close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had a wreck this morning!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by BobRicks, Apr 13, 2006.

1. BobRicks

BobRicks

I knew I would eventually have an accident on my motorcycle, but I thought I would be the cause of it, like hitting gravel on a curve and laying it down, or something like that. But NOOOOO, not my fault! This morning while heading to the sheriff's office for my morning cup of coffee, I was rear-ended while setting still at a red light. I heard the vehicle behind me lock up the brakes, and looked in the mirror just in time to see this rather large Cadillac Escalade bearing down on me! I didn't have enough time to let out on the clutch and hit the gas before she plowed in the the back of the bike. It knocked me forward about 10 feet, and I came to a stop upright, and layed the bike down on its right side because I had lost my balance. I got off the bike and was rather PO'd. It was only 8 days old and had 440 miles on it. I had just bought a new Yamaha Royal Star, and I loved it! Put 240 miles on it last Saturday with a couple of other riders from church. Other driver knew she had messed up when I took off my jacket and was in uniform! The look on her face was priceless when she realized she had just rear-ended a police officer! That was the only funny thing about the whole wreck.

The good news is I was not injured. My back is a little sore and tight right now, and I am sure I will be sore in the morning when I get up, but I am fine, bike is kinda screwed up though. It knocked the rear fender in to the tire, and tore up both saddle bags all to heck. I don't think there is any frame damage, but the bike is at the shop right now getting an estimate.

Her excuse? She said she had looked off to the side to find something and she just didn't see me when she looked back up.

Guess this is just a good reminder to be prepared for ANYTHING while riding, and from now on I will be a little more aware while stopped at intersections!

Stay safe out there, fellow riders!

Bob

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Holy smoly!!! Be glad that you live to tell the tales. :shocked:

I always do three things whenever I am at the fore front of a stop light:

1. Keep the bike in gear and ready to haul ***.
    2. Keep one of my eyes glued to the rearview mirror.
    3. Park the bike off to the farther side of the lane, either left or right.

Of course in your case, #3 wouldn't mean diddly because the Escalade would have taken up the whole freaking lane.:soap:

Unfortunately cagers simply don't pay enough attention to see you.

I ride very defensively on the street. I'm not crawling along or anything like that, but I always try to keep from getting boxed in either via some judicious use of the throttle or the bike's agility. But LA being what it is, there are times when you have no choice but get boxed in.

I almost got sideswiped by a chick who was looking directly at me. How the hell can you not see a fat guy dressed in bright yellow/red leathers and on a bright red bike five feet from you?

Leave nothing to chance.

3. D25

D25 The Quick

Glad you are OK.

Stoplights make me nervous for that very reason. There is nothing worse than hearing tires screaching up behind you. +1 to what fnfalman said.

4. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

1. Don't put it off, go see a doctor anyhow and tell him/her what happened.
    2. This is why you want to go to the doctor - this is a husband/wife that just experienced something very similar. Read through the thread to see where they were a little sore but then it got much worse...
    http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8280

5. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

+1

I believe her insurance will pay for it anyways. I had a group of friends at work who went to lunch together in the same car. Thy got rearended by some moron at a stoplight just like you. 3 of the 4 of them went to the doctor just to make sure they were fine and they got a check to cover the bill in the end (they were all okay, just sore). So you may not even have to pay for it if you do go.

Plus there will be a record of it if it does turn into something worse, more ammo for the lawyers.

Better safe than sorry.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Glad you're ok. I've got an older bike and have been considering adding an LED brake light in addition to the rear brake light. While it won't prevent what happened to you, can't hurt. I better get on it.

7. Dandapani

Dandapani

Ditto on the well wishes.

I'm with D25 on the stoplight thing. Seems like bikers always get stopped by the light and are head of the line. I warn my son to not try and win the stoplight drag race when the light turns green, especially here in our part of Florida, someone is ALWAYS running the red light on the cross lane traffic.

8. BikerRN

BikerRN

First off, glad you're reasonably OK. Second, go to the Doctor.

Thirdly, I hope this cage driver learned an important lesson and when driving will drive and not be distracted by other things.

Take care, ride safe, and watch your six. :)

9. BobRicks

BobRicks

First off, I was fine, no injuries. Not even sore the next day. The bad part was that there was almost $7000 damage to my NEW motorcycle. The good part is there was no frame damage, and from the rear of the driver seat back is now brand new. I picked up the bike today from the shop after being without it for almost 1 1/2 months, and put 70 miles on it. From what I could tell, it looks brand new, and rides just like it did the day I picked it up when it was brand new.

Now I look forward to more trips with my buds from church on Saturday mornings. I WILL pay a little closer attention to things in the rear view mirrors at intersections!!!!

Stay safe fellow riders.

Bob

10. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

wow..glad everything worked out for you and esp that you were OK..i have the led brake light and i dont think it helps much.. people just dont see... i got hit from the side a few years back and heard the tires before the hit ( he crossed a double yellow to make a lane where there was none and luck for me a cop was right there to see it) and hit me from the side, broke my foot and back ( didnt really know about the back at first.. screwed the bike up some but not unridable, totaled his lil car which he was driving home from the body shop... i road the bike home cause i figured if i didnt, i wouldnt get on another one.. must have worked cause i never have missed a beat sence

11. Bandalero

Bandalero

Oh, man... Glad to hear you're okay with that monster of a vehicle barreling down on you....

Haha about the look on her face when she saw the uniform. I carry a digital camera and that is unsettling to people when you hop out/off and start snapping pictures.

This is one of my fears - the rear-ender. I also try to sit to right or left of the lane. I think it's harder for them to see you if you are directly behind another vehicle also. I also will pump my brakes. Some of those big SUVs/trucks can hide a Goldwing in their blind spots.

Before I started riding, I am sorry to say I didn't notice motorcycles much. Now I can see them coming and am much more aware. With the new vehicles, soundproofing, radios, cell phones, and the other distractions, it is not surprising.

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

That's a big affirmative!!!

I never sit in the middle of the lane. That way at least if the bastard didn't see me, he might have just simply missed me. Or if I'm behind another car, I'd simply zip up between them and out of harm's way.

The New Mexico Motor Vehicle Department handbook said that a motorcyclist should stop behind another car so that the car behind the bike won't try to "squeeze" in.

I wonder if the morons who wrote this section had ever done any motorcycling at all? I cringe every time I see a bike stopping directly behind a cage. That's a recipe for metal sandwich that I don't care to be the stuffing for.

13. dana

dana

First and foremost I am glad you are ok. I know most of this has already been said about being stopped at lights.
    1. Try to pump the brakes occasionally to get the rear brake light flashing. This is really important when trying to turn left and you are stopped in a lane of traffic.
    2. Try to keep it in gear and a eye on the rear view mirror. But realistically I doubt you could get out of the way of a car in time.
    3. Most important to me is to stay off to one side of the car in front of me. Also try to keep the bike pointed away from a solid object or oncoming traffic. This has two effects. If you can hit the gas and get out of the way you wont run into a object or worse oncoming traffic. But mostly I fear the person that doesn’t even hit the brakes and smashes me between them and the car in front of me. If I am off to the side I might get hit hard but hopefully I wont get smashed between two vehicles. Also if you get hit hard enough to push you say 5 or 6 feet you don’t want to be “bumped” into oncoming traffic.

I was rear ended lightly once a long time ago. The driver just took there foot of the brake and rolled into my back tire at about 5mph. It bumped me forward about 3 feet and still hurt like hell. But if I had been knocked into a lane of oncoming traffic it would have hurt worse.

14. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I'll just add my 2 cents worth about suggestion #3. If I pull over to the side of the lane when I stop some jerk in a cage WILL crowd in beside me, I've even had one try to knock me over for no reason other than I was there. (I had never seen the guy before)

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

In my state we have the right to have our vehicles fixed where ever we want. I would suggest you have your bike fixed by OCC.