Handline

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Usingmyrights, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

Who here fishes with a hand line? Looking on tips for casting and retrieving. All the big fish seem to have moved to deeper water, and I'm seeing alot more brim (some even bite me when I'm swimming out by the sock). Wanting to put the pole away until next spring, and give a hand line a try.

2. Sharker

Sharker

well I was gonna tell you how we do it, but its all together different. Our fish regularly top out at 25-50 pounds. (AJs on reefs, some snapper and some big grouper)

I was talking to a mate in Kona Hawaii last month, and he regularly handlines 200 pound yellowfin tuna! YIKES!

3. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Jr Member

I'll stick with a pole for the larger fish. I have been wanting to get out into the inlets off the intercoastal with my kayak though.

4. Sharker

Sharker

I kayak the intercoastal alot fishing for Tarpon, trout, reds... you name it really!

If I was going for small fish on a handline, I would use a heavy dacron and then put a 10 foot section of light mono with the hook. Use a circle hook for best results I would imagine. I cant see doing it for brim, but catfish and bass, it should work! We used to throw catfish lines like that on Johnsons Lake when I was younger, using a brim for bait. Caught alot of catfish and bass on em!

5. BayEagle

BayEagle Guest

You see it a lot down Miami way. The old Cuban guys will stand on bridges with hand spools and catch damn near everything. My local bait shop, which is an Ace Hardware sells the hand spools. I've never tried it and don't hardly ever see anyone around here (St Pete) doing it.