Had to pee during my Root Canal today – bad experience

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Zell, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

At about 3/4 of the way through my root canal today I had to pee so bad I thought I was going to explode. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a strong and overwhelming urge to relieve myself. I was very near letting it all go right there in the dentist chair in front of the dentist and his female assistant.

For various reasons I drank a ton of water this morning before leaving to have the procedure done. I was running late so I did not have a chance to hit a restroom before going in the doctor's office – HUGE mistake. Also, keep in mind that I have an enlarged prostate gland that's really been acting up lately and if you know anything about an enlarged prostate it can essentially squeeze the living daylights out of your urethra tube (the tube that urine passes through) that connects to your bladder on one end and your “tool” on the other. When that happens it’s like someone is squeezing a water hose so tight that the pressure eventually builds behind the squeeze point and has to be released before the whole thing explodes. For me it creates a very urgent need to relieve myself. I do take medication for the problem but I just changed over to a new med and it’s not totally kicked-in yet.

Anyway, so there I am, laying on the dental chair during the procedure tilted so far back that I'm close to sliding off the chair head first – if I did have an “accident” all the urine would have traveled from under my pants across my chest all the way up to my neck and down my armpits. Man, wouldn’t that be something to behold?? At the time of crisis I had this mammoth dental contraption in my mouth that spreads the mouth open beyond anything that is naturally possible. There was this large, bright red rubber sheeting in there that was partially hanging out my mouth that is suppose to separate one part of the mouth from the other and help in keeping the mouth stretched open. I don't know how they were able to stuff all that hardware and plastic into one tight little compartment. Right now I don't know what hurts the most, my gutted, root-canal’d tooth or my whole mouth from being stretched so far open you could have driven an ice rink’s Zomboni through it.

So, at about halfway through all the relentless drilling I begin to feel the pressure build in my bladder -- and it’s growing exponentially by the second. It got so bad I swear the office ceiling had a yellow tint to it. I held off as long as I could. I started acting like a 3 year-old boy trying to pinch off the need to pee; I was crossing my legs and stiffening my body to hold it all in. I even put my hands under the apron that was on top of me and loosened my belt buckle a few notches to try and relieve some pressure. What didn’t help at all was the fact the apron that was on top of me was the same lead-filled apron they used to take x-rays of the tooth in the beginning. It weighed a ton and was pressing down on my gut.

Finally, at about breaking point, I raised my hand in the air to get the dentist’s attention (I couldn’t talk with all that stuff in my mouth). First thing he says is, “do you need to go to the restroom?” and I give him a big thumbs up. After moving stuff out of the way, he tells me the only restroom is out in the hallway beyond the waiting room. Without a care, I immediately jump off the dentist chair and fly out of the procedure area and across a very, very large waiting room area that has about 15-20 people in it -- all of them sitting there straining their heads and gawking as I run past them. I run out the front door, into the hallway and into the restroom and slam the door behind me where it takes me a good 5 minutes to drain my bladder. Relief at last!

While washing my hands I take a look at myself in the mirror over the sink and was very startled by what I saw. I’ll tell you, I looked like Frankenstein’s monster. My mouth was wide open at an angle, there were various pieces of metal and black plastic components protruding out from the orifice and underneath it all there was this blood-red rubber thing, with a hole in it, smashed into my mouth stretching my face into various contorted positions with some of the red rubber stuff hanging down and out and over my mouth and well over my chin – it looked like a clumpy mass of blood just hanging there. I looked absolutely hideous and ghastly! I looked like I was having open heart surgery though my mouth.

Now the hard part, how do I make it all the way back to the dentist’s chair without a whole bunch of people in the waiting room wondering what was going on that caused me to run out of the dentist’s office so quickly. The door to the hallway is on one side of the waiting room and the door to the procedure area is on the opposite side of the room – I have to cross this large room full of people to get to where I need to be. After these people saw what I looked like -- and running like a bloody bat out of Hell to the restroom -- I have no doubt there were many in the waiting area that were now having second thoughts about getting their own root canal today. I didn’t know what to do, so I just decided to suck it up and march back in there as if nothing happened. So I did.

