Handguns Magazine>Is The Glock Gen 4 A Step?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ULVER, Apr 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. ULVER

ULVER Dixie Rebel

2. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

:dunno:

3. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

The article seems to share some of the frustrations people here have felt. And the Main issue is with the 9mm guns. And it seems what the article is saying is at the end of the day get a Gen 3 in 9mm and a Gen 4 in .40 S&W.

:50cal:

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Other companies hurting Glock? Glock is working 24 hours a day, 5 days a week in both Austria and the USA, cranking out and shipping brand new Glocks, and yet they are still 300,000+ pistols behind in filling orders. That is a pretty nice "hurting."

5. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

You know, I've listened to and read about Glock, GmbH being up to a half million pistols behind for years now. It's not true! If it were I wouldn't be looking at all of the Glock pistols so many dealers and distributors have regularly had up for sale. The three factories are busy for sure; but a lot of this business is contract sales for large corporate buyers; and those contracts - obviously - have long lead times attached to them.

Right now, Glock is getting, 'their butt bit off' by the encroaching competition. Glock Engineering and product changes have been (to be polite) lackadaisical; and the parent corporation's longstanding penchant for using the American market as a proving ground for untried and largely untested model designs is starting to catch up with them.

Everything on Planet Earth has a growth and development cycle. Stocks, bonds, lawnmowers, automobiles, people, and Glock pistols, too. You don't have to be a Wall Street analyst to recognize that the Glock, 'plastic pistol phenomenon' has peaked. Right now Glock designs and features are not unlike a middle-aged Hollywood starlet - In serious need of skillful medical help, a good remedial facelift, and judicious body work.

Glock, GmbH has goofed, badly, with the introduction of what is actually a rather ho-hum line of, 'new' models. Gaston's now completely out-of-it; and there's a vacuum where (reasonably) competent senior management used to be. Some days I get the feeling that if Glock introduces one more cost-efficient, 'improvement' into the production process, the pistols are going to start coming through made out of recycled soda bottles, or something.

As for myself? I've been a Glock owner for almost 10 years, now; and I've got the furrows in my forehead to prove it! Today, I have 3 very nice Glock pistols that I've put a lot of cumulative mechanical analysis and detail work into; and, now, this is as far as I'm willing to go.

I'm no longer going to: first, buy the Glock; then have to get the soft, or otherwise imperfect, finish off the slide by sending it and a barrel (That, often, has too much rebate showing.) out to be refinished in: NP3, Nickel Boron, or Black-T; and next change out all of the crappy contractor-supplied springs; and, finally, have to start fooling around with other things like defective: trigger bars, extractors, ejectors, recoil guide rods, and magazine followers.

Five years ago I had a serious case of the, 'Glock flu' and might have, (Heck, I did!) but no more; I'm done with all of the Glock home improvement stuff. Gaston's new girlfriend is going to have to clip her dividend coupons from company investors (and self-financed product testers) other than myself.

6. seed

seed

I really like the Steyrs and was completely in the camp of them being the next step up from Glock. However, they have had some issues. If you go on Steyrclub.com, you will run into some threads about problems with extractions and other reliability issues. These problems can be worked out, however they do make me a bit nervous. The good news is that Steyr's U.S. contingent, SAI is top notch in terms of customer service, last I checked. And Steyr is making improvements as they go.

That said, the Gen 4 is fine for a step, but Glock really should look into tiny 9's and or .380's that they can manufacture here to get around silly import restrictions. I challenge anyone to disgree that they would sell tons of them if they worked and were genuinely small enough.

7. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

I would buy an M&P, P30, or SP-01 before another Glock. Not saying they aren't good, just that in my opinion they are better offerings currently.

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Me too, but you need to change your screen name! ;)

9. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

I only buy glocks nowdays with a serial prefix of N series or earlier now due to 2 of my guns, a glock 26 R serial, a glock 17 gen 4 R serial, both having failures.

I sold them both , and now only have glocks in serial ranges from L - N serial ranges. all of which have mostly run perfect.

10. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

What about O-Q? My G4 19 starts with P. It's been perfect except for maybe 1 case in 100 to the head.

11. Glock_your_world

Glock_your_world

I have always been a huge glock fan but not nearly as much now since i bought my M&P over a year ago. I keep trying to make myself buy a gen4 g19 but every time I go rent one and shoot it beside my M&P the M&P wins hands down. I will admit it is all personal preference and have never had any issues with either weapon. right now the only glock I own is a g30sf and I am thinking about trading it.

12. Contact

Contact

None of the things you mentioned are known for being failure prone. I have 2 pistols that haven't had anything done to them other than minor polishing to clean up the trigger pull a bit, and they both run like a Singer sewing machine. They ran fine before I did anything to them, so even the polishing I did wasn't required.

Getting your slide refinished is a personal preference, not a requirement or something you can blame on Glock. They didn't advertise that you'd be able to buy a Glock in your choice of flavors.

