H&R 650 .22/.22 Mag

Discussion in 'The Wheelhouse' started by Cap’n Flamingo, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Cap’n Flamingo

Cap’n Flamingo

A friend of mine bought a new Ruger Single Six convertible and asked me if I had any interest in buying his older single action, as he didn’t need two. I said I’ll have a look, bring it to work.
    The next day he shows up with this. [​IMG][​IMG]

He says give me $100 and I’ll be happy. I couldn’t peel of five Jackson’s fast enough. He was happy as a clam.

I don’t know much about H&R’s ,but from what I gather, it’s a 1979 vintage. I was also a little surprised to find out that it’s a double action.
    The gun is in great shape, and is an accurate little revolver,especially with the .22 Mag. cylinder.
    Anyone else out there have one or know anything about them? Any idea on value?

Gray Dood and NitLion like this.
  2. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

H&R, as the logo indicates, started in 1871. They began by producing inexpensive concealable top break revolvers and top break single shot shotguns. And they made a LOT of those.

They were acquired by NEF (New England Firearms) sometime in the late 1980s, early 90s.

They were known for producing firearms for the "working man " Usually simple designs, moderately priced. But occasionally they'd surprise the shooting public with items like a Trapdoor Springfield replica in the late 1970s, bolt action hunting rifles based on Mauser actions, and others. And they're known as the longest producer of single shot "crack barrel " