Had a hiccup at the range need advice

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by scprotector1, Mar 12, 2010.

1. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

So i took my brand new Glock 19 to the range today! brought 50 rnds of WWB, 200 rnds of Federal Champion. It ate them all flawlessly and the gun performed well, I ran 15 rnds of Hornady Tap also. I ran out of ammo and wanted to shoot somemore, so i went to the rangemaster and bought 50 rnds of CCI blazer- the aluminum ones. It ran all of them flawlessly except for one round which caused the gun to jam and fail to go into battery, the round was the last one in the stock 15 round magazine, the slide wouldn't budge so i had to slam the back of it into battery and eject the round. i inspected it and it looked sort of normal but the nose seemed slightly set back, at this point i had 5 rounds of CCI Blazer left so i took the faulty round put it in the mag and loaded the remaining rounds so that the faulty round would be the last one in the magazine. Started firing and again it jammed on the last faulty round. I repeated the same steps above and ejected the round. After that i ran 7 rounds of Corbon DPX that had been rechambered a bit to get rid of it, it ran fine after the malfunction. So since this is my first malfunction ever with any glock that ive ever owned, and my first time shooting CCI would you say this is the gun or the ammo? I took a pic of the round that caused the failure: [​IMG]

So what do yall experts think?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. Scott30

Scott30

Sounds like a bad round to me. You shot too many others flawlessly to blame anything else. Just scrap the bad round and keep shooting.

3. scprotector1

Is CCI known to be crappy ammo?

4. jesse2205

jesse2205

CCI is not bad ammo, but according to your story it has to be a faulty round. Don't worry, I seriously doubt you'll have another problem.

5. scprotector1

Whether its bad ammo or not ill stick to good old fashioned brass from now on, i tried loading that round into my glock 19 right now and it jammed but loaded Corbon and WWB just fine, i also tried it in my G26 and it jammed my 26 also

6. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

It was definitely the round unless we're all missing something.
    Don't worry about it, it shouldn't happen again.

7. zeke66

zeke66

Countless flawless cycles with different ammo, then failure to go into battery TWICE, with the SAME round? I think you answered your own question.

8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Drink a glass of water while holding your breath.Works everytime...:supergrin:

9. voyager4520

voyager4520

Sounds like a bad round. CCI Blazer is aluminum cased. CCI Blazer Brass is brass cased. I only use brass cased or nickel plated brass cased ammo and I've never had a problem.

Not that aluminum cased is bad, the rest of them ran fine except that one round.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  10. MonsterB

MonsterB

absolutely a bad round, no question about it...i had a fte with my g26 at about 700 rounds in, but since then have put almost4000k through with not one failure of any kind...tons of blazer aluminum and no failures yet. Bad rounds can and do happen, sounds like your gun is fine.

11. Aquanewt

Aquanewt

Naw, It's the pistol. I'll make a GREAT deal for ya!

12. scprotector1

Anyone else have bad experience with CCI Blazer?

13. scprotector1

Oh hardy har har! :)

14. HK Dan

HK Dan

For the record--please don't force the slide into battery. It's not that it'll hurt the gun, it's just that if it doesn't fire you may play hell getting it back out again.

I shoot handloads; the causes for this are pretty well known--it's a bad round. I don't shoot aluminum cases because I like to reload them. Barring that, this ammo should work fine. I don't use steel cases, and advise others not to use them either, however.

15. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Working. AGAIN!

I ran Blazer exclusively until the price went up to about the same as brass. I can't recall a bad round or a rpped case head or a bad primer.
    When I say exclusively, I mean about 7k through several different 9mm Glocks.

16. 125K9

125K9

I had a G26 that absolutely wouldn't work with CCI Blazer. It was flawless with everything else imaginable, but simply wouldn't work with Blazer.

17. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

Like everyone else said, toss the round and forget about it. Stick to what has worked for you so far and put your focus on enjoying your new toy, i mean gun :supergrin:

18. scprotector1

figured out what happened, that one particular round when chambered caused the nose to set back in the casing significantly, causing it to get hung up on the barrel and causing the slide to stick out of battery by half an inch or so. If i was actually able to chamber the round and fire it...who knows what wouldve happened? I found this out by comparing the round to another 9mm FMJ round and another "normal" Blazer Round, not only is the setback extremely noticable but the casing size was bigger lengthwise on the faulty round! I was reading about people who have had the same experience I had with CCI Blazer that just squeezing a round with your fingers had caused setback on some rounds...Lesson learned it could happen with any ammo, so from now on Ill stay away from Blazer and hand examine all my rounds. To all others who say CCI is fine- i believe you, hey it was only one round out of 50? Just so happened my first bad round was with Blazer.

19. tango44

tango44

Forget about it it's just a bad round.

20. CynicX

CynicX

Yep...

[​IMG]

That happened as the breach opened. So a flame exited vertically from the gun with me holding it. The bullet just barely cleared the barrel and landed on the floor in front of me.

I really like CCI ammo, esp their MiniMags 22LR and Brass. But I do NOT like the Blazers. Btw this happened to me with my 1911 .45acp, but it has happened to a member on this forum too.