close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hand wind watches

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sierrafast, Aug 7, 2012.

1. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Anybody here own one? I am serously considering buying an Omega "MoonWatch" Speedmaster Professional and it has a hand winding mechanism. I am not sure I can get used hand widning this watch on a regular basis. How often do you have to wind these these watches? They do sell an automatic version of this watch but then this would not make it the original version of the "MoonWatch" that NASA chose for all manned space mission in the early 1960's.

2. devildog2067

devildog2067

Power reserve on a handwind Speedy should be in the neighborhood of ~40 hours. Give it a couple of winds every morning when you put it on and you'll be fine.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What's so hard about winding up a watch every two or three days? Takes about 30-seconds.

4. VELO

VELO

You won't be sorry if you go with the original Speedy. I had one of the modern ones and really enjoyed it. Winding it everyday was one of those things that I thought was cool about it.

Like devildog said, just a couple of winds in the morning and you'll be set.

I sold mine to fund a different watch, but have purchased a '68 or '69 pre-moon Speedy that I need to have refurbished. I can't wait until I can get it done.

Go ahead and get one. It's an iconic watch that'll never go out of style.

5. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Do. It.

[​IMG]

Wish it were my pic. But it's not.

6. VELO

VELO

Ah, the old sapphire display back. That's a nice look. The movement is a bit different in this one as they replace the delryn brake with a metal one for aesthetics. Who wants to see a chunk of white plastic?

There's also a bit of controversy about the wording on the display back. It says "the first and only watch worn on the moon". The solid caseback doesn't say "only". There's proof that a Rolex GMT was also worn on the moon so some say the display back is incorrect.

Did I mention I'm a bit of a Speedy geek?

To the OP: There are a couple of options on the Moon watch. One being the display back that Bushflyr posted. The clear part on this is a sapphire crystal. The crystal on the dial of the Speedmaster is hesalite (aka plastic). You can also get a Speedy called the "Sapphire Sandwich" that has a mineral crystal and the display back straight from the factory.

Or you can just go with the original that has the solid caseback and hesalite crystal.

Maybe you already knew this......

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  7. devildog2067

devildog2067

Who wore a GMT? The only one I can think of was Swigert in Apollo 13, and he didn't actually wear it ON the moon.

8. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

This is the watch I am talking about for those who have never seen it.
    [​IMG]

9. sierrafast

sierrafast Coleccionista

Thanks for sharing. I did not know this.

10. gigab1te

gigab1te

Ron Evans (the pilot of the Apollo 17 Mission Command Module) sent his Rolex down on onto the surface of the moon in a box carried by Cernan.

Evans' family later sold the watch, which is how the Rolex on the Moon story came to be known.

11. harrygunner

harrygunner

Still won't be the movement used in the NASA missions.

I wanted to buy one for that reason and found that the use of the word "Moon" was marketing more than anything.

12. VELO

VELO

True about Swigert and his GMT on Apollo 13. It never got to the lunar surface.

However: http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/first-rolex-moon-watch-to-be-auctioned.html

There was a GMT that was worn to the lunar surface on Apollo 17. It was owned by mission commander Ron Evans who gave it to Cernan and Schmitt to take with them to the moon while he orbited during the mission.

There's also evidence that Astronaut David Scott (Apollo 15) wore a Waltham on the moon after the crystal popped off of his Speedmaster.

From Apollo XV, astronaut David Scott:

142:14:22 Scott: "Verify cabin at 3.5." Okay, cabin's at 3.5. Suit circuit's locked up at about 4.4. My PGA is coming through 5 and decaying. And let's slip on a watch.
    [Dave may have had his watch hanging from the instrument panel and, in any event, he is now putting it on and is probably starting the stopwatch function.]
    [Scott, from a 1996 letter - "I do not recall ever having looked at my watch after egress. In the cabin after EVA-2, I noticed that the crystal of my Omega had popped off sometime during the EVA. Therefore, on EVA-3, I used my backup Waltham watch (which was) of a similar type. It worked just fine during the even higher temperatures of EVA-3.]".

The Speedy was certainly the first watch on the moon, but not the only.

13. VELO

VELO

Yep. That's why I was so stoked to find my pre-moon Speedy. It's the same exact watch worn on the moon.

14. VELO

VELO

Be careful about buying from Amazon. You may not be covered by the factory warranty.

15. gigab1te

gigab1te

Apollo 14 astronaut Ed Mitchell also claimed to have worn a Rolex while on the moon.

Now, since this is a GUN board, does anyone know (without googling) what the first handgun in space was?

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

That Russian survival thing, right?

17. gigab1te

gigab1te

Yep, a Russian Makarov in the survival kit. They later replaced the makarov with a wicked looking pistol with 3 barrels that also fired shotgun rounds and mounted to a machete.

18. Marlowe

Marlowe

My Dad bought an Omega "Moonwatch" in the early '70s. He gave that watch to me in 1991. I've worn it ever since. It's been serviced twice, is very accurate and totally dependable.

It's a breeze to wind---which just becomes part of your daily routine.

If you like the watch, get it. It's a great Chronograph. It certainly is Iconic, as noted by others, and more affordable then the Rolex Daytona and the Breitling Navitimer.

19. benz mechanic

benz mechanic

here's my man. wind watch, I dont wear it to much but love the display back detail

Attached Files: