close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hallsville Debriefing 2003

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Sep 20, 2003.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your comments here.

2. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

Just got back. Things seemed to be very well run. They didn't have the bottleneck on the plates like last year. They were running 2 shooters at a time on all three stages. They had two timers linked together, and two people shooting at a time. The timers were mounted on a barricade next to each shooter. I imagine the barricades acted as sound barriers so the timers wouldn't pick up shots from the other shooter. It seemed to work out fairly well.

It made things go fairly quickly, but I'm sure it was distracting for some people to be shooting next to someone else in competition. My wife had some problems with this. I gave her my earmuffs when she was shooting to go over her plugs. This seemed helped somewhat.

Getting ready for the match, I hadn't been able to practice like I would have liked to, and my score reflects this. Not my best match ever, but not my worst either. I did watch some other shooters in U/M that seemed to do better than me. I don't think I did well enough to be in the money this time. Oh well, maybe next time. It was still fun. That's what counts.

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

jakk;
    Good report. Thanks for the input. Sounds like a great match.

4. Lou6PPC

Lou6PPC

This was my 1st. GSSF match.
    Shot my G17 in Am/Civ and G26 in Subcompact.
    I watched the film and told all the RO's I'm a rookie. They all were extremely friendly and helpful.

I can't believe the pressure you put on yourself when you shoot in front of someone else. At the range practicing I can shoot acceptable small groups. Under the timer with people watching is something else.
    My small groups turned into large ones!

Worst shot: 5 to Glock - a miss at 25 yds. (ouch)
    Best shot: Plates - started with 12.07 ended with 5.55 with G26

I had a great time and look forward to next year.

5. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Lou6PPC;

You reacted perfectly normal. Something happens whan that darn buzzer sounds that causes you brain to go into dump mode. Don't worry you will overcome that. We all go thru it. It lasts longer with some but the main thing is you had fun and improved as you progressed. Everything will all fall into place soon. Continue to have fun, be safe and the pressure will ease. ;c ;c ;c

6. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

One other thing, they did not have any Safe Area set up. It is often very benificial to do a couple minutes of dry fire before starting to shoot.

7. G21H30

G21H30

The wife and I shot three classes each today (Sunday). We arrived around 9:30 and finished about 11:45. Glock "M" and Plates ran smoothly and just a small wait at the 5 To Glock. The wires for the timers at the 5 To Glock were accidently trpped over and so we could only shoot one person at a time. Met fellow GlockTalker "DNEW" and had a wonderful time talking with him and Scott Gilbertson:cool: I learned the hard way never to change your load the day before the match:( The G-30 worked fine at home but (6) failures to feed after the first round and (2) stovepipes at crunch time pretty much washed out subcompact;P The wife didn't have her best day her mother had a slight heart attack Saturday evening (She's OK! and even told us to go ahead with the match;a ) but Koleen's head and heart weren't in it.As usual John and his crew did a great job running the match!!;a

8. Dieselbuilder

Dieselbuilder

I got home this evening after spending an excellent weekend at the Hallsville match.;Y I shot on Saturday then hung around until Sunday to meet some people face to face, that I had only met by email previously.

It also was my first GSSF match. I shot my G17 in Stockmeister and Comp for warmup and then shot my Am/Civ. I figured I would get over the jitters better that way.......didn't work. I had decent runs in both the first classes....then choked on my Am/civ;P. On the 5 to Glock I had 2 Mikes (1 at 20 and 1 at 25) and after having 2 clean runs on the "M" in the other classes, I proceded to shoot 2 steel in the same string, costing me a Mike on my Am/Civ run. I did have fairly decent runs on all my plate runs, no plates left standing and worst time of 10.something and best time of 5.93, with most in the 6.5 to 7.5 range.

I ran into a shooter that I shot with in the GSSF Indoor League at The Bullet Stop this spring and was helping him load mags between strings for his G27 and he ended up letting me borrow it to shoot Subcompact. I surprised myself and shot it even better than I did my G17;Q, so now I think I will be in the market for my own "Baby Glock" although a G26 to stay with a common caliber. ;f

G21H30, I wish you would have introduced me to DNEW. Would have been nice to meet another GlockTalker. Glad to hear your Mom-in-law is doing OK.

9. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

It was the best of times . . . It was the worst of times . . .

I had a dickens of a time with my 17L, possibly a personal worst in competition class.

But then I shot my 26 !!! And proceeded to set a personal best, regardless of category ;P ;P I actually out-shot my 17L, complete with Bo-Mar sights, by something like 30 seconds. Trying too hard in competition class, I guess:(

I was honored to shoot the plates against Bobby Carver. Fun, humbling, interesting, and informative . . . all at once. That ol' boy from Texas is smoooooooth. :cool:

Thanks, Bobby. Also thanks for the scope tips.

