close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hairball question?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Glockgirl26, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Last night my cat was coughing up a hairball. The thing is, she very rarely will actually get rid of one, she gags on it, then swallows or chokes it back. I wish I could tell her I would rather just clean up the mess and have her get rid of it. I've never seen a cat do this, my last cat would just get sick and be done with it. Anyone else ever had a cat do this? It kinda worries me.

2. Str8shootr

Str8shootr

My girlfriend had problems with hairball in her cat, and she switched to Iams Catfood with hairball remedy, and her problems went away.

Years ago I used to have a cat with same problem, I got tired of buying petromalt (my cat hated it), and I started rubbing a few drops of mineral oil on the top of her paw every other day. That worked as well. It helps them pass the hair thru their system.;)

3. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

Fortunately she doesn't get hairballs very often. I feed her the Purina One hairball formula alternate with the regular, and also give the treats with hairball medicine in them. I've just never had a cat that was reluctant to loose one like that, I don't quite know what to make of it.

4. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I think I'm gonna puke.

5. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx

Brush your cat more, this greatly reduces Caramel's puke rate.

She's not a longhair either.
    [​IMG]
    the trick to this is finding a brush your cat likes.
    Took us 3 or 4 before she got happy with this one

If I brush once a day she doesn't puke at all. I can even skip a few days here and there w/o puking coming back.

She gets into modes where she'll puke 2-3 times a week otherwise. When she gets in a puke mode I'll start brushing and it immediatly stops.

Brush your cat.

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Caramel is so cute! :) I love that mailbox photo you posted the other day! It made my collection of cute furbabies for wallpaper ;)

I give my kitties cat grass. It is a mixture of oat, wheat, barley, rye and who knows what else. It helps with digestion and has really cut down the hairballs here. Plus, they love it!

I try to keep them with it all the time that I start from seed but due to my procrastination, I end up buying more than I grow. It is easy to grow, if you actually do it ;Q

I feed Hills Science Diet hairball formula. I know alot of people don't like it, but Fred has trouble with most foods and he can tolerate this so Hills it is. They get Drs. Foster & Smith hairball rememdy a few times a week--they will eat it from the tube so I use it as a treat. I also feed them hairball control treats.

I brush Fred almost daily. He loves it. He comes running when I pick up his brush ;f The other two, I have to hold down but we get it done. I also give fairly frequent baths and scrub, scrub, scrub that loose hair out then use a shedding loop while kitty is still wet to get off more loose hair.

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I graduated to short haired varieties of cats and don't have that problem. I had a longer haired siamese for years, from 1981 to 1999 and he would hack at least one a week on the rug......I hated it!!! ;g

My boys don't get hair balls....but I need to introduce the brush to them...I think they would like it......

8. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I try to brush the cat once in awhile, I usually do it outside on the patio. She hasn't been outside lately due to the weather, so she is probably overdue for brushing. She's a short haired cat, but I imagine she's starting to shed her winter coat. Hairballs are pretty rare for her anyway, she only gets one a couple of times a year.