Handicapped drivers, we need to talk

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Upgrayedd, Oct 24, 2020.

1. DonD

DonD

And I don't doubt you, I've had eye watering back pain, two surgeries, wouldn't wish it on anything but an ISIS terrorist. Don

treg likes this.
  2. Vito

Vito

I have a handicapped license plate on one of my cars. It was given to me when I was recovering from quintuple bypass surgery, followed by double knee replacement surgery. I expected to get a temporary placard, but the State gave me the permanent license plate. Most days I park in regular parking spots because I am doing OK. Some days I lack the energy to walk a great distance and on those days I use the handicapped spots. My other car, primarily driven by my wife, has regular plates.

My observations are that the truly handicapped rarely park in such a way as to interfere with other vehicles. It is the luxury car driver, with the BMW 750, or the Mercedes 300E, or the Audi A8 that seems to feel that they are entitled to park in a way that takes two spots to try to make sure that they avoid a ding in their door from another parked car. Oh, and add the Corvette owners to that list. I have seen Corvettes parked where they are taking up three parking slots.

DrVlad and DonD like this.

3. briarpatch

briarpatch

The problem a lot of times is that the tag or placard goes with the car.
    The wife or husband, kids, friends will use the car and park where most convenient which is a disabled parking spot.
    The person it was meant for may not even use the car.

4. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Then he should have parked in the other space. Strips = no parking.

5. DonD

DonD

You've gone through the medical wringer sir. Hope things go well for you. Don

6. sarge83

sarge83

There is No excuse for parking so terribly. And those that take up two spaces deserve everything that is heaped upon their vehicles. My brother hocks up nasty stuff and splatters their windshields if they park like an idiot, his way of dealing with them.

I have had to use handicapped parking since the mid 80's. I walk with canes due to a virus which destroyed my legs and balance. I have a stiff gait at times and honestly in the vein of House there are times when I consider getting up and wonder if what I am getting up for is worth the pain it's going to cause me with the steps.

Many times over the years I would pull into a handicapped spot and be preparing to get out of the car and place my handicapped hang tag and have people just glaring at me because I was in my teens/early 20's. I would open the door, get out and stand up and the looks of I could kill you, your disgusting shooting my was were awful at times. Then I would bend down and remove my crutches or canes, steady myself and close the door and walk off with the die go to hell looks going to I'm a duh boy look!

I had one lady at Walmart, she would be a Karen in today's terms just stop at the back of my vehicle when I pulled in the handicapped spot. She was coming out and stopped and was just absolutely glaring at me with an awful mean look on her face. I went through my process, hang tag, open door swing legs out and stood up, more disdain from her and she was about to tear into me, actually had opened her mouth to start fussing at me and I removed two walking canes, hit the lock button and closed the door. She just stood there, mouth hanging open and as I went by I said don't worry I just walk this way and use these canes for sh*&s and giggles and walked right on by her. She just stood there mouth hanging open, saying nothing as I went into the store.

larry_minn likes this.
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Just for all you haters, I parked like this for you today. Left it there for a couple of hours while I was shopping. Remember, YOU made me do this...this is YOUR fault, just because of this thread.

By the way, nothing happened: no damage, no notes, no tickets, no complainers, not one word. Nothing.

upload_2020-10-26_14-57-53.png

8. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

I cannot dump on bad handicapped drivers, as they are just a small subset of all bad drivers. I have to admit, I once followed a car sporting a handicap tag and the person's driving made me wonder if he drove like that due to his handicap or if he became handicapped due to driving like that.