This was my first time to visit Green Valley Rifle & Pistol Club. WOW. Wish I lived next door !!

The Plates and GLOCK-M stages were run perfectly.

5-to-GLOCK had a scoresheet handling, um, variance . . . from the norm. When the stack-master assembled a new squad, he did the part where names are called in order from the top of the stack - correctly. But then he handed us our scoresheets, saying, "OK, he goes first. You go after him. That guy goes 3rd." etc. ;P :( ;Q (Instead of handing the scoresheets to the RO running the stage) The RO's kept having to ask, "Who's next?" One guy forgot who he was supposed to follow . . . and was admonished by said stackmaster for forgetting. ;g And the squad was too big, probably 12 shooters with a combined 20 entries, +/-.

The net effect was close to correct procedure, but just off enough to get me worrying. No blood - No foul, I suppose, but I know how it is SUPPOSED to be run. I didn't see Scott until it was too late to matter. OK, rant over.

All in all, a perfect weather, gorgeous day. Fantastic range. And, it looked like most of us were being safe, and having fun. :)

10. Dnew

Dnew Just Senior

Had to shoot on Sun this year, sorry I missed you Bobby. That was going to be the highlight of my day. Also had to go solo which I found to be not near as much fun. Probably a good thing as it turns out as I had an absolutely dismal day behind the trigger. I did learn a couple of things to do and not to do that contributed to my demise. Now to try to capitalize on my new found knowledge - ha!

Except for my performance it was a great day, met G21H30 and his lovely wife and had a good time with him and Scott. Also got to lay a hand shake on Shooter 2 once again, always a pleasure. All the staff and RO's were absolutely great as usual. Got a few hi caps rebuilt by the nice armoror, thank you again. I'm always really impressed by the great attitudes and discipline exhibited by both Staff and Shooters alike. Makes me real proud to be a small part of it all.

Sure glad I didn't have a team relying on me... Hopefully Lexington with son Sam is next so I've got a while to straighten out my act...

Dee

11. shooter2

shooter2 Millennium Member

My wife and I shot on Sunday, as usual. Weather was fine, stages were run efficiently, with only one stage having a wait of more than a few minutes. Running two shooters simultaneously was new for us; I didn't mind it at all, but it played head games with my wife (who is a newer competitor). Sure did seem to speed things up, which was nice. All the matches we've been to this year have been head and shoulders above previous years, in terms of organization.

Hooked up with some of our friends from http://www.glocklist.com for the AmCiv team. If we end up defending last year's 1st place finish, it will be the result of a true team effort, as none of us burned up the charts with our individual scores. ;g I personally had somewhat of an "off" day in everything but MajorSub; my scores were probably "solid", but at Hallsville that's a VERY different thing from "competitive". ;P

Anyway, it was a good trip. Now I really have to get some practice in before Lexington! See you all there.

12. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

The weather was "absolutely" fantastic. The sun was bright and the air was about 73 degrees. WOW, we only dream of weather that cool in Texas.

Brenda and I arrived late, around 1:30PM, but didn't have to wait but 5-10 minutes at any of the stages.

I had the pleasure of filming G7 while he was shooting his plates and had planned to surprise him with a streaming video on Glocktalk but I left my cable to transfer the file from my MiniDV to the laptop, so I won't get to do that until later but I will post a picture later.

I shot okay. I wasn't pleased with my ammo. I have been testing some Vhita N37 powder and it seemed to lose some of its punch due to the cooler weather. The RO's with Bruce, Joe and Scott were doing their normal tasks, professionally making sure that everyone is taken care of.

I had the pleasure to spend some time talking to G7, Butch and Dwight Parker with some of their friends from Minnesota before we left on Saturday afternoon. Spending time talking with friends is what all of this is about. I really enjoyed the time spent.

Hope to see everyone in Conyers this weekend!!

13. jjayh

jjayh

Gee Bobby, I must have just missed you. I left the range Sat. about 1:30 or so, just figured you were shooting Sunday. I got to the range about 8:30 and had shot 4 classes (even took a break) by 12:30. My new Carver mount was great, I had some of my best plate times ever. It was a fun match, and a treat to go to a place with hills and trees! (us poor guys that are stuck in west TX appreciate things like that.)

Jerry H

14. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Jerry H,
    I'm sorry that we missed you Saturday but glad to hear about your pleasure with the mount. We appreciate your kind words and continued support. I hope that you had a good trip home. I'll be back in Texas, at the range on September 30 or by October 1.

Thanks for the continued support,
    Bobby