close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hand Polishing G27 Slide

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by FoMoCowboy, Oct 10, 2011.

1. FoMoCowboy

FoMoCowboy The Regulator

Okay, I have seen that this has been done before, and that there are other threads on this very forum that go over the same thing. However I am doing a "budget" slide polish, meaning I'm only using sandpaper and steel wool, no bench grinders, no polishing compounds, no dremels etc. I AM going after the smooth chromed look, and that seems to be the most work is getting the pores out of the metal, Below are the pictures of the progress I have so far, I also put up a few videos on youtube, you can check out my channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/fomocowboy?feature=mhee (If you want to see some of the videos on my glock, I'm not trying to "promote" my page here, most of my videos are more family oriented for the most part) and you can browse my videos for my G27 mod videos, (edit: I put the G27 videos into a playlist for easy referral) I only have about 20 videos, so it shouldnt be too hard finding them. Anyways, here is the progress as of now, the left side (serial number side) Is by far the furthest along, the top can give you a good idea of what your gun can look like if you want to keep the texturing but want to remove the finish, and the right side (ejection side) is hardly touched although it seems that while the texturing is heavy, the metal darkens back up a bit with very little time, so that should be noted. I am also aware of the issue of glare in the sight picture, I dont believe this will be a problem with this short of a slide (I imagine it could pose a problem with the full size and competition size slides) but if it turns out it does glare too much, I do believe I'll just have the gun blued, which I might do anyways. The biggest reason I started this project is the gun was purchased used and the slide was very hammered, so I didnt know if I wanted the polished look or not to begin with, and still havent made up my mind 100%. Let me know what you think.

Alright, cant figure out how to put pictures right in the post, so I'll have to just put up the links. sorry guys

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/009vea.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/010kph.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/97/011apv.jpg/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. FoMoCowboy

FoMoCowboy The Regulator

A quick update, I used a knife sharpener, the kind that is a thin plate of metal and encrusted with diamonds (or at least thats how they advertise it) and it took the pores out in a hurry, I made more progress in 5 minutes than I had in probably 15 hours with heavy grit sandpaper, and since the sharpener is based on a flat piece of metal, it didnt have any of the "rounding" effect I was getting from the sandpaper, so now I just have to buff out the light hatch marks from the stone, and it should be good to go!

3. maddy345

maddy345 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

4. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

Looks good! They say the tenifer treatment isn't harmed by doing this to a slide. I still wonder how it would affect durability for an edc gun though.

5. tonyparson

tonyparson

deleted

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. FoMoCowboy

FoMoCowboy The Regulator

First off, THANKS maddy345 for sticking the pictures right on the page, I couldnt figure it out

I dunno about the tenifer treatment, as far as what I've done, I'm sure any kind of treatment is removed, I would guess I've removed a few thousands off the slide but I'm not sure what problems that would ever cause. this is my normal EDC gun, but with it coming into winter, I can conceal my G22 easily enough so I dont mind this one being down for a little while. I dont see it having any functional problems because of it, nor do I see it having any finish issues when its done, but I guess I'll find out. I'll keep you all updated on my progress and any functionality issues if any.

7. hddave

hddave i want more!

Looks like you have put alot of work into that polish job, It is definetely unique. It should be a real head turner when you're done!

8. gbarber010

gbarber010

That is very good looking. I like it.

9. smitty704

smitty704

Wow, now that is the definition of a mirror finish. Nice work.

10. FoMoCowboy

FoMoCowboy The Regulator

Here is a quick video update, I didnt take any pictures but you can count on pictures of the final result to be posted here (Hopefully I figure out how or someone will relay them on the page for me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c6V3uXaklA

11. FoMoCowboy

FoMoCowboy The Regulator

[​IMG]
    a little update, the rest of the gun is a little far behind but this side is about finished up

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  12. 125K9

125K9

I'd carried a personally owned early 2nd gen. G19 on duty for 10 years and was getting extremely tired of the rough finish on the slide. It had also worn severly. I took what was left off one night, quite easily by hand, and it came out looking like brushed stainless. I continued to carry it, on duty, for three more years before changing over to an issued G22. I did go over the slide every 3-4 months with Eezox but never had any corrosion problems. No scratching or anything.