Had the best weekend in a long time, but my back!!!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by geofri, Feb 21, 2010.

1. geofri

geofri Poikilotherm™ Lifetime Member

Is killing me!

Drove home from school to clean the snake room, get some shipments ready to send out, and restock the food supply.

My little brother pulled me outside to see the pile of snow he had made, for an igloo. Somehow I ended up working on it!

It was sure nice to just drop everything for an afternoon, and do something I hadn't done in years, played in the snow!

It was the first time ever, that we had enough of the right snow to be able to cut it into blocks!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    decided we didn't want to go the igloo route, and it ended up just under 7' tall, and about 20' in diameter.

[​IMG]

2. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Haven't done that since I was a kid, back in the 60's. Always wanted to build an igloo, but ended up building snow forts instead every time for the snowball wars.

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

thats pretty neat,

we used things similar to that for snow forts ..

although it usually was snow balls rolled around for foundation,

then snow packed in and on top

4. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Last time I had a GREAT weekend and my back hurt afterwards, snow and igloos had nothing to do with it... :whistling:

:supergrin:

kestrou

5. cmb19

cmb19

I used to build igloos and the like too, never took the time to cut blocks though, just piled up the snow.

Now, snake room? As in you breed snakes? You should post pictures of that. :supergrin:

6. geofri

Yep, although unfortunately I'm currently selling off my entire collection. I need to be more mobile right now, and that just doesn't work with 60-70 some snakes.

Here are a couple shots I scrounged up,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. geofri

I'll bet you were out bailin' hay all weekend on your grandfathers farm, huh?

:supergrin:

8. cmb19

cmb19

That sucks you need to sell them all...eventually do you think you'll get back into it?
    What snakes do you have? I can't actually see any in the pictures although if the one colored thing I see is a snake it almost looks like a ball. I'm working on getting a snake in the next couple years...unfortunately my fiance is terrified of them. I understand considering he was stuck in the sewers of Iraq looking for people and saw alot of venomous snakes, but snakes have always been a pet I wanted.

9. geofri

I am always surprised how many girls I run into that want a pet snake, but have fearful husbands/bfs.

Ill definitely get back into snakes, Ive been tied down with a large collection since I was 15, and with school and a lotta other stuff i'm just not able to put in the time to keep things healthy and productive.

I have mostly ball pythons, a few blood pythons, some milk snakes, couple leopard geckos, and a few odds n ends.

I have some normal hatchling ball pythons that I'm trying to move out..Talk to the finance, and one is yours if you cover shipping.
    [​IMG]

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

that sucks you have to get rid of them, are you going to try and keep your favorites / best breeders ?

im guessing you didnt have any luck finding an apartment or something in your school town?

11. cmb19

cmb19

I'll definitely run it by him..that would be amaaazing..and that is a pretty little ball for sure.

Would you have any luck with some friends that could take care of some of the snakes for you then give them back once you get to where you can have them again?

12. geofri

Came real close, even brought photos of the snake room and explained everything. He agreed, but the landlord's wife "didn't think it would be such a good idea". :upeyes:

still clinging to the idea that I might be able to keep a few of the "top shelfers", (If i only have a few i can hide them :supergrin:) but I don't think its going to work out

I have about a month until everything has to be gone, so let me know.

Thats what I first tried for, but its just too complicated. It would also affect some of my decisions about moving/transferring schools/ etc...so its just better I cut all ties and start fresh when my living situations stabilize.

13. happy seal

happy seal

I've been thinking about this since your last post about apartments.
    Does the snake room stink? All the rats and food you give them and such! Excuse my ignorance of the subject I just was wondering. :embarassed:

14. geofri

Nothing ignorant about your question,
    The snakes themselves really have no smell, so long as the cages are kept clean, there is very little smell. It's nothing like nothing like cats or dogs, where they have a bodily smell. (like wet fur, etc). I feed mostly frozen( then thawed) food, so isn't any stanky rodents odor.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i know its not exactly the same,

but at the moment i have a couple bearded dragons and water dragons,

with all the apartments that we looked at, we told all the rental agreeement people what they were like, and they didnt even care, the only thing one cared about was no live feeder mice,

i think one said nothing poisonous, but pretty much if its in a cage or tank its fine,

and these are places that are not dog / cat friendly,

you might just look into a basic apartment, something that is run as a corporation or such, and not by a private individual who's feelings get in the way ..

16. geofri

I actually had the opposite experience, the apartments run by large companies all had set down strict animals rules and wouldn't budge, where as the smaller privately owned gave me chance to explain, though you could see most of them shutdown as soon snakes came out my mouth :upeyes:

a lot more people are ok with a lizard, but snakes are out of the question..

I'm thinking of taking advantage of not having the responsibilities of the reptiles, and maybe transferring to Australia for a semester or two since i have always wanted too..

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

while your there could you pick me up a frilled lizard and a real Australian beardy ?

18. geofri

If I do get there Ill be pickin' up anything and everything I see! thats for sure!:supergrin:

Wish they weren't so strict on exporting!

19. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

haha ya darn export laws ..

only takes a really small box with some holes poked in it :)