close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Had a bat in my basement last night! What to do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, May 29, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

We in a very old apartment building. We went to basement to do laundry. I flip on the lights, and WHOOSH a HUGE bat flies past my head, circles us a few times, and then disappears into a dark crevice.

I love bats, but it was a bit startling. hat really amazed me was how absolutely SILENT he was, even when flying right past us. Birds' wings make a lot of noise when they fly by you - this guy produced ZERO sound.

I know they're notorious for carrying rabies, so we didn't want to get too close. He didn't seem to fly at us, he was just probably just as startled as we.

I don't know what to do about him. Wife and I love animals, so he doesn't bother us. But some chick living in our building is gonna go down there to do laundry, he'll circle her, and she'll freak! Pest control will be called and he'll be trapped and probably killed.

The basement has no holes or openings in it that I know so I'm not even sure how he got down there.

Should I try to get him out of there?? Will he just live down there??

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  2. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

The bat found a way in When it gets hungry, it will find a way out.

3. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I wait until it's hanging from the ceiling. I then take a pillow case and lift the case so the opening is around the bat. I gently pull the bat from the ceiling and drop it into the case. Just bring it out side and release.

You will need to find the opening it used to get inside, or else it and others will return eventually.

4. Glock30Eric

Glock30Eric .45 ACP

I'll keep the bat.

The bat will clean your flies, bugs, etc in your house. You said the bat is huge and therefore he did his job. Well done!

5. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

I caught one in beach towel. It took a while to catch him.

Once I caught it, I was amazed at how tiny it was when it's wings were folded.

I wasn't scratched or bitten so I didn't worry about the rabies. If I had been, I would have dispatched the bat so it could be tested.

I released the bat outside. Anything that eats bugs and doesn't hurt the dogs or me, is my friend.

6. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

That's what the wife kept saying. Me, I'm not so sure. he may have inadvertantly stumbled through some tiny opening, and now he may not recall where it was.

Animals are always getting trapped in basements and crawlspaces, and I'm hoping that's not the case here.

There are billions of insects for him to eat, and there's occasional water too from condensation on pipes. He can live down there, but another resident likely won't be as bat-friendly as us.

7. jp3975

jp3975

Call Ozzy Osbourne.

8. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Call Ace Ventura. Oh wait...

9. Mark Smeaton

Mark Smeaton

Figure out which room the bat is in, close it off but leave one large window open and turn on all the lights. At night. Try to spook the bat and it should find its way out. May take a while.

10. Rancher

Rancher

When my wife was in residency we had a bat get in our basement. Think it came down the frunace vent. Wife was running on the treadmill and kids were playing when it started flying around. She came and got me. I was outside talking to a neighbor. When we got downstairs with a tennis racket to dispatch it the cats had already gotten it.

Neghbor was a LEO and said we should call health department as they checked them if in close contact with humans or animals. Dang results came back positive for rabies. Then we were told we had to go through the rabies series of shots, all of us including the neighbor. Theory at the time was their saliva could become aerosolized and we could contract the virus which has no cure. Was as if we were not really given a choice.

One of the wifes faculty called the CDC who said the previous year some cavers had contracted the virus with no direct contact with bats so we should go through the rabies series. Homeowners insurance paid for the neighbors and our health insurance paid for ours. Health department would have picked up the tab if we had no insurance I think.

Posted this story once and got crap from a few keyboard commandos who just knew we should have skipped the shots. I could/would not have taken the risk with my family.

Not telling you what to do rather just saying be careful and proably not a good idea to live with a bat in your house. Try and find where it came in and cover it up so it's friends don't join it. It may be sick and that is why it ended up in your basement.

Rancher

11. deputy tom

deputy tom

Two weeks or so ago I had another bat in the house. Third time in fifteen years. I opened the back door, closed off the other doors and shooed him out. Took about three minutes but he left. tom.:cool:

12. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

OMG I didn't know you could catch rabies from the AIR!?

13. Longtooths

Longtooths

Move out and nuke apartment building from orbit....It's the only way to be sure.

14. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Send the neighborhood kids in, with a ball, and a few mits.

See if he wants to play.

:dunno:

15. uscgamecock

uscgamecock

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRR4iYRRBLk"]The Great Outdoors (6/10) Movie CLIP - He's on My Face! (1988) HD - YouTube[/ame]

16. Rancher

Rancher

Pretty sure wifes protocol is if she has a patient who woke up with a bat in their bedroom she starts the rabies series. Not sure if they even wait for it to be tested.

Last year around here an old guy found a bat and thought he made it a pet. Would let it crawl all over him. Paper even had a picture of him with bat on his shoulder. Guess at some point it bit or scratched him. He died a horrible death. All his family that came into contact with the bat had to go through the rabies series.

No more shots in the stomach at least. First shot is gamagobulin (sp?), bit needle and hurts like heck. My kids were I think 3 and 1 at the time.

Rancher

17. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

Get a tennis racket and practice your return is the quickest way to dispatch a trespassing bat.

18. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Garlic, holy water, silver cross, stake.

That should hold you until the professionals arrive.

19. ashecht

ashecht

I dunno, but maybe open carry would have solved this:cool:

20. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?