close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had it with my Garmin Nuvi.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by chris in va, Mar 30, 2012.

1. chris in va

chris in va

Slow to draw, pressure touch screen, doesn't show half the places I need to go despite a fresh update, generally irritating.

Just gonna get my money back and try something else. I really like the Google maps on my Iphone, wondering if anyone recommends some sort of attachment that receives a satellite GPS signal so I can still use it out in the boonies. It's strictly for work, so just on roads.

2. ray9898

ray9898

Never had an experience anything like that with any Garmin I have ever owned.

Also, the limitations of your smart phone is the data signal and not the GPS. A cell phone downloads the map using the data signal, so no signal in the boonies means no maps. I learned the hard way on a trip through a national forrest.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

3. Breadman03

Breadman03

My Nuvi works pretty good. Maybe you just got a defective unit, or they just stink in your area. When I first got mine, I walked out of the store, plugged it in, and turned it on. By the time I has the suction cup on the windshield, it already had the map up with my location and still works just as well now.

4. Keyhole

Keyhole

Bummer your experience was bad. I'm a big fan of Nuvi.

5. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

I got tired of resistive screens, so when I got a new GPS, I went for the Nuvi 3790LMT. Glass capacitive hi-res screen. Lifetime map updates and lifetime traffic subscription. Voice control, and a loud speaker built into the cradle. It's also thinner than most of the new thin smartphones.

Im happy with it.

DW

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

There are some navigation apps on the iPhone that actually download all of the maps beforehand. They take a little over 2GB of space. Should work even without a data signal.

7. njl

njl

Which model? I've owned/used several Nuvi's and the only lemon so far was a 1390. It was slower than a 550 at redrawing the screen and far less reliable at registering touches. It went back and we tried a higher up model that worked out just fine.

8. fireguy129

fireguy129

I had my nuvi go goofy driving home from South Carolina. It continually showed me 2 miles east of where I was, as in im in the middle of the woods when Im actually on 95. Made it rough cause all the directions it gave me were to get back on the highway im already on.

9. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

I still own a Garmin Nuvi 780 and nuvi 755 (both older models no longer made). A few months ago I paid Garmin $49.00 to update the map on the Nuvi 780...big mistake, very slowed reaction afterwards touch pad reacted way slower if at all at times. The updated map download almost took up all the memory in the Nuvi 780 (it has an mp3 player) so I had to put all the songs and photos on a 2GB SD card and put it into the SD card slot, it now runs a little faster.

I don't plan on updating the map of the Nuvi 755 T (T is for traffic). But the maps do get old and new developments and roadways change every few years.

For Christmas my wife got me a Garmin Nuvi 1300LM (LM for free lifetime map updates). It;s good, but it doesn't have as many languages on it and no mp3 player. It has a micro SD slot for extra memory...but it works great and the maps are up to date.

[​IMG]

I also own a TomTom with life time maps and traffic and a Magellan (for my other vehicles)but the Garmin Nuvi's by far are the best GPS units.

10. Paul53

Paul53 Scream catcher

Had same problem. Hooked Nuvi up to my laptop via USB port, looked into the device by clicking on it after start > computer > Nuvi. Found two large map files, moved the older to the sd card, and Nuvi worked much faster.

Also, have you tried the Garmin website for troubleshooting? It's really quite good.

11. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Maybe you got a lemon? In winter mine is 'stiff" on screen if its sat in car in sub zero overnight. As I normally know which direction to start its no big deal. Plug it in, let it load maps and 10 minutes later its like 70 degrees operating.
    I didn't get lifetime maps. I was told its cheaper to buy new one then cable, pay for updates, and some issues with updates.

Its a tool. I use it and map. More then once I think its wrong I pull over/ check map. They do make mistakes. I still would hate to be without it.

12. chris in va

chris in va

I want to say it's the 1390. You pan out for a bigger view and it takes almost half a minute sometimes. I like the older 255wt, despite the voice stuttering.

Anyone try the Bad Elf GPS module for the iphone?

"Turn.......left"

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  13. Tx-SIG229

Tx-SIG229

my first gps was a garmin, model 48 i think. it only gave you the bread crumb trail thing showing where you have gone. over the years their gps units came out with more features (road maps and then color screens etal).

my last garmin gps was the nuvi 680 (the one with the mp3 player) which was a great unit which i've used for over 8 years. when that went on the fritz (screen freezing up etc) i bought a newer nuvi model which had half the features :/ This unit has also given me problems, such as not being able to calculate the correct arrival times, alarm not working, not allowing the world clock to be set and it sometimes being a PITA to turn on.

in conclusion, over the years (and after 8 or 9 garmin gps units) garmin's quality has seriously gone down. maybe its time to come to full circle and go back to using paper maps lol

14. SpoiledBySig

SpoiledBySig Millennium Member

Paul53, whoever you really are...I just moved the old map file to the SD card and the Nuvi 780 works super fast like it used to be.

Thanks.:cool:

15. Kloogee

Kloogee

Just to be clear, when in the boonies with your iPhone, it is not the GPS signal that is the problem. It is the lack of a data connection. The maps app that comes on the iPhone requires the maps to be sent over your 3G data connection (which is non-existent in the boonies).

As someone else mentioned there are other mapping apps available for download on the iPhone (for a fee). And with them they download all of the mapping data so it doesn't have to get them via a data connection when you don't have one. Just be aware that they will use a significant chunk of your storage on your phone.

16. chris in va

chris in va

If I don't have a data connection, my Iphone can't triangulate, right? That's why I was thinking of that Bad Elf satellite receiver.

I was riding out in a local State Forest and lost all signal, and the phone couldn't locate me at all.

17. ray9898

ray9898

I bet the GPS found you but the phone could not download a map to plot the location.

18. Paul53

Paul53 Scream catcher

Most welcome, glad I could help. Paul

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  19. Kloogee

Kloogee

Exactly! :wavey:

20. chris in va

chris in va

Help me understand this.

If my phone has no service, no towers at all, how could it possibly know my location? The phone has no satellite receiver. I don't see how an internal map would do anything.