jim. Welcome to GT with your first post.

Quite a number of posters reload 40 Glocks and a small cadre reload lead bullets. All of us shoot with our weak hands because we blew up our strong hands when the reloads in the Glocks exploded. :);)

Check the reloading forum. And load from "heavy enough to operate the slide" (about 120 PF) to major PF. I don't recommend AA#5 powder. Full power loads may be OK, but check the brass for "smilies" prior to reloading.

3. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Homunculus

I do. I don't shoot the hotter ones out of my stock barrel, however. I use my Barsto to shoot those. On the other hand I have some data that is well below 35000 PSI yet score some incredible velocity. I have yet to shoot those out of the stock barrel, but I think I would.

Any gun manufacturer puts up warnings to not shoot reloads, Glock isn't any different.

4. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

4E - You're as crazy as ever.

Yes, you can reload for your Glock all day long. Same cautions apply. Don't do something stupid, and we won't call you "stubby."

5. bush pilot

bush pilot

I didn't think the nickname "Stubby" had anything to do with guns.Nobody tells me anything.

6. 4eyes

4eyes Provocateur

Psst. BP. Increase the dial settings on your hearing aids.

7. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Wha? Somebody say something?

8. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Yep I reload for Glock .40 with stock barrel on a regular basis. I prefer to load mainly target plinking type rounds that are fun to shoot so PF is very low. Ye old double charge (or overcharge depending on if you're flirting with the upper end of the acceptability range) is likely the leading cause of KB's in any pistol be it Glock or otherwise. Visually check each case for overfull status or use a powder that will overflow the case in the event of a double charge and you'll be good to go, provided that common sense is used in regard to the desired charge.