close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hallsville Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Sep 21, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

OK, folks, time to report in.

2. DannyR

Now don't go shy on us.

3. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

Calm down Danny, I just got home. :)

It was a beautiful day. The match went pretty well. I managed to shoot a personal best, so I can't complain.

The plates seemed to be running pretty slow. I think they might split the two plate racks onto seperate bays tomorrow. I got done shooting around 4:30. I'm sure they weren't done before 5:00. Don't know if they shot late, or if they are going to make people try and come back tomorrow.

Bobby Carver was there showing off his new scope mounts. Looked pretty neat. I might have to get one some day.

This was probably my last GSSF match for the year. Looking forward to next season.

Garrett

4. another okie

another okie

I shot today and just got home about 5. To get in some extra shooting on such a long trip I found an IDPA club in Higginsville, Missouri, shooting on Saturday and shot there, then went to Columbia to shoot Sunday.

The plates were split into two bays, but they didn't really have enough range officers or shooters. Everything was moving well while I was there.

I shot OK in Amateur and Subcompact, but humiliated myself in Major sub. I just cannot shoot plates in major sub. The weather was perfect.

The Green Valley Club/Chapman Academy range has added several new bays since last year and seems to be building a tower. The county or someone has also paved the road in.

5. Spentshell

Spentshell

Great day in Hallsville! Broke my trigger spring and the armorer fixed it for free. Picked up 4 "plus 2s" for my hicaps and Glock installed them with new mag springs. My shooting never recovered after the broken trigger, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! ;)

6. Dnew

Dnew Just Senior

My first Hallsville and third GSSF Match is in the record books. Shot on Sat in perfect weather with a good crowd there. It took most of the day to get in all three stages but that was ok with me as it gave me some free time to meet some of the fine folks there. Got to spend some time with Bobby Carver and that was a pure pleasure, a grand ole Southern Gentlemen he is for sure. Got to peruse his various guns with mounts and sights installed, a great learning experience for this new kid on the block - Thanks Bobby for your patience and gratiousness, even after a not so good day at the stages (my best day ever will never come close to one of his bad days). You are a true saint to the sport... If I ever build a serious unlimited gun it will for sure have one of his mounts installed.

Am looking forward to Lexington for probably my last match for the year - sniff! It will be a long time till Indy, I may have to try and sneak in an extra along the way. I guess you could say I'm hooked...

Thanks again to the GSSF and local Hallsville Staff for making it all possible - good job!!!:) :) :)

Dee ;a

7. 40cal_Kevin

40cal_Kevin

So far, the posts seem blissfully happy with the way things went. I will concede that the day was beautiful (and this means Grade A Perfect), and the the facilites were fine (lots of shade for the cloudless, cool day). But I think that a lot of us who shot on Saturday came away with a slightly dimmer view of the way this event was organized.

Having arrived at 11:00 am, I wasn't suprised to find a lot of people already ahead of me. I figured that after checking out each of the events, the earliest shooters had already cycled through the first two and ended up at the "Glock M." My bad "line Karma" kicked in, and I decided to shoot that event first. The fellow who took my paper guessed that I had about 30-45 minutes to get up to the line.

Two hours and 30 minutes later, I was finally getting my chance to shoot. There appeared to be too few people to staff the event, and that was causing some delay. Also, throughout the day, there seemed to be something strange going on with the way in which our paperwork would get put on the first clipboard when we arrived at each event, but never handed to an RO at either of the two stations, and this was at each of the three stages.

After a lunch break (whoever was cooking those burgers was a master griller) I headed back up to do plates and the "5 to Glock." Not one to repeat his mistakes (more than 4 or 5 times) I put my paper in at both stations, figuring that this would surely get me cycled through them both faster than the first. Well, the "M" only took 2 hours to get through, and I was "lucky" enough to be the last shooter to leave, finishing the plates at 5:30 pm. Hey, and the armorer had packed up and gone home to suck down a cold, frosty one. I don't blame him - it was getting late! This "coup de grace" really made the day complete, for me.

The previous two times I've shot GSSF at this facility, I had all three events done in under two hours, and there was only one event during those that ran side-by-side firing lanes. This event was no busier than those others, and truthfully, I don't remember there being as many ROs at those than there were at this one. There was too much "down" time between strings at each event (the two firing lanes couldn't shoot simultaneously). There was also not a good system in place to guarantee first-come, first-serve at each event. To a much lesser extent, some of the shooters were not ready when they got to the line (mags unloaded).

I will go again, because, frankly, there aren't many other competitions for stock pistols in the St. Louis region. I'm even planning on recruiting two more people to come with me next year. But this experience was sour. I've been looking forward to coming to this for the last 5 years. And it was a bust! Had I known it would be like this, I would have considered just saving my money for another case of ammo. But, it's in the past, now. Hopefully, lessons are learned and next year's goes more smoothly.

Regards,

Kevin

8. DannyR

Kevin,

Sorry to hear that the local RO's did not follow GSSF's rules regarding shooting order.

The trick is to turn in your scoring sheets at all three stages as soon as you get them, and then go to the stage you wish to shoot first. By the time you get to the second and third stages, your name should be near the top of the list.

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I'll have to agree that there were problems...I think they put too many score sheets on the 'on deck' clipboards and then some of the shooters would hear their names being called on the next range, so they'd go over there instead of staying where they were already 'on deck'.

My sunburn got painful enough at about 3:00 (I pasted a lot of targets in the sun while waiting to shoot instead of waiting in the shade) that I went over and talked with Bobby Carver and Dnew instead of continuing to wait to shoot the plates. No biggy, that's the way the cookie bounces sometimes, I went back and shot the plates Sunday morning. (I didn't shoot any better than I had the day before, but I didn't have to wait as long to mess it up) :)

That said, it could be snowing and I'd still have a good time at a GSSF match...and I *did* get one of Bobby's mounts! ;f

Here's a few pics.

