close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had a request......What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KommieforniaGlocker, Dec 3, 2012.

1. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Okay I have several family friends, that I consider more family than most of my family.

Last night a friend of mine's daughter 22 year old, she just finished graduated college....Double major Business Finance and Economics....During college she worked any job she could get some times working two jobs, during holidays to pay her way through school.
    When her Dad was laid off 2 years back she handed over all her check to them to help..When her grandma was sick before she passed she spent time with her bathing her and changing her.....

She is hard-working, not party chick, actually kind of nerdy, but sweet gal none the less.

.But this caught me off guard....So for past 7 months (since she graduated) She has not for the life of her been able to land employment, and what I mean "employment" I mean a "career." Professional job....(that she went to school for, no shortage of service industry jobs or retail)

Her work experience has been retail, and while she did well, and good report she has been unable to land employment.

She has interviewed ALOT, but the biggest objection that comes is she lacks "experience." She has worked since she was 15, but the experience most of the places she is applying, Banking, Financial Services, Insurance Services, Actuary, and Consulting places, all want experience in that field, shoot even the "entry-level" ones, want experience on top of School.

I know the economy is bad, and the competition is stiff, she is very professional, and I would hire her if I could, but since I am starting from scratch my agency, I could not guarantee her a "career." (And now with this I dunno if I could trust her)
    Only a job, so she asked me for favor, she was very ashamed, (or seemed like it) but after explaining to me all that she is going through in her quest to utilize her education, she asked me to LIE.

She asked if she could put on her Resume, that she worked for me for a period of time as an Account Executive/Customer Service for my Insurance and Financial Services Agency the last 2 years while she went to school.

:dunno:

What would you folks have done??....

Be honest, and please give your reasoning...I will tell all of you what I said and did.

2. kiole

kiole

I would probably do it..

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

It's all about your personal ethics.

I can't tell you what you should do.

As for me, I wouldn't do it. I'd write a glowing letter of recommendation based on her potentials, but that's about it.

Edit to add: My reasoning is that my word is my bond. My clients, my peers, my subordinates, my superiors, they all trust in my words. If I were to lie for somebody no matter how noble the cause is, then it's still a lie.

Don't get me wrong, I lie out of my ass to pick up chicks when I'm off work, but when it's business related, I'm all 100% transparent.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

You answered the question, yourself.

I cannot and won't lie, for anyone.

There it is. You asked.

5. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

"Honest" in what you would do, not with who you would be "honest" with.

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

I would not and will not lie, for anyone.
    That is my ethic.
    It's not fair to the other person, or 'you' (whomever 'you' covers).

As fnfalman said,
    For me. . . . I'm only as good as my word. After all, it's all that I truly have.

7. curlysir

curlysir

One of the many problems with the request is that if it is every found out that she didn't actually work for you it would be cause for immediate dismissal with most companies.

I would not have done it and explained the reasoning besides not being good business ethics and could reflect negatively on you. I would offer my name as a personal and professional reference.

8. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Kommie-

I was in a similar situation a few months ago, and posted this on GT. the consensus was that you shouldn't lie to help get someone ahead.

In my situation, I had a past coworker who had been unemployed for the past three years. One day the CEO of a large, nationwide sporting goods company calls me asking for a recommendation. I give her a glowing recommendation - until he tells me about what the job entails.

The problem was that she was applying for a position that would have her cross managing several departments with skill sets she doesnt have knowledge in (she works in scheduling commercials - this job would require her to manage graphic designers, writers, etc). I told the CEO point blank that I could only endorse her on the skillset she had, and management of cross-segmented departments was not one of them.

Some on GT called me an a-hole, but here's the deal: you do her no favor for lying. If she gets the job and it doesnt work out, she'll be miserable, the company will be miserable and she will be fired. Then she has THAT on her resume.

As others have said, writer her a letter of endorsement for the skillset you know she has. From what you write, she is a hard and determined worker who is also compasionate. Hearing that she wanted you to lie, however, makes me as a small business owner and previous hiring manager, want to avoid her like herpes.

9. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

In desperate times, some will resort to desperate measures. Her coming across as "ashamed" when she asked you to lie for her, to me, says that she knows it isn't right, and that it's a big deal for her, but she has exhausted all other options she knows of. It doesn't make it right in any regard, but I wouldn't worry too much about her morality as of yet.

