close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Halo

Discussion in 'The Players Club' started by Tvov, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Tvov

Tvov

So, who else here plays HALO online?

2. goldflounder

goldflounder death ray

I play Halo on the X-box, but I've never played online. How do I access it? Do I need to buy the software, or is there a website I can download it from? ;a

3. Tvov

Tvov

I play HALO on my computer.

I am not sure how the Xbox works, but supposedly all you have to do is plug the phone line into it. I don't know if you have to pay a fee. Do you still have the instructions for your Xbox? I would think info should be in there.

Online play is very different from the single player campaign. Two pieces of advice; 1. Learn the maps. Set up your own games with a password so no one else can join, and just explore the maps. Learn where weapons are, tunnels, warp doors, etc.

2. Learn how to use the human pistol. The pistol is really the best weapon in HALO, not only in single player, but especially in multiplayer. Aim for the head, and don't do automatic fire, use single shot, although you can do it quickly. With auto fire, it loses accuracy at any distance. With single shot, it is almost dead on out to ridiculous distances.

Have you done LAN play by connecting Xboxs? If you have, I just realized you probably already know all this.

There are a lot of forums you can check out, two are:

http//bungie.net (the company that made HALO)

www.forumplanet.com/3dactionplanet/halo

4. TitansFan

TitansFan

The original Halo cannot be played online with the Xbox.
    But Halo 2 will support Xbox live.

If you want Halo 2 this year you better pre-order it.

5. goldflounder

goldflounder death ray

I was referring to playing Halo on a PC. I've seen some dudes playing it in the ol' UW computer labs with headphones on, probably against other players online. Does anyone know how to access this on a computer, or do I have to buy software?

6. Tvov

Tvov

I believe you have to have a HALO disk to play.

Once you have a disk, HALO has made it very simple to play online. Click multiplayer, internet, and you're on.

I'm MadFF when playing online.

7. black diesel

black diesel

Just found this part of GlockTalk. You can play Halo for XBOX online for free without XBOX live. I started playing Halo on Gamespy but switched over to using XBOX connect as it's a much better platform. You must have a computer, broadband internet, XBOX, and a router or a hub will work too.

Basically xbox connect is a program you download and it allows you to join or host about any system link game. For Halo you go into your system link game mode and get to the screen where it says looking for games. You then use your computer to join a room and the game will appear on your TV screen. From there you play as you normally would. When the game is over you can keep playing with those same people in the room or join another. If you host a room you set up the game you want to play and wait for others to join in.

It's all great fun but there can be lag depending on the number of people playing and the connection speed. This lag can be very annoying. To hit people on the move you will find yourself having to lead them more and the sniper rifle can be almost useless.

When a friend an I play which is almost daily, we never host games. If you host you have a huge advantage. We've found that if you host, you play at lag free speed and your opponent may have an unknown amount of lag. We play capture the flag games at blood gulch with warthogs only. Those ghosts are the most annoying thing in the game.

8. Tvov

Tvov

Ghosts aren't bad, the Banshees are the worst. A lot of HaloPC online games don't have Banshees because a lot of people don't like them.

In a large game (8v8) playing capture the flag, a great combination for getting the flag is ghosts and hogs (with gunners). If you are defending against an assault like this, three things to remember: grenades, grenades, grenades!

If you are good with a Rocket Warthog, you can take out a Ghost easily. Actually, I don't know if Xbox Halo has Rocket Hogs?

Lag is something you just get used to. Are you able to see your "ping" rate with Xbox connect? Usually, if you are under 100 lag isn't too bad at all.

My favorite maps are Timberland, Ice Fields, Danger Canyon, and Sidewinder. The interior maps are okay, but I prefer the outdoor maps.

9. black diesel

black diesel

The PC version sounds a little different than XBOX. There are no banshees or rocket hogs. The maps sound different too. I agree about the grenades, the only thing I use them for mostly is to tip over a warthog. That's a skill worth mastering especially in CTF.

When we play all vehicles one of us takes our ghosts and puts them up behind out base at blood gulch. Then the other team will bring theirs over and die and we put theirs back there too. That way we take them out of the game. It pisses them off but oh well we win. I guess Halo 2 on XBOX will have the banshees. I've been getting a feeling Halo 2 won't be as good as the first.

XBOC connect does show your ping and sometimes it's as good as being on a local connection. Half the time it's very noticeable. Usually it doesn't matter but if the opponent is pretty good it will allow them to score or even win once in a while.

10. Tvov

Tvov

The problem I have with Halo2 is that it is probably going to be at least a year until it comes out for PC. Halo took what, 2 years before the PC version? And there are a lot of problems with the conversion, with frame rates and whatnot, even with top of the line PCs playing just the single player campaign. Online lag also supposedly was affected. Hopefully Halo2 will have a better PC conversion when it comes out.

Yes, Halo for PC is a little different. It has rocket hogs, rocket launchers (bazookas), banshees, fuel rod guns, flamethrowers, and something like 4 or 5 more maps. It makes up a little bit for all the problems the PC version has.