Ham Radio = Slow Forum????

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by martho, Oct 29, 2005.

1. martho

martho

Is there any ham radio related topics which will spark an interest? How about an ask elmer section?
    The DX thread have died a slow and painful death. I guess no one is really into that here.

So, what are you into?

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

I just typed a long answer to this and GT kicked me out before I posted it and I lost it all. I don't feel like typing it again. Too bad, it was good too. Here's the readers digest version of the list of things I am into.

APRS
    APRS via satellite
    Satellite voice coms
    eventually packet

and working on code.

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

There just don't seem to be enough hams here to get into any lively discussion like there are at other forums. ie qrz.com or some of the Yahoo groups.

4. martho

martho

So, you are working HAMSAT?

I am on most passes during the morning times.

Maybe we can make a phone sked?

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

No, Martho, I have not worked HAMSAT. I have pretty much only worked ISS at this point. I am pretty new to this whole thing. My biggest problem right now is that I don't have a rig that will do 1khz steps and a 5 khz step is a pretty big step for doppler shift.

When I figure out how to manages doppler shift a little better I will probably become more active on Satellite coms. But that's what I am into right now meaning, "that's what I am learning".

I will look into HAMSAT though. By that you do mean VO52 right?

6. martho

martho

What all mode rig are you using for the birds?

Does it have Sat mode?

You should be able to move the VFO in 10hz steps, so I dont know why you are moving in 5Khz steps.

7. lomfs24

lomfs24

Well, that's the deal. I am not using an "all mode" sat rig. I am using an Kenwood TM-D700A. That's why I am moving in 5khz steps.

8. martho

martho

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Makes much more sense now. So, you are working AO-51(or at least trying) and ISS repeater.

You shouldnt need to worry about the smaller steps on the ISS repeater. I have worked it from the car on FM many times. 5KHz steps are not gonna make it impossible and surely wont make it any harder. The big problem with the FM birds is they can only capture one signal at a time. The 100w - 200w FM signals coming up on az/el yagi mounts are going to win everytime. Trying to work the FM birds with a normal set up is challenging. You can work the birds with a talkie and a handheld yagi (I have one of the Arrow beams) but it is not an easy task. The ISS repeater is only in voice/repeater mode once and a while. AO-51 has a schedule, however sometimes is SHF down or really low power down on UHF and might require a decent beam to hear it.

The linear birds are easier to work as they have much more pass band. You can have 20 q's on the bird all at the same time. Many of the Q's are in CW, and some in SSB. I would say HAMSAT is about 50-60% CW and 40% SSB. I highly suggest that you get into the allmode birds once you get tired of(or satisified) playing with the FM birds. An FT-847 is a very nice all mode for SAT, plus it has HF. I havent used it, but my bro has a IC-910 and likes it for satellite. Radios like the 706, 957, ft100,etc etc are not set up do to full duplex for sat mode and are not a good choice for a sat radio. 706 is a good radio for lotsa things, but this is not one of them.

See, these are the types of discussions we can have here.

9. lomfs24

lomfs24

I'll agree, the D700 is not the best radio for working birds. But is is very good for what I want in a radio. Working sat's is just an added bonus. And I am just now getting started at it. I have not looked into the all mode rigs yet and I don't have a general license yet so I have not been looking at the HF rigs yet.

Satellite is not an obsession with me. It's just a fun pastime when and if I can hit a bird. Mostly ham radio for me is mobile comms/safety issue. You see, I travel a stretch of highway that is very accident prone. It's nice to know you can get out on the repeaters and talk to someone if you get in a pinch. I am also trying to get on the local ham SAR team. I am young and atheletic with a good knowledge of electronics and am also an EMT. I thought that combination would be great in a SAR application. But the local club seems to being a little slow in accepting me as a SAR member. But the time will come.

There are so many areas of ham radio that I don't know what I will look at next. I may try to build my own rig from plans or a kit. That would be fun and a basic application of electronic theory.

10. martho

martho

There are so many areas of ham radio that I don't know what I will look at next. I may try to build my own rig from plans or a kit. That would be fun and a basic application of electronic theory.

There are many areas of the hobby and usually something for everyone.
    I just started working on my DXCC for 30m. 30m is a digital mode only band, so you work CW or RTTY/PSK, etc. I have worked 62 countries on 30m CW since 09/03/2005. I have WAS confirmed on 6m, 10m, 20m, 40m. I have VUCC on 6m (250 grids), I have 237 countries mixed mode on HF confirmed. I have 38 states and 4 countries on HAMSAT. I have contest division records for VHF.

Even though all that stuff has happened, there are still so many things to do in this hobby, I havent scraped the surface yet.

Maybe we can set a sked for one of the FM birds.

11. lomfs24

lomfs24

What are the uplink and downlink freq's for AO-51 (Echo)? We might be able to set up somthing on that bird. I would have to start tracking that so I know when it is around. It doesn't seem that the voice repeater has been on for quite some time on ISS. The voice uplink is on to make contacts to the crew but the voice repeater doesn't seem to be on.

12. martho

martho

Everything you need to know is at www.amsat.org

What SAT tracking program are you using?

I am using Orbitron, however there are many good ones.

13. lomfs24

lomfs24

I am using a program called SatScape. I like it. You can easily update it, it keeps track of new satellites. You can do either 3D or 2D.

14. beachside39

beachside39

I'm running a Kenwood TS-2000 100% mobile CW, SSB & FM into High Sierra HS-1800 and Diamond CR627B antennas for about 10 hours per week during my commute. I'm using a Heil Goldline mike and Vibroplex Iambic Deluxe key and enjoying every minute of it. I usually work 20 & 40 meters as well as local two meters.

I also have a TM-D700A but it's been in the box for two years now. I'm using the remote head with my TS-2000 but don't need the xcvr right now. I'm negotiating for a 2006 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle and intend to install the D700 in that for 144/440 FM and to try APRS with the factory-installed Garmin GPS. I'm hoping that the bike's GPS will have a data port so I can connect my Kenwood. I have to decide what antenna to use on the bike and how to adapt a headset for ham and intercom functions. One advantage of the 2006 bike is the upgraded alternator providing 1,300 watts instead of 1,000. That should support my radio gear.