Hammer-time in the heat.... P89 25 year anniversary range trip!

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by NitLion, Jul 16, 2018.

1. NitLion

NitLion

A couple of years ago, I went out on one hot, steamy day to shoot three hammer guns - a P229, a P226 and a P89! Well, I wilted under the withering warmth before the P89 got its turn! Last Tuesday, I went out under similar conditions, only this time the P89 was first in line! Why? Because, this particular P89 was manufactured in 1993, making it a 25 years old firearm...and that it one of those special anniversary dates!
    It was a sultry 89 degrees out. Now I know for some of you, those conditions are a walk in the park. But I am not a fan of hot weather - I don't seek it out, I don't enjoy it and I don't tolerate it well. The P89 didn't seem to mind - it ran great! Here are six shots at 14 yards with Federal - 115g - FMJRN (Aluminum):

P89 FedAl more paper.jpg

Kinda a funny group, but this old girl can still lay them in there! I have two steel targets at 18 yards and I was 5-5 on each of them. Here is the 8" round steel:

P89 FedAl round steel TAB.jpg

20 round Mec-Gar magazine shown in first two pictures. All rounds fed, fired and ejected perfectly!
    The popper at 22 yards and the gong at 25 yards saw a few "flybys" as I went a combined 8-13 on those. I was tickled at hitting the knockdown at 33 yards all three times. Here is the first time (and I almost obscured the hit with the pistol):

P89 FedAl KD.jpg

I hit the large "far steel" at fifty yards 8 outta 12 times.
    Enough with aluminum cased ammo... I now went to steel-cased ammo. Here are six shots with Wolf - Military Classic - 115g - FMJ on paper at 14 yards:

P89 WMC more paper.jpg

Yes indeed, The P89 seemed to like this load just fine. It functioned flawlessly in the pistol as well! I was perfect on both 18 yard steels again...annnnd here is that 8" round steel again!:

P89 WMC round steel TAB.jpg

In the background, you can get an idea of the range layout - the popper on the right, gong and 50 yard steel on left! Actually I was almost perfect on all the steels. I had one miss on the gong at 25 yards and one on far steel. Here is 4-4 on the 22 yard popper...and a pretty good cluster:

P89 WMC popper TAB.jpg

And here is 15-16 at the Big Steel silhouette at fifty yards:

P89 WMC far steel TAB.jpg

Two of these just grazed the steel (lower left corner & left center) but I was happy to have those results with inexpensive steel cased ammo.
    Speaking of inexpensive, I purchased this pistol used for the exorbitant sum of $222.22. On to some good ol' brass cased ammo now with Remington UMC - 115g - FMJ - shots at 14 yards:
    P89 UMC more paper.jpg

My first shot was the high one and I wasn't happy with it, so I added one more shot on the end. Anyway, those are all seven shots. This is a first year production gun of the Decock-Only model. Notice the lanyard that were on the earlier models. I had my first miss on the knockdown target at 33 yards with this load.(probably not the loads fault.....lets blame it on the heat!):
    P89 UMC KD TAB.jpg

Still, 2 fer 3 with the brass cased and 7-8 overall....? I'll take it!! I sorta fell apart on the 25 yard gong, going only 3-7 but dropped in 11-12 at the fifty yard steel:

P89 UMC far steel TAB.jpg

Totals for this gun:

500 rounds representing 9 different offerings!

I can't recall a failure up to this point... having now shot brass, steel and aluminum cased ammo as well as factory reloads. No hollow points yet but there is time! Well...I hope! I hope I am around to do the 50 year anniversary report!

Parting shot: First three rounds of Wolf Military Classic ammo at 18 yard small silhouette:

P89 WMC steel.jpg

trisax62 likes this.
  2. kjphilippona

kjphilippona

Nice shooting, I don't shoot my P89DC much anymore :(

NitLion likes this.

3. NitLion

NitLion

Get that baby out and get reacquainted!!:baby:

4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Nice shooting.