close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had we not cancelled school, my kids would be home now

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Dennis in MA, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

A whopping ZERO inches of snow on the ground. Just wet. It drops and melts.

Oh well. Virtually every town and private school cancelled - one as early as 2pm yesterday. (That was when the Weather Trolls forecasted 12"+ for today, starting at 7am.)

I'm wondering if we'll get ANY snow of consequence at this point. Not that I mind. And enjoyed staying home myself and spending time with them. . . and going out to bfst with Mrs. in-MA this AM.

2. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Weather forecasting is a crap shoot even with all the sophisticated do dad equipment.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

3pm. "Height of the storm." It's raining. :rofl:

4. professor gun

professor gun

We cannot reliably predict weather 24-48 hours in advance but we are supposed to trust folks who try to tell us about the weather changes that will occur over many years due to "global warming"?:rofl:

5. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

It is actually much easier to predict weather over long periods than over 24-48 hours. Trends in complex systems are easier to determine the larger the data set gets, and forecasting trends becomes easier and more accurate the longer the timeline you have.

Its like saying "you are going to win the lottery tomorrow" vs saying "someone is going to win the lottery this year." One statement has a very very low probability of being accurate, the other is nearly 100% true.