close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

H&R Model 99 with modified choke for turkeys??

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by riddleofsteel, Nov 10, 2004.

1. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel Pulpa est valeo

I recently got a H&R Model 99 12 gauge single shot shotgun with a modified choke barrel as part of a trade. It is a pretty nice gun. It has a brushed nickle looking finish and nice "hard wood" stock. The gun is in 98% over all condition.
    Here is the question. I have a deer lease that is literally crawling with turkeys. I see the same 2 flocks every time I go in there. They work the creek bottoms and hardwood hill sides all day long for food, consume most of my corn piles and roost in the pines along the access road at night. I have not hunted turkey for 5 or 6 years now and as a result I have no suitable shotgun. My 12 year old son is fascinated with hunting them during this year's winter season.
    Would this gun be suitable for turkey? What loads should I start to test for patterns? If it is I plan to cover it with a roll of cammo tape. I seem to remember modified chokes not being much good beyond 35 yards. This is no problem as we see these birds closer than that several times a day. (That will change when the first few bite the dust I know)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Well there's only way one to really know. You will have to pattern it. Here's a good target to print out and use. Turkey Target

Modified should be fine. You won't get the yardage a full or xtra full would get you so you will need to know the guns limitations. I would guess that you might have the best patterns with #4 shot and you might want to try #4 hevi-shot. It usally groups better then lead especially in a modfied or full choke.

Good luck to you. Fall turkey hunting is a blast!

3. noway

noway

Tscott summed it up good. WE can't tell you whats the best pattern. Try them all out 4/5/6 shot and from various mfg. My 2 choices are the winchester #5&6 buffer shot thru a .672 restriction choke. ( much tighter than your modified ).

At 40yrds one of those Birchwood&Casey parire dog target is pretty much torn up from one shot.;f My gun can easily kill a turkey out to 40-50yrds but I perfer to get them in a little closer and gun them down at 30yrds. So my advice is to test the pattern at the max distance with your combo and then get a little patience and bring dem turkeys in closer and shoot them.