21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Pinky Out
59,144 Posts
B4AE5C04-06CD-46CD-82A9-F155C5D03801.gif

·
Registered
381 Posts
We have cards that hang from the mirror when parked, and removed while driving. Nothing on the license plate or anything. So you would never know a car was being driven by a handicapped person unless they were parked.
We have the same type placards here in KY and they are supposed to be removed from the RV mirror when moving- however, most are kept in place while driving. So the comment a few posts above is very applicable.
Handicap; physical or mental? certainly applies here too.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
In Texas they could be ticketed for a handicapped parking violation.
Not kidding, parking in the striped zone (that is for vans with wheel chair ramps) is a violation even in you have handicapped tags.

·
First throwing ax bullseye.
2,396 Posts
Not all handicaps are visible. Most people would look at my younger brother and judge him to be a perfectly healthy man. Unless he tells people they would never know that due to an accident 3 years ago he is in constant excruciating pain. Some days he can barely walk and then he used his handicap placard. Pretty sure he can still park between the lines though.

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Ever notice all the hugely overweight using electric carts in Walmart? That's self inflicted in 98% of the cases. The cart only makes things worse.
Oe. Don
If this virus continues to kill people with two or more morbidities, there will soon be a surplus of electric carts.

·
Not Square
240 Posts
I'm not here to hate on you. I get that you have special needs and challenges. But y'all gotta do better than this. Empty parking lot, but missed the space by more than five feet. I see this all the time. Don't worry, I'm not going to shoot anyone like the chumps in Florida. I just don't get it
View attachment 854596
Really not seeing the problem here?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I'm referring to for example people getting out of new Corvettes and marching off like anyone else. You can't do that with a physical handicap.

Of course I support help for the truly handicapped, I despise frauds and there are plenty of those. Don
Don, I have a war vet friend who is a leg amputee. He tells me stories of people like you hating on him as he gets out of his sports car in a handicapped space.

He’s too much of a gentlemen to pull up his pants leg and show them his prosthetic.

But just consider that stink eye you’ve been giving might just be directed at someone who sacrificed for their country.

:flag:

·
Director of civil unrest
9,236 Posts
....or you could not waste your time dwelling on petty things that bother you to take the time to snap a photo so you can create a little outrage topic about it to random people on the internet.
Or you could not feed into it by showing your obvious disdain for people you falsely believe you are superior to.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
Handicap parking can be a tough thing. I don't know how many times I see people park in handicap spaces and practically jump out of the car and do pirouettes on their way into the store. Then my father, who has passed away, a veteran of World War II and Korea with legs so bad he could barely hobble had a handicapped card but would only use it rarely. He always said he wanted to leave the handicap spaces for people who really needed it. Almost made me cry sometimes to see him literally basically unable to walk and he had refused to use the handicap spot saving it for someone who needed it.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts

For those with a visual learning style. Why the striped spaces exist.
one of my nephews had Duchenne's Muscular Dystrophy. My Brother in law had a van with a lift. they didn't take him out all the time but when they did it was always a problem parking. a couple times people would park in the striped area after they were already away from the van. only once did he get angry enough to call the police, the owner was in a restaurant and wouldn't leave his table until he was informed the police were coming and he would be towed. guy was a total D!c#...

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts

For those with a visual learning style. Why the striped spaces exist.
Talk about visual learning, please go back and take another look, notice there is no striped space on the passenger side, in the OP photo. Maybe that's why the car is parked a bit to the side.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
Talk about visual learning, please go back and take another look, notice there is no striped space on the passenger side, in the OP photo. Maybe that's why the car is parked a bit to the side.
he parked in the striped area of the other spot. striped is not a parking spot anytime.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Some people have a temporary situation. Maybe they can’t afford to buy another new car? Let’s say he breaks tib/fib non weight bearing cast. With crutches, a walker behind the seat you can get from close.
The temporary placards are red and have an expiration date written on them.

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Don, I have a war vet friend who is a leg amputee. He tells me stories of people like you hating on him as he gets out of his sports car in a handicapped space.

He’s too much of a gentlemen to pull up his pants leg and show them his prosthetic.

But just consider that stink eye you’ve been giving might just be directed at someone who sacrificed for their country.

:flag:
Those ARE the exceptions. At the gym we used to go to, there was a sandbox war vet who had a below the knee amputation and prosthetic. Watched him run outside behind the gym.

I've been in good shape all my adult life and I had real doubts that I could have kept up with him even when I was in my 20s. He FLEW down the street, looked like a fitness model for a magazine.

There was another guy, absolutely ripped, shirt off wearing gym shorts beside his car in the handicap spots. So no prosthetic for him.

The people who abuse handicap plackards way outnumber those like your friend. I thank him for his service and admire his determination to do so well with his handicap. Don

21 - 40 of 68 Posts