close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hand Loads at GSSF Matches

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 4-Fun, Sep 17, 2011.

1. 4-Fun

4-Fun

I have been a member of GSSF going on three years now. However, I have never found the time to shoot a match.

I have read the GSSF rules book several times, and I believe it to say that only "new" manufactured ammo is allowed at the matches.

Several times on the forums I have understood members refer to a particular (handload) to be their "match" load.

I have a 147gr. FMJ handload for my 9mm that I shoot much better that white box winchester, blazzer, of Federal 115 gr. loads.

Can I use my handloads at GSSF matches or not?

4-Fun

2. gary newport

gary newport

YES, you can use your reloads in GSSF competition! Many of the experienced shooters who hang around this forum do exactly that.

There are (or were) two considerations with reloads. One has to do with voiding your pistol's warranty if you shoot reloads--whether you do the reloading or whether it is done commercially. (This is a common disclaimer among firearms manufacturers.)

The second (for which I have never seen any official documentation in my experience with GSSF since 2003) was the tale that, if you had a malfunction during a GSSF match, you might be granted a reshoot if you were using factory ammo but would NOT be granted one if you were shooting reloads. The 2011 rules explicitly state, in the "RO Notes" to the stage descriptions: "If competitor has an equipment or ammunition failure, competitor may have one reshoot attempt at a 'clean' run." Note that nothing is said about whether the ammo is factory or reloaded.

Care to share the recipe for your preferred 147 FMJ load?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

you should get a reshoot if you have a problem, doesn't matter what ammo or who's ammo you're shooting.

4. njl

njl

That was the rule for years, but it was somewhat recently (past few years) changed. IIRC, the rule now is that you get one reshoot if you have an ammo/pistol related stoppage during a stage (doesn't matter if you're shooting factory or handloads). If, after the armorer checks out your pistol, you continue to have problems, I think your SOL.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Shoot those reloads !

6. MajorD

MajorD

I always use factory at gssf, often at other non glock sponsored events I'll use reloads alot. While I very much trust my reloads and have never had any issues with them, I'd just as soon use factory in a match I'm paying a hundred bucks to enter plus travel expenses etc.
    Considering that glock inc (like every other gun maker) says reloads void the warranty,I'd stick with factory for the matches. so theres no controversy if something does happen.
    I've never seen anyone given a hard time about what ammo they use so if you feel you want to use reolads go ahead
    The accuracy requirements for gssf are not extreme so even the least accurate ammo you've ever shot in your particular gun will still be accurate enough.

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

8" target at 25 yards AT SPEED?

You keep shooting your inaccurate ammo, I'll take the best I can get.

When I first started loading my 9mm with 147grainers, I was going as low power-wise as I could and still cycle the gun. Only to find out.. groups looked like a shotgun. I boosted up to 915fps (133 or so PF) and groups tightened up considerably. Granted, we're not shooting bullseye here, but IMO, you need your ammo as accurate as possible because it's certainly very easy to create INACCURATE ammo. No thanks.

8. 4-Fun

4-Fun

I'm shooting a mid-range load of Accurate #7, Win primer, and Delta Percision 147 FMJ.

I almost passed the load up because I was using my G26 for testing on one particular evening. The load shot better than Win. white box or Federal range ammo, but it was not quite what I was looking for out of the 26. I had about 15 rounds when I left that day, so the next time out I shot them out of my 19. My 19 loves them!!

Accurate #7 burns pretty clean--and fills the case enough so that I can visually check for powder charge while reloading.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  9. 4-Fun

4-Fun

I can appreceiate your prespective.

4-Fun

10. gary newport

gary newport

Thanks! My current competition 9mm load is: Montana Gold 147-grain CMJ flat-nose, 3.6 grains of Bullseye, Federal primers, COL of 1.130.

11. MajorD

MajorD

ron- coming from shooting bullseye where an 8 inch group at 50 yards wouldn't be competitive let alone at 25, In compariosn the accuracy requirements are not that great . any glock with any factory ammo should VERY easily shoot a 5 inch group at 25 yards with no problem. whenever I get to those 25 yard targets I slow down a bit and take careful aim and trigger squeeze and out of 3 matches shot at every GSSF I might have 6 c or maybe a single d on the 25 yard targets.
    shooting accurately slowly will get you further ahead in gssf than speed.
    as skill and experience develop speed will arrive as it ALWAYS should after accuracy.
    I have managed a few sub 4 second plate runs, but I'd rather be mid 4's using only 6 shots

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

on the plate i like being sub 2 second runs and use a full magazine if i have to.

13. SARDG

SARDG

I didn't see G18s with 33-rounders in the rules. What page was that on? :whistling:

14. PM720

PM720

:rofl: I think this IS possible when you have a barrel bushing on your Glock! :supergrin:

Scott

15. ede

ede Bama's Friend

I'm glad to see you were paying attention in another thread and was able to referance it here.

16. SARDG

SARDG

I'm pretty sure we believe everything you say, Ed.