Handheld GPS

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Passafist, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Passafist

Passafist

Looking for advice on a handheld GPS unit. I'm interested in map overlay and display. I also want one that had a "bread trail" on the display as well as a digital compass. I'm considering a Garmin Venture. Any and all advice and/or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

I have a Garmin GPS60CSx and love it. The best GPS by far. I use it for hunting, geocaching and driving.

I started out with the much simpler eTrex Legend (blue) and still have it. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted to upgrade.

3. Passafist

Passafist

Thanks Steve,

I researching that Garmin GPS60CSx now.

Whoa, that's over DOUBLE the price of the Garmin Venture. I just a poor boy trying to have some fun in the woods. I just want to find my way out of the brush. I was hoping to get away with spending about $150.00.

Thanks for the info though.

4. isp2605

isp2605

5. Passafist

Passafist

Thanks isp2606 ,

I'm checking those links out now.

6. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I've got a Vista CX and really like it. It's compact and full of cool features.

You can turn off the compass to conserve batteries if necessary.

7. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

No need to get their top of the line model, its just the GPS that I upgraded to.

actually, I still have the basic Etrex Legend (blue) GPS and it served me quite well. I just keep it on hand for a back up. It does not have the abilitity to use the SD cards, but it does wha it is supposed to do. I think I bought it for around $100.

They have upgraded their basic line so the newer versions should fall into your budget.

8. Passafist

Passafist

Steve in PA,

Thanks,

I picked one up for $119.00. Perfect for what I wanted.

9. AZBADBOY

AZBADBOY

Another +1 for the Garmin GPS60CSx. Yes it's the most expensive handheld they make but worth every penny. If you're wanting to get serious, need the best accuracy, with the highest possible reception in **** conditions this is the unit everyone needs. Completely unmatched in satellite reception currently for handheld units.

10. TRMN8R

TRMN8R Cage Fighter Lifetime Member

Actually, it's not the most expensive unit they have. The 76Csx is about the same price or a bit more, depending on where you shop; but, the RINO 530HCx IS their most expensive one, but well worth it, IMO. It literally has everything you could possibly need: barometric altimeter, electronic compass, radio interface (which neither the 60 or 76 series have) including a dedicated 24 hour weather channel, has an SD card slot (where as the 530 does not), etc., etc., etc.

Always thought the 530 was the best unit...until I saw the HCx. And, for the money (under four hundo on eGay, compared to around $540 "retail"), it's THE best bang for the buck.