close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

HAM License Plates

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by c-mama, May 19, 2004.

1. c-mama

c-mama Moderator

Hey guys,

I was searching for license plates for my new truck - happened upon this site and they have plates related to HAM radio. Thought I'd pass the info along if you are interested...

http://license-plate-world.com/ham1.htm

2. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Unfortunally, in Texas, we have front and rear license plates, and a $200 fine if we don't display both of them... (sigh)

3. lymph

lymph

I used to have a ham license plate (my call) when I was in Michigan. I think it cost an extra couple bucks and you have to show your ham ticket to qualify. When I moved to Washington and tried to get one, nobody knew what I was talking about (even though they're offered) and I finally learned that I'd have to go all the way to Olympia to get one. :( Not worth it -- now I just have plain ol' license plates.

4. phone*guy

phone*guy

Same thing here in Kaliforniastan. Though you can get a personalized plate with your HAM call sign.

5. Mingus Jim

Mingus Jim

When living in IL, I had ham plates. When IL used to issue new physical plates every year, it cost $3.00 extra for call sign plates. When the state went to muliti-year plates, it stopped charging the extra $3.00. The plates were to be for five years, but it was, I believe, 12 - 15 years before the state started replacing them.

My replacements were due the year we moved to Arizona. I got a notice in the mail that my plates would be coming. I sent e-mail telling the secretary of state's office that I lived in AZ and had no use for IL plates. I got a response telling me that the could not be cancelled, so just throw them away when I got them. So, I now have a souvenier: two brand new IL call sign plates still wrapped in the original plastic wrap.

With vehicle registration so high here in AZ (well, registration is only $18.00, but the vehicle tax is over $300 for my 2001 Ford Explorer), I didn't get call sign plates as I was darned if I was going to pay an extra $25.00 a year (it is not just a one time charge, even though the plates are multi-year) extra.

However, I found out one can get a front call sign plate for $13.00, which I did. The choice is the standard 'scene' plate with the mountians and suguaros on it or a copper plate - just a plain, copper colored plate. The plates are made by the same prisoners who make the 'real' plates from the very same stock, in the case of the scene plate. The only difference with the scene plate is the border is colored and the lettering is a different color.

Here's the real plate.

Here's the call sign plate.

6. k8ysv

k8ysv Thecakeisalie.

Thanks for the link Crochetmama! We have to have both plates here in Ohio too, but the BMV here offers Ham Radio specialty plates. You take in a copy of your license and they assign the letters to you. For a nominal fee of course (ten bucks extra).

I not only get the Jeep wave now, but the Ham Radio wave too ;f

7. KA3N

KA3N Senior Moment

Just a rear plate needed in PA..

8. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Yeah, but you can get official f/r callsign plates in TX. They're just not 'decorative'...

9. Mingus Jim

Mingus Jim

One thing I forgot in my earlier post. Although AZ is a one-plate state, if one gets the real call sign plates, one gets two plates. However, I don't think it is required by law to display the front plate; one of my fellow ARES/RACES emergency coordinators sometimes has his call sign plate on front and sometimes an ARES plate.

10. sensei

sensei Deceased

I'm in Texas.

I have my call sign for my license plates. Says Amateur Radio Operator on plates.

Cost me $2.00 per year.

sensei

11. N1PJ

N1PJ NRA Member

I also have a ham plate.
    In MA they use the same style as the regular plates. The only difference is a lightning bolt between the prefix and the suffix of the call.
    The lightning bolt tends to mess up people running the plates. The inspection garage didn't know how to run the plate when I first brought my vehicle in to be inspected. They told me I wasn't in the registry. They didn't know to use a forward slash where the lightning bolt was. As soon as they did that the machine printed my new inspection sticker. Over the scanner I once heard the police radio in my plates for a general check, when dispatch came back they said no matching record.
    73's

N1PJ

12. Mallan

Mallan

Utah charges $10 to make the plates which are then treated as normal plates there after. We are supposed to use both front and rear.

73's AC7DM

13. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

we only have rear plates here in Alabama, but we have a special HAM plate you can get instead of the normal one

14. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

If any of ya'll are ever in England, stop by The Texas Embassy for a bite to eat. My Dad's Texas rado operator plate is mounted on the wall mixed in with all the others. It's WB5HVH. As a side note, the restaarant is named The Texas Embassy because the location actually was Texas' embassy to England when we were an independent country.

Yes, I've got radio operator plates on my vehicle, front and back (Texas). Next time I jump the pond, I'm taking one of mine to put on that wall next to my Dad's.

15. WestTexasGT

WestTexasGT

I don't have call plates yet, I had them on my first car, then on my truck it took over a year to get it all straightened out and we sold it before they even got here. Now with the mustang I predict similar problems, but I'll get them on eventually I hope;)

16. sacluded

sacluded

I don't have my call plates. To me all a call plate does is advertise that I have expensive gear in my vehicle. Not only that but anybody can jump on the internet and look up my call, find my address, and then go take my expensive equipment form my vehicle. Not worth it to me. Maybe I'm just paranoid....

17. Grog

Grog Millennium Member

Sounds like it.

As far as expensive gear, all I have in my truck is a two meter and a scanner. Total cost of $190 if stolen. There are more acts of random crime than being targeted for a "CB". Look at all the company cars with radio gear in them, they don't get ripped off. The man in charge of radio gear where I work has more gear $$$ in his truck than what it's worth :)

P.S. They only get your address if you have your real address listed with the FCC ;f

18. Mgdell

Mgdell Huh??

If any of you are in Iceland. Go to the Hard Rock Cafe in Reyjakvic... Look for a Green on white Idaho plate with my call on it "N7LMJ" on the wall..

19. saber

saber

lymph,

All you need to do to get Ham plates is mail the
    application along with a one-time fee ($20??) and a
    copy of your ticket to the DOL. It's available online.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/forms/420499.pdf

There is no additional charge each year for the plates.
    The DOL should be able to answer your questions.

jeff
    KY7G

20. beachside39

beachside39

I can't imagine paying $16 for a custom plate with my call letters on it.

I've had state-issued call plates from Michigan and Florida since 1960. Florida only charges $5 extra every few years when they want to stamp a new plate. Not a bad deal.