Festus shooting the Five to Glock:
    [​IMG]

DP177 pasting targets:
    [​IMG]

And DP177 shooting the 'M':
    [​IMG]

10. DannyR

Butch,

Thanks for the nice photos. Some matches move slower that others. Still, it beats my local IDPA match, which takes nearly all day to move 40+ shooters through 6 stages.

11. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

The weather and people at Hallsville were accomodating and friendly.I met some fellow Glock Talkers.. Butch ....DP177... and Dwights entourage of Team Parker(Dwight...Dave and Dan) great people from Minnesota.The Range has lots of potential and will probably experience some changes as matches are reviewed. I decided not to shoot all four categories( equipment problems)I believe that I do not know how to seat 11 cartridges im my 22 because I had 3 blurps due to my not seating them correctly...All in All I had my best plate run and left the match with warm feelings of the people I had just met and am planning for the next match at Lexington. ;f

12. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Festus, don't you check each round before the match? ;f And you're a real man wearing black in the sun all day.

13. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

Hey all!

The wife and I drove over from Indy on Saturday, spent the night in Columbia. Got up reasonably early on Sunday, drove up to the range to meet a couple Glock List buddies from St. Louis, and shoot. Got signed in and up to the ranges about 10:30, and there was NOBODY there! We loaded our mags, handed out all our scoresheets, then walked on and shot the plates with NO WAIT. After that, we walked down to the Glock M and shot again very quickly, maybe 2 shooters ahead of us. I swear this was the lightest attendance I've EVER seen at a GSSF match! Or maybe we hit it at just the right time? By the time we got down to the 5-to-Glock, traffic was starting to pick up a little so we had about 4 shooters ahead of us. We started shooting at 10:30 and were done by 1:30, and this was a party of four shooters with a total of 8 entries. So any complaints about things not running smoothly sure weren't experienced by us! And as others have said, the weather was picture-perfect all day.

As to performance...

We started with plates, which I normally like to FINISH with... but I was bowing to the wishes of my two teammates. I also shot my Unlimited entry earlier in sequence than I normally do, and the early-match jitters were all the more evident with that little dot sight bouncing around! So given the level of competition that Hallsville usually brings out, I don't think I'm in any danger of burning up the charts there. ;Q In MajorSub, which I *won* at Indy, I got flustered and left a plate standing. :( I think that puts me out of the running there, too. Subcompact and AmCiv both went fine.

The Glock-M provided no surprises; hopefully my times will be competitive.

The 5-to-Glock went well, except for a couple misses on the 20 in Subcompact, and a badly pulled miss at 15 in AmCiv. I think my AmCiv aggregate score will still be good; I don't think I'm going to repeat last year's second-place, but I'd like to see a Top 10 finish.

My teammate Chris K shot well, improving his times by several seconds over last year. Our partner in crime Mick B cleaned up his act and didn't have a repeat of last year's problems on the 25-yard targets on the 5-to-Glock, so our team score might be pretty darn solid! We'll see.

Finally, my wife had a BALL shooting her first competition, and is wanting to do Lexington now too. :)

Sorry we didn't meet any other GT'ers there... like I said, there was hardly anybody on the range when we were shooting. But we had a blast. Can't wait to see scores!

See y'all at Lexington!

14. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Fireglock....as you can see Butch got my best side. Black has a slimmimg affect...I too go 6-4 and a 1/2 at 255#...my Notre Dame hat(size 8) was Navy Blue actually.My ammo was fine...just got back from the range,my Wolf +10% mag springs do not allow 11 rounds to be loaded and feed correctly...I just now found out after running 500 rounds through the mags.I have practiced with 10 rounds all last year and this year and just started loading 11 rounds since St.Paul...Fortunately I do not have to count on my immediate intelligience as a GSSF'er for a living.Maybe I will muster enough common sense...remember what my Mentors have preached and put together a good performance for Lexington....having fun though ;f

15. Fireglock

Fun is the most important thing. Don't you just hate those unplanned learning experiences? :) I too am glad I don't have to rely on GSSF for a living, I might slim to something closer to 200 lbs! ;f

16. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Jerry....Butch also tried to Mentor me as well especially on those mag springs....I have 40 mags with potentially now less than questionable integrity, I should have stayed with the stock springs, and saved my money, but that was before you guys started mentoring and while I was reading books ....I won't name the books nor the authors...GoodLuck at Conyers;f

17. Dnew

Dnew Just Senior

Fireglock, you might get down to 200# about like I might get down to 220# - Not. I have an acronym(SP) for myself, OFF... Fill in the letters. Looking fwd to Lexington to see you folks once again... I've put together a FUNgun for unlimited, made out of parts I already have...note the emphasis on FUN...Hehehe!! A 49 (B.C.) is a long way away.

Dee ;a

18. Fireglock

Thanks Festus, any chance you're going to make Shreveport?

19. Fireglock

Dnew, I think I see where you're going with it! ;f I don't see me making Lexington unless the wife wins the lottery. I may make Shreveport, I owe my buddy some support and he really wants to go. :)

20. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Fireglock....I believe Lexington will be the next and possibly the last for this year...those 1100 mile round trips are busters...I drive them alone....haven't found someone who is crazy I mean devoted to this pursuit of enjoyment yet. I took the wife to St.Paul and to say the least there is a reason to take seperate vacations after 18 years of marriage...actually our 18th was the 22nd and I was at the match, oh well Our first anniversary, she was Trail riding up in Michigan for a week and if that keeps her happy so be it.;f