close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had a problem with my Ruger Mark II Target

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by deadite, Feb 8, 2010.

1. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I've posted pics of this gun before. The last time I took it to the range I was having multiple Failure to Feeds and it was blowing my mind.

Let's back up. To get started, here's what it looked like before I tricked it out:

[​IMG]

Immediately after trading for it, I took it to the range and tried her out. It had no FTF or FTE or anything. It ran perfectly. Nice, considering it was used. :)

I then had it drilled and tapped for a Ruger factory rail, mounted the red-dot, updated some parts like the extractor with a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor, a V trigger, sear, extended mag release, hammer bushing, and then I replaced the factory grips with these Herrett's Nationals:

[​IMG]

Like I said, a few days ago, I was getting 65% FTFs and I couldn't figure it out. I was thinking that the new mags I got weren't functioning correctly. I was wrong. I was even using CCI Mini-Mags that usually run flawlessly. There are a ton of fixes for Ruger Marks online, but none of them seemed to address my specific problem.

Long story short, the Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor, which I normally love on my other Marks, was the culpret. It's most likely out of spec.

[​IMG]

It's so sharp on the edges that, while attempting to chamber a round, it would bite into the rim and not allow the cartridges to slide up into the chamber. It would literally lock the bullet between the extractor and the chamber at a 45 degree angle, bending the bullet almost every time. Fortunately, I still have the original factory extractor, replaced the bad one, and it now functions perfectly.

I'm used to the Volquartsen extractor solving problems, not creating them.

This was just a heads-up if you're having the same type of problem. I almost sold the gun, but fortunately, through the process of elimination, I was able to find the problem.

I'm starting to think that Volquartsen is having QC problems. I've had to return and exchange two target triggers, an extended mag release that was out of spec, and now this extractor problem. That's 4 Volquartsen quality control problems with 3 gun updates. All were out of spec problems.

The lesson learned was that if it's not broken, don't fix it. If your Mark is having extraction problems, then by all means change out the extractor. If it's not, leave it alone. :)

deadite

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

That's too bad. They have a great reputation. Maybe you could salvage the extractor by knocking the top and bottom points off the hook and doing a very slight "melt" treatment ?

3. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Couldn't hurt to try it out.

deadite

4. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Ruger mag springs can cause problems, I left my springs loaded for weeks at a time to soften them up when the gun was new.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Good looking gun.:)

I also believe, "If it ain't broke don't fix it", but it's hard to avoid tinkering sometimes.

I'm glad you found the problem.

Yes, I'd try that. Just do a little at a time.

6. ManNamedJed

ManNamedJed

email volquartsen, they are really good to deal with. I'm sure they'll make it right.

7. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Good idea. I tend to load up mags in anticipation of my next shooting session anyway. :)

Thanks! I have a hard time not tinkering with guns that I have. Lately, I've been trading up to more classic guns and I'm really trying to avoid the tinkering-urge.

I'm pretty sure they'd take care of the problem. I just feel weird sending ANOTHER part back to them considering the low cost of the part. I know that they're the ones that should feel bad, but I don't know if it's worth it.

deadite

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Seriously, if I had to sell this after all the trouble I went through to get it finished, I would have been really bummed.

I had a Mark III that I sold to get the Mark II. Oddly enough, the Mark III had no problems. I just wanted to avoid the steroeotypical Mark III problems preemptively. :)

Live and learn, I guess. Well, now it shoots well again.

deadite

9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Oh well...at least you got it up and running again. I agree about maybe breaking the edges on the VQ extractor. I have the VQ trigger and sear in my mkII. Good stuff.

10. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

I'm a big fan of Ruger MK IIs and like the Volquartsen trigger sets and sights...but...I've never seen a reason to replace the stock extractors.

11. hatidua

hatidua

I'll second that. I see no reason whatsoever to mess with the Ruger extractor which works just fine. Sometimes, replacement does not equal 'better'. I have five Mk-II's and while I have a Volquartsen trigger in a few, none are getting their extractor.

12. deadite

deadite Groovy.

I read a ton of people extolling the virtues of the Exact Edge extractor on Rimfirecentral.com, so I figure, "what the heck? I'll try one. "and up until now, they've worked pretty well.

I hear that they are excellent for solving extraction problems.

Serves me right for fixing what didn't need to be fixed. :)

deadite

13. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Anyway, just curious. Why do you have 5 Mark II's? :wow:

deadite

14. unit1069

unit1069

When you installed the Volquartsen extractor did you also install the spring that came with it? The set I bought specifically warned that the extractor spring was not to be used in the Mark II, only the .22lr rifle, and that the stock Ruger factory extractor spring should be used.

I installed the Volquartsen extractor and used the original Ruger extractor spring and it's solved all the FTE problems I had with this very well used pistol.

15. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Good thinking, but I used the original. :)

They normally work really well.

deadite

16. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

When I bought Volquartsen sear for my Mark II, it was in the half price bargain bin because it wasn't made using the new EDM (electric discharge machining). At the time I was like OK, so it was made using normal machining processes, I can live with that. Now I am thinking I am glad I got an old one.

Thanks for the info.

17. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Never thought of that, but that's really cool you got a good one. :)

deadite

18. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Agreed.

Even though I've had these few problems with their QC, I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service and their products as a whole.

When the parts are working as advertised, and they usually do, they make all the difference in the trigger break. It's really tightened up my groups. :)

I've found that a good trigger, a steady hand, and good sights are the ideal combo.

deadite

19. speedsix

speedsix

I am a big fan of Ruger MKIIs. I have owned at least one of them for the past 17 years. It was the first handgun I bought when I turned 18.

I have owned probably half a dozen over the years and I only had problems with one of them. It was a 5.5" SS bull bbl target model. It just wouldn't work. Mostly it was FTF but there were plenty of FTE as well. I ended up giving it to my father because I was tired of it. He kept it cocked and the mags loaded for years and hardly ever shot it.

After a few years he asked if I wanted it back because he had bought something else and didn't need it anymore. I was not crazy about getting it back because I remember it being a problem gun. When I got it back, I unloaded it and cleaned it. My dad is famous for never cleaning his guns. I took it out and shot it. I think I had 1-2 jams in the first few mags. After that, it ran like a freaking top! It now is as reliable as the ammo with the only problems being misfires from cheap bulk packed Rem ammo from time to time which is 100% normal. With CCI Stingers, it is as reliable as a .22lr can be.

The moral of the story here is: on Ruger MKIIs, sometimes the springs need to be broken in. Shooting them works best but leaving them cocked with mags loaded will help as well.

20. deadite

deadite Groovy.

Great story! Thanks!

deadite