Do you know anyone within that field that might be able to take her on for a while, to give her some experience? Perhaps if you could get her in the door somewhere, it'll be win/win for the both of you, as neither of you will have to go against your personal morals or values.

10. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

But I did it, in hind sight it probably wasn't the best thing to do. But in that moment, I felt it too difficult to say no, then I started rationalizing and justifying it like this: Telling my self that more than half of people lie on resumes, by enhancing their skills, and many times claiming degrees and educational accolades they never completed.

Oh well I messed up, one thing though she is doing is meeting with my wife, this weekend, so my wife can teach her the "in's and Out's," and basic/general knowledge and terms of our industry and agency, that way if she gets "called out" she can at least "look like" she knows what she is talking about. Just to get her foot in the door, then it will be sink or swim.

I know this no excuse but I have seen how corporations/large companies operate (from years working for them) and how they hire, as it is you need to have an "in" and in this economy the anti has been upped.

Flame away, and I am conflicted, because I know it was wrong, but I wanted to help her......
    This may or may not come back to bite me in the ass, if it does then it is what it is.

11. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

This was the first thing I did I started calling friends and contacts I had, most of them are downsizing, and could only offer her an Internship given economy, and she needs some steady income as she is trying to get out on her own....

She helps her parents out financially, (something pretty rare these days of young folks) and anything else.
    So that has slowed her down, about fiscally from some of her goals but I never ever hear her complain or talk about it, I only know because her dad tells me.

12. Patchman

Patchman Florist

OK so you know her personally and know her background. Obviously she's desperate to find a career job. Can't blame her.

But I also wouldn't write something so completely false.

maybe you can find a project in your office that she can work on? Then, when needed, you can write a great letter of recommendation not only about how you've known her, her character, work ethics, etc... but you can also truthfully say you have personal knowledge of her professional abilities because she's wrapping up a special project in your office, etc...

13. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I all give up my money, my home, and even my family before I ever give up my integrity. If I work hard enough, I can get everything else back. Once my integrity is gone, it's gone for good.

Integrity is absolutely, positively everything.

Tell her to be patient. It'll happen.

14. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

You weighed the pros and the cons, and made the best decision you could given the circumstances. I hope it all works out in the end for her. :wavey:

15. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

What if you offer her an internship, unpaid, that would give her some experience? Allow her the time to work a part time job for some income, and then if she turns out to be an asset, one creating profits for you, then you might hire her. Down the road, she would be able to list your company on her resume, she would have experience, and you might have increased your revenues because of her participation.

16. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

So she does not want to take a retail job, because why? As late as 2008 I worked at Wal-Mart. As late as 2011 I worked as a security guard(along with my full-time job) to make ends meet and support my family. I have two BA degrees along with an MBA in IT Management (plus two Associates degrees but those don't count). No. job. is. beneath. anyone. Made contacts at my security gig that turned into a higher paying job somewhere else so I no longer had to work two jobs. Now I work one job and support my family. I'm in my 40's.

I would probably lie for her though.

Oh and I'll be the jerk who says it, TOGTFO.

17. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Nothing against retail, or the service industry jobs she had, in fact, she is doing them without complaints.

She is trying to get some stability, 8-5 hours, a steady pay. It is hard to make a permanent move when Service Industry jobs as retail fluctuate, from Hours, schedule, etc. Everybody wants a career, nobody wants a job.

18. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

No flames from me.

You did what YOU thought was right, for the situation.

You asked what "I" would do, and why.

19. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

She offered to help me on her days off at office, with no pay, just to get experience, but I have always felt like crap with internships, I don't believe in making some one work for free. I have serious personal qualms with it. She is gonna come by this weekend with wife to office, if there is something she wants to do after wife briefs her, then thats fine.....

I made my choice to help her without strings attached, so I am not gonna be "that guy" the "you owe me one" type of person...

20. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Tough call, on the one hand I get the side that says now and why and the other side I get their point as well. But to me it comes down to this reality, one I faced myself in life and I was fortunate enough to have someone in a position to help, similar to yourself.

If you know the person to be above board and a hard charger (as it appears by your post) then giving someone a little more help, especially in a tight market like this, then I would probably do it but keep it simple. If the market was more open then no I wouldn't.

I have said this before and will probably say it again. Sometimes good people are put in a position that no matter how good they are, how smart they are or how lucky they still need a nudge from someone else to get them back onto or in this case, onto the track of success.