When I opened the door to the waiting room every living person’s head in the room spun around to look at me. All of a sudden the notion that I could just casually walk back through this large waiting room, as if nothing happened, was now just a fantasy pipe dream. Some people just flat-out stared with puzzled expressions; others were wide-eyed with their mouths slightly gaped open, and some of the children in the room looked very startled and concerned and leaned into their parent. I felt their eyes burning holes in my back as I passed by them.

It seemed like it took a million years to cross the room but I did it and got back into the dentist’s chair to let him continue to do his thing. Afterward, I said nothing about the pee break to the dentist nor did he mention it to me. The only thing he said before I left was that he suggested I take the door he was pointing to that lead right to the elevators. And I did exactly that. I wonder how many people in that dental office today will make me a topic of conversation at the office cooler or at the dinner table tonight?

2. Just1More

Just1More

That sucks. I had a root canal last Friday and it still hurts to open my mouth. Lost 6 pounds because I can't eat much.

3. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Done that before. :rofl: Glad you survived.

4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Could have been worse. You could have had huevos rancheros for breakfast and afterward remembered you have a DRE that morning.

Funny story, Zell. Glad you didn't piss yourself.

5. Mike Oxbig

Mike Oxbig Canadian eh!

Haha! I can imagine the looks on their faces!

A few years ago at work I had to take a whiz and the closest bathroom was on the next level so I drop my tools and head for the stairs. As i reach for the knob to the stairwell, the elevator door opens so i hop in for a ride. There were 4 other people in the elevator and didn't the ****in thing stop between floors. Stuck!! The emergency team was there quite quickly (It's A nuclear plant) but still took them 40 minutes to get the thing down to the floor I started on to get us out! When the door opened I ran past the medical team asking if everyone was ok and bolted up the stairs to the bathroom. Now if i'm headed to the can I take the stairs.:)

If it was just me in there I would have peed no problem as the pain was terrible by the end.

6. TCmofo

TCmofo

Sorry for your troubles Zell, it sucks, BUT if it makes you feel any better at all, I laughed my butt off while reading your story....hilarious!

7. S9Man

S9Man

I had a roll over accident a little over a year ago and went to the ER strapped to a board they X-Rayed me then put me into something else because they could not see everything they needed on the X-ray. It was over several hours and I had to pee really bad the whole time. No one cared either, nor did they let me off the board until they were convinced they seen what they wanted to see. I limped out of the ER after a couple of hours. Cut up and bruised, with an empty bladder!

8. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

Whenever I ask myself why I keep returning to Glock Talk, a thread like this surfaces to remind me that there is so much left to see in this world.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

That was YOU!?!?!?!?!

10. lwt210

lwt210

Your lucky if you ask me.

Had I been in your shoes, as I approached the bathroom door some lady would have jumped in there and slammed the door shut.

11. vafish

vafish

But do you really want to see it?

12. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

If that happened to me there would have been a puddle of yellow liquid on the floor waiting for her to slip on it while on her way out.

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I'd have started dancing for the audience in the lobby. At that point, what do you have to lose? :)

14. TNGlockman

TNGlockman NRA Member

That's a funny story. I've been close to that myself a few times! :wavey:

15. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

That makes a good Southwest commercial. "Wanna Get Away?" :supergrin:

16. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

Zell, you do realize this story will soon rank up there with the Ryan's bathroom story, don't you? :rofl:

P. S. Did you ever get your NRA membership?

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Coming back in, you should have twisted your eyes funny and walked around making gargling/roaring noises or something.

If they're gonna talk about you, REALLY give them something to talk about !!

18. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Its a rule. BEFORE you get in a dentist chair, go pee.
    What were you thinking?

My last root canal I was so high I didn't know i had a *****. So high I actually wanted to come down. He turned up the gas, and asked was I feeling anything, I lied and said yes, give me more.
    So he turned it up full blast, and I think he forgot it.
    I was out of my mind. Never had that much nitrous in my life.
    Literally seeing other planets and having the dentist fade in and out.
    Going to the bathroom would have been impossible, I couldn't move, I definitely could not run across a waiting room.
    My kind of doctor!

19. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

i told my mommy it was a alien!!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

20. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Next time wear depends for root canal.

LOL great story!! Any pix??