close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had my first person that wanted to write a complaint...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by flyboy5432H, Feb 15, 2010.

1. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

Finally finished my academy classes a few weeks back and got hired as a special events officer for a local PD. This week was our big week with the Daytona 500 going on so I got to play in traffic all week long. Had a great time dealing with all the people.

Yesterday we were getting people out of the track area during the delays. We would hold pedestrians so they would accumulate as necessary to get some of the car traffic moving. Most never had a problem with it as they saw what we were doing.

Later in the day I had two black males at my corner looking to leave the track. We were holding the pedestrians up for an extra cycle to let them accumulate before moving them across the main road. One of the black males asks me why they were being held and when they could go. I stated "just wait for the little white guy (meaning the crosswalk signal) to come on and then you can cross this time.". He then asks me "why's it always have to be a white guy, never a black guy" and starts off on a tirade on racial equality. I initially thought he was joking and just smiled while still moving traffic along, evidently this infuriated him even more and he began talking with the growing crowd about "these racist cops", "F^&% the police", etc.

He got to the other side to another of our officers and was all over him complaining about the racist cop on the other side and he'd be going to the department and have my badge (not even LEO yet and someone already wants my badge!!:upeyes:).

Just wondering, how you guys would diffuse a situation where an innocent, or factual remark can cause racial tension like that?

2. Officer X

Officer X

Realize who you're talking to and don't say stupid things. Some people are just looking to make a complaint.

3. Gangrel

Gangrel

Sometimes there's nothing you can do to avoid such things. Noooow... this time, the innocent comment was ill-used, so it's not surprising.

4. blueiron

blueiron

Learn to ignore the uneducatable and the willfully stupid.

It makes dealing with the other 50% of the world a joy.

5. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

No way he files a complaint on you. No way.

Not the smartiest thang you could a said though.

6. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Tell that to Howard Cosell.. or Don Imus..

Just sayin..

7. blueiron

blueiron

Please ban this statement.

8. flyboy5432H

Yeah, I defintely learned that intent, and impact can vary greatly.

He was the only problem that I had the entire week. Lots of people were very happy to have us out there making sure everyone got in to the race and back home safe. Even saved a drunk that wanted to take a stroll into oncoming traffic, thankfully he had a bag on his back I got a hold of and dragged him back out of the way.

I know it's all situational, but how do you guys try to handle a situation where you may inadvertantly offend someone? Try to talk it out with them, or do your best to just let the matter drop?

9. Gangrel

Gangrel

Hey, it's no big deal...

just sayin'....

10. trifecta

trifecta

"Talk it out" is frequently not effective. That's just a fancy way of saying arguing. Most of that will come when you contact a violator. If they want to argue, let them do it in court.

For the original situation, an apology for the misunderstanding and short explanation might have been in order. He may have been a dirt ball or he may have been sincere. The easiest way to find out would have been to do the right thing and clear it up. Right or wrong, he will now tell everyone he knows about your contact.

11. jnc36rcpd

jnc36rcpd

When internal affairs calls you in, tell them you're offended that there is no "little black guy" on the pedestrian traffic signal.

I've been the police for thirty years, most of that as a supervisor. I doubt I would have seen that complaint coming (though I will from now on). In retrospect, you should have said something different, but you didn't say anything wrong.

I doubt the racist dirtbag will file a complaint. If he does, tell the truth.

12. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

there is a device called the taser...just use it anytime your are confused about what to do

hey its no big deal...

13. flyboy5432H

Oh he was quite vocal in telling everyone in the general area about how he is always hassled by the police, getting pulled over, searched, etc... hence the "F#$@ the police" statement he made repeatedly. Evidently he was a cop magnet.

I didn't see a way of winning that argument so I just went back to doing my job and was curteous and polite to everyone, including him. He said when crossing "have a wonderful day officer, hope you don't fall out into traffic or nuffin'.":supergrin:

He didn't even get my name or any other information so i'm not even concerned about getting an actual complaint. I'm more interested in learning from the situation for future reference when I do start out working. Guess you can't make them all happy.

14. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Why DOES the guy in the crosswalk sign have to be white all the time, anyway? :steamed:

Randy

15. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

Let's just go back to English on the cross walk signs. Green for the English.:supergrin:

16. groovyash

groovyash

Try and make the best of it and intentionally offend them. If their gonna complain might as well make it worth it :supergrin:

17. h2opolo150

h2opolo150

Just tell him because the little asian guy that built the computer running the little white guy wasn't able to fit a little yellow guy next to the little white guy and just put an orange hand to include everyone other than little white guys who can't walk normally

18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Nothing you can do when someone wants to pick a fight, no matter what you say, it won't make a difference. Just realize some people are miserable by nature and they have to fight people to make themselves feel important.

In that situation, I would have explained that the signal shows clearly a white colored man for walk and that he was mistakenly making a racial issue out of nothing. Hopefully others around him will tell him he is being a stupid racist and even if he doesn't realize it, he will be shamed into shutting up. If not, there's always OC.

19. FLglockdude

FLglockdude

You should have told him the guy was white because if he was black, the sign isn't detailed enough to show the teeth and eyes from a distance :supergrin:

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

That'll help calm down the race pimps!