Haiti! Wake Up Call!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jaybirdjtt, Jan 15, 2010.

1. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

I live in a fire prone area. I have everything that I want to get out of my home quickly (in case of fire) in the closet by my front door. But what would I do if a natural disaster struck right now with regards to my firearms? I have spare water, food, propane, etc., but my guns are locked and hidden away. If I had to evacuate NOW what would I take? How much ammo?

I know this! I will be making this decision ahead of time and will do my planning now and not if or when the event occurs.

You have 3 minutes to get out! There will be chaos and/or anarchy. What weapons do you take and how much ammo? I may have to defend myself, my family and innocent people in order to survive.
    Maybe something like this: 2 handguns and appropriate ammo and holsters, tactical shotgun and ammo, tactical rifle and ammo, one or two tactical vests with loaded mags all together and ready to go.....right now!
    Water, 2 canteens per family member, energy bars, emergency first aid kit. What else? I mean I have all this stuff. Just give me 30 minutes and I'll figure it out. In Haiti, they maybe had 3 minutes. What if you live in a US metro area? Is it winter or summer? You have no time to prepare.
    Not to worry, FEMA is on the way..........right.:whistling:

What do you think?

2. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I'm trying to figure out what your question is ...

Are you saying that if you live in an area prone to disaster you should gather extra supplies in case you need to evacuate?

If so, I don't think you'll find too many people here who disagree with you.

ETA: My finace' and I worked for about 2 years to build the "perfect" bug out kit. We can be on the highway to one of 4 pre-determined locations in ~3 minutes with everything we'd need to survive with no cash or infrastructure for 5 days (sorry, I forgot we trimmed down to 3 days to save some weight in case we had to hoof it) and indefinately if we could buy supplies. . The kit also contains everything we'd need to start our lives over somewhere else in case we could never come back.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

3. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

can you share what some of those supplies are?

4. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

You are absolutely correct! What "bug out kit" is appropriate? I am looking to stimulate some discussion on this topic. Certain cities in the USA aren't much different than Haiti. Throw in a natural disaster.....

5. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Here's a word doc with the physical contents. Some of the stuff in there also has a ton of stuff inside of it ... like the BOB workbook and other counter-intuitively named things.

Check out http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/

It's a site called listening to katrina and contains a huge, gargantuan, herculean amount of information compiled by an intelligent refugee who catalogued all of the "I wish I had thought of that first" kind of stuff.

Very informative site

6. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Hey, HK! Thanks alot for the input. Great place to start. I just know that I don't want to be caught with my proverbial pants down.......like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction!

7. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I would also like to add that I'd accept, gladly, any criticism of our supllies. We are always looking for ways to improve our plans.

But, remember, the plans is very specific to our lives and our needs, it is not intended to be the "perfect" BOB for anyone else.

Also, it took us a while to put it together and, in hindsight, I'm glad we did it that way. We were able to make slow, intelligent and deliberate decisions and save money by buying things second hand or on sale when we found them. That's why the list has a "need to buy" color code at the bottom. At one point the list was almost half red .... slowly it moved to wholly black.

8. raven11

raven11

i think your missing a radio, hopefully a hand cranked one, flashlights, and i'd say a way to purify water such as a filter and iodine tablets,

personally i'd get camelbaks , more water , and its carryed close to your boddy so less bulk to drag around

9. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Nope, that's all on the list and in the bags. We specifically didn't want camelbacks for a couple of reasons.

10. Just1More

Just1More

Some people mock BOB's and say they have everything they need at the house. The Haite catastrophe is an example that these people live in a fantasy world. You have to be prepared to evacuate.

11. Glenn129

Glenn129

Many people in America believe problems face us in the future, and prepare for those problems. There was a thread about the kind of caned food need for survival on GT this week. I am old enough to remember the fall out shelters in the 50's. People in Haiti should by now be aware of the hurricane and earthquake dangers for their country. The best things they can do for a start toward preparedness are to get honest leadership down there, and start teaching their children they are responsible for their own future, not the rest of the world.

12. JasonV

JasonV

So in a situation of chaos and anarchy, you want to walk out the front door of your house with a "tacticool" shotgun & ammo / "tacticool" rifle & ammo / "tacticool" vests, etc. Or a combination of your "tacticool" prep?

:upeyes:

If you do not have somewhere to go with your ultimate tacticool bug out package, then you are just a refugee. No refugee camp will allow you in without searching your bags for weapons, which will be taken from you.

Plus, I doubt you will be welcome when trying to evacuate from the new disaster when you try to walk into small town America carring your "tacticool" armory. Unless you disarm first.

So now you must squat on someone elses property, rumours (true or false) will be circulating of the raping, robbing, etc of the refugees.

Most people will take a "shoot first" approach, on both sides (owners / squatters) which will not end well.

If you can't get out before whatever happens, then your chances of getting out during or after are very slim.

Your best be would be to prep to ride it out. Protect what you can, keep from losing more after, re-build or relocate later.

13. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

I live where the New Madrid fault can do the same thing that Haiti just got. I have a couple levels of circumstances planned.

Minor earthquake that might leave roads and bridges passable, I load up and go. My BOL is a good distance away where even if they are effected, it's a better place to be. Routes are planned so I don't go through any heavily populated areas, and lists of what to pack are ready. My neighbors can use what I leave.

A major earthquake would be different. I have supplies in a shed and under my deck, that won't be as hard to get to after a quake. A tent, plastic sheeting, g&A, mre's, water and purification, tools, propane heater and cylinders. Worst case, I am digging through a collapsed shed to get supplies. In a major quake, I doubt I would be able to get far because of collapsed bridges, so bugging in would be the initial plan. I don't want to get out on the road and get stuck somewhere, I would rather rough it out at home.

14. RichJ

RichJ

You're making a lot of assumptions with this statement. Most preppers don't follow the tacticool stereotype. In fact, most who are serious about prepping and bugging out want to be as plain and invisible as possible. Tactical gear screams that you have guns and supplys and it makes you a good target.

Having a firearm is a must. Argue if you want to about the folly of being armed. No one I know has any plans on going to a refugee camp and being taken care of by someone else. That is the whole point of being prepared, so you don't have to worry about someone giving you food, water and protection when things go bad. Reading your comments you seem to think you'd be better off just putting a sign in your front yard that says HELP.

Bugging out is the last option when you can't bug in. If you have to leave for any reason, you better have a plan and be supplied.

15. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

It is a bit of a stereotype, isn't it. I think he is confusing preppers with survivalists.

I've been saying for years that preppers are low key, plan for eventualities and possibilities and living through them. Hoping it never happens.

Survivalists gear up and hope it happens so they can have control over others and laugh at them for not being prepared and call others sheep.

You can see the difference at a couple of the internet sites. One is full of survivalist who have a really strange mentality, hoping if not praying something bad happens so they can feel validated. They like to call it "the tree". Other boards are just preppers seeking information and hope nothing happens but want to be able to deal with it if it does.

16. RichJ

RichJ

More food. If prepping for three days, include food for at least five. Extra tuna cans and noodle packs don't take up much space.

Add to your tool kit. A basic mechanics set is bare minimum. You will need a good set of tools. The more the better. Most mechanics sets mostly have stuff like wrenches and sockets (which is good) but make sure you have usefull tools like heavy cutters, small pry-bar, hammer, hack saw blades ect. Most work won't be the delicate type. Be prepared to hack, pry, cut and raise hell on something if you need too.

Knives. As many different kinds as possible. Small folders, swiss army type, big kitchen type, ect. You can never have too many knives.

I don't see scissors. A heavy duty metal pair is best.

Razor blades/ utility knife.

Duck tape!

Rope. Big rope. Small rope. Cordage/ twine.

Get a tow-strap in case you get stuck and need pulling out or need to drag a tree out of the road.

Keep working on it. You're never done. If you think you have everything, you're not yet ready.

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

While I appreciate the criticism, I really, really wish people would read the list before replying.

EVERYTHING, except for the tow strap(which is a good idea I will implement), you mentioned is listed in the document I posted, right down to the scissors.

BTW it's "duct" tape.

Knives are something we both carry as a matter of course. we also have a large fixed blade in the BOB, it just seemed so ubiquitous as to have slipped through the list.

18. JasonV

JasonV

Let me explain.

I know, I'm a bit of one myself.

This is what I was trying to get to across him. Trying to walk around like the ulitmate mall ninja will not help you in the long run.

Not arguing at all. A weapon is one of the most important things, walking around with an aresenal is not the same thing.

No one plans for a lot of the outcomes that happen. Still, if you are forced to leave your home, and have no where to go and live, you are a refugee. In the event of a disaster, the refugees will be gathered, and grouped together. This will be "for your protection", and for "public safety", etc..

Yes......

No. What I am saying is that if you can't get out, you best option is to prepare, hunker down, hide and do not draw attention to yourself. Then when it is all over, rebuild and improve it.

I would add a place to go as well.

19. RichJ

RichJ

Sorry dude. :embarassed: I did read your list. You didn't specify anything about your tools or knives; those are important things. Extra food is always good. I didn't see scissors or duct tape or the rest.

It's not criticism either, don't take it that way.

20. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Agreed, this is my family. We are prepared for most disastrous eventualities. We are not now, nor do I hope we ever become "survivalists."

I can hunt, gather and build a fire ... I don't plan (or hope) to ever have to in this country.