Haircut rant.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adams454, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Adams454

Adams454

To preface the post: I was a Marine and I'm still very particular about my haircut. I do keep it long by Marine Corps standards, but a #1 guard is still kinda short. I would rather not have one at all then have a bad one. At least then I can just claim lazy.

I've been going to the same barber for about 10 years. I don't go in there a lot. Just about once a month. But it's often enough that she knows how I want my hair and she does a really good job. My hair never gets more than about 3/8" long on the sides. It's just something that stuck with me. Matter of fact, the last time I got it cut, I told her I was going to grow it out. And wanted her to leave it long. She says 'yeah whatever' and gives me my normal cut.

Last year I moved away from the town my ex and my parents live in. I normally just wait and get my hair cut while I'm down there visiting. But last month I met a woman through a friend that owned a shop near where I live. She invited me to come in. And I tried to tell her that wasn't a good idea because I was so particular. She swore up and down that all her girls could do exactly what I wanted with no problem. So today I decided to go in there.

I finally wound up getting it somewhat done the way I wanted after the 5th time of telling the girl what to do. She insisted that because I wanted it about 3/4" long on the top that there was no way she could use a #1 guard on the sides without leaving a line around my head. And I know this to be a lie because I've been getting it that way for years.

My rant is basically just about people promising something as simple as a great haircut, with no ability to provide it.

2. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

1 1/2 on top, 0 on the sides... Blend it in.

I see the same 70 year old man, about a mile off post, 2-3 times a month.

I hate when I go places for training and such and have to see a different barber, it makes me cringe. They never get it right like your normal barber does.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

simple solution..

do it yourself

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

In a strange place, pick the guy with the bad cut.

5. Adams454

Adams454

:rofl:I wish I had that much hand-eye coordination. I can fade the sides really well. I did a lot of barracks cuts back in the day and never had one of them get called out during an inspection. But the back would look like Helen Keller did it.

6. ctaggart

ctaggart

Take a picture of your head right after you get your hair cut on your phone. If you have to go some place else, you'll have a picture of the way you like it.

7. Medic3166

Medic3166

:rofl:
    I've been buzzing my own head since last summer... no guard, just the bare clipper blade. I tried fading with a 1 up top and 0 on the sides, but it was pretty lopsided...

8. dredglock

dredglock

One word ( flowbee )

9. KappaAlphaASU

KappaAlphaASU

I do mine once a week with a #1 guard and it usually turns out pretty nice:wavey:

10. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

I've found over the years that finding a barber who can cut a decent flat top is hard to do and, when you find one - stick with that one. I've had that cut for over half century and, I'm not anti female barbers but have never found one that can do it well.

My current one has had cardiac bypass surgery and, though I'm some 20 years older than he is, I'm concerned I'm going to outlive him and have to find another.

He uses a 1 1/2 - whatever that is - I have to remind him every time but he does a good job by my standards - by the way - and this is a fairly new cut - that's me on the left - :upeyes:

[​IMG]

Good luck -

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  11. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Ha, I know what you mean...man does it suck! I decided to try a razor fade one day, best haircut I've ever had! Too bad I'm reserve and NO ONE around here knows how to cut a Marines hair...

Semper Fi!

-Cody

12. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

I had a Witch from the JC Penny salon argue with me on how I wanted my beard trimmed. She told me that it shouldn't be trimmed the way I wanted it:upeyes:

14. floorburn_21

floorburn_21 Medium speed, some drag.

I run a wahl buzzer (or make my fiance) no guards at least one every 10 days. Can't handle it long (3/4")

15. longhair

longhair

What's a haircut?

16. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

17. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

I like a #2 but on January 12th I decided to let it grow out.
    Haven't cut it since. But when I did cut it, I cut it myself.
    I didn't really care what I looked like so never really worried about it.
    Just kept going over it till I thought I got all the loose hairs.

You should probably just cut your own, it's not hard.

18. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I'm very thin on top but let the rest grow to the middle of my back. One night when my insomnia was really bad I went for a nice motorcycle ride. I forgot to use ponytail bands and my hair got so tangled, I shaved 5 years of growth all off. I keep it shaved now. nyuk, nyuk, nyuk

19. juswes

juswes Team Red

my barber has been in the same shop for 48 years. He stills shaves your neck and behind your ears and side burns with a straight razor that is 48 years old. He refuses to cut anyones hair that is longer than a couple inchs. He has the lady barbers do that. Never seen a woman in my barber shop either. He is a pretty cool old fellow.

20. okie

okie GT Mayor

He wouldn't cut my hair then:supergrin: