Glock Talk banner

Handcuffs off duty?

2463 Views 29 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Gombey
Do you carry cuffs off duty? If so regular cuffs/thumb cuffs or some other type?
I don't right now but possible reconsidering that decision in light of some of the events of late. Thoughts, recommendations and ideas appreciated.

James
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't carry them on me. I leave a set of regular cuffs in the glove box though.

I figure the on duty guys will have cuffs. The pair in the glove box are for the unlikely chance the responding officers need an extra set.

· Registered
7,089 Posts
If I had power of arrest on the street, I might with things as they are. In my case as a professional attitude adjuster, no.

Concealed carry with permit, an MKVI of DefTec 1.3%, and a cell phone.

· GTDS Member #49
10,103 Posts
I have a pair at the house. Not the fuzzy for recreation type either. An old pair of S&W. I'm a long way from the cop shop, and I'd rather have a wanna be bad guy cuffed while waiting for the good guys to show up than merely holding him at gun point. I keep zip ties in the vehicle.

· Registered
7,089 Posts
I have a pair at the house. Not the fuzzy for recreation type either. An old pair of S&W. I'm a long way from the cop shop, and I'd rather have a wanna be bad guy cuffed while waiting for the good guys to show up than merely holding him at gun point. I keep zip ties in the vehicle.
Consider one of these, if you do not have some already, amigo. Larger sizes available. 1.3% is rated about the same as bear spray.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Defense-Tec...epper-Spray-/381342507435?hash=item58c9c8e1ab

· A Grouchy Old Half-Blind Fat Guy who limps .....
591 Posts
I have been retired for 15 years, that said I ALWAYS had a set of Standard Handcuffs on my person & also a pair in the POV. Even carried a set in the POV for a year or two after I retired, I do live in a pretty remote area with LEO & Fire response time of at least 30 minutes.

EDITED to add: Within the year or two after retirement most of my duty gear went to needy Coppers ( Rookies & Reserves ). I just checked and I still have NIB set of S&W Standards in the cabinet down in the Mudroom .... ;o)

· Registered
1,421 Posts
Two flex cuffs in glove box. I find they ride quieter than the metal ones.

In the trunk in a bag I've got pair of regular cuffs and other stuff that could be found on duty belt.

· Registered
446 Posts
I would think, if you are off duty, wearing street clothes and no radio, you'd be inclined to wait for on-duty officers before considering attempting to restrain someone. Initiating confrontation under those circumstances seems an unnecessary risk.

Reactions: cowboywannabe

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,068 Posts
Flex cuffs. More for "show" than anything.

· Registered
10,643 Posts
I do on occasion. I should more often. Other than the obvious use to restrain someone, it occurred to me, when the handcuffs come out, it pretty much tells everyone that you really are the PO-lice.

Peerless has just come out with an aluminum set that are unbelievably light. I have air weight Smiths, Hyatts and even American Handcuff company, but they are all getting kind of valuable on the collectors market.

· Registered
18,133 Posts
I would think, if you are off duty, wearing street clothes and no radio, you'd be inclined to wait for on-duty officers before considering attempting to restrain someone. Initiating confrontation under those circumstances seems an unnecessary risk.
Sure you might not want to and avoid it if possible but life isn't that simple in the real world.

· Mr. Awesome
12,686 Posts
Required, by policy, when carrying under LEO creds (no longer required, to open or concealed carry, in KS). I just keep a pair of Tuff-Ties in a pocket.

http://www.tufftie.com/

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Never did, until about 2-3 years ago. I carry a pair of S&W 100's in a Mika Pocket Cuff Case, which I find extremely comfortable to wear...

Sure you might not want to and avoid it if possible but life isn't that simple in the real world.
As mentioned, sometimes trouble finds you.....

· Registered
2,111 Posts
I carry three or four pair of Tuff-tie disposable handcuffs. They are braided nylon and you could put 20 or 30 of them in your pants pocket. Not very likely to need them but as mentioned above, if someone screws up bad enough for me to take action off duty, they need to be restrained somehow. If it is going to be a long wait for a unit to respond, just handcuff the guys hands behind him and then handcuff his ankle to his wrists. Unless someone cuts him loose, he won't go very far.

· "Old Bill"
2,775 Posts
Retired 24 years now. Still keep a set in the car. Old habits die hard.

Reactions: Mtnfolk75
1 - 20 of 30 Posts