You sound like a tinkerer, which is perfectly fine, but you can't sit here and tell anyone that Glocks are typically failure prone, or require any extensive work right out of the box to get them running right.

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:shocked: Come on! Do you think I blew in here, yesterday, on the back of a turnip truck? Just out of curiosity, does your mother know you're drinking and posting again? :supergrin:

Really! 'Like a Singer Sewing Machine' - Huh! You know, my uncle would be very glad to hear you say that. He was in charge of Singer's Main Engineering Department in Paterson, NJ for more than 20 years. (Yeah, it's true!) ;)

Wow! You certainly are a font of wisdom. Thank you so very much. I am, by the way, very glad that you don't mind scratches on your Glock slide; but, as for me, I don't care for the new much softer finish Glock is using. (You don't mind, do you?)

Yeah, I'm a tinkerer. In fact I actually have a degree in tinkering, as well as 9 years experience tinkering around with faulty and defective Glock pistols, right here, on this board. Is that OK, too? :)

14. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

I'll keep buying my Glocks!:supergrin:

15. 8th ID

8th ID

I bought a used G36, which has been perfect through a couple thousand rounds. Bone stock, except for aftermarket sights. My Gen4 g19 has been flawless through about 1000 rounds now. I trust them both with my life. I also have a Caracal C in 9mm. It was designed by Wilhelm Bubits. The Caracal runs perfect. Much better trigger than Glock out of the box. The downfall of the Caracal pistols are the two-dot sight system. The rear notch is too narrow. If aftermarket sights, etc. become available for the Caracals, I believe the brand will give Glock some serious competition.

16. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

I am not competent to judge, I have simply read this:

Glock is having issues with upper mgt chaos and Gaston no longer active, but....

The Sig forum is questioning the reliability of to 2022;

Walther is now the red-headed step-child of Smith and Wesson, and the once flagship piece, the PPK, is a dice-throw interms of reliability;

Smith and Weson, the iconic American brand, can't land a decent goverment contract;

Beretta has launched and dropped more product lines than I can keep track of;

Steyr couldn't land an Austrian contract, leaving the opening for Glock;

In short I think we may be reduced to all buying FNs.

I don't know of any mfg that isn't having a hard time with its models right now. Maybe it has always been thus and we are just more aware of it now.

17. Contact

Contact

My drinking and posting is no concern of yours, my good sir! (BTW, I call it Droasting.)

That's awesome!!

Battle scars, my friend! Every time I get out of my patrol car and bang it on the door or get it caught in my seatbelt, I just look around and make sure everybody saw how cool I looked.

Probably due, in part, to your constant tinkering and swapping out adequate factory parts for different (read: non-factory) "better" parts. ;)

Everyone has their opinions, and I enjoy reading them. IMHO, the Glock is a work gun, not a high dollar custom gun. I will look into the scratch issue on the Gen 4 guns, but I can honestly tell you that my G27 (Purchased new May 2006) and my G23 (Purchased new July 2009) show no visible wear on them whatsoever, and they are both carried either concealed or on duty daily. Yeah, they're a little bit ugly, but I just couldn't ask for a better workhorse of a pistol. Maybe I just got lucky.

18. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Well, at least, you're a good sport; so I'll take it easy on you. See how much fun you've had getting into this with me. Aren't you glad, now, that I posted those complaints for ya all to consider and fume over!

For the record: I'm much more of a perfectionist than I've ever been a tinkerer. Yes, I just finished building a new Glock; but it's the first time I've done anything like this in more than 5 years.

When it comes to tinkering I usually do all of mine, right here, and on other people's Glocks. Some people will tell you that I'm pretty good at it, too. (Including several police officers whom I've gone back and forth with a few times.) ;)

19. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

And in all those years your cumulative grip strength has not increased beyond the capacity to crush a rotten grape. Maybe shooting just isn't for you!! :upeyes:

:rofl: :laughabove::animlol::animlol:

20. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:agree: .................................. :perfect10:

You know I dont think Ive heard of one company who doesnt have a customer with an issue. Its like saying there are no unhappy iPhone buyers.

The Sig forum has been blazing about the P250 before its new version. So yes after a few years they had to re do it and Sig is a great company. lets not forget all the guns they have discontinued.

Beretta, dont even get me started, does anyone see any Cougars (insert hot older woman pics here :supergrin:) or even many PX Storms or 96's. Shotguns, wow they are really nice especially for sporting clays.

S&W just cut their SD line and their aside from their M&Ps do you see any other of their non 1911 guns around, yes there are still agencies with the 5906. And not let forget their "great" sucess with the Sigma or the Cheifs special line that was a worse bust then the Gen 4 9mm Glocks will ever be.

Glock will have its growing pains with the Gen 4, they have a few hiccups with the Gen 3 when they came out. Plus, slowly but surely it seems that they have/are addressing the Gen 4's and we are hearing less issues.

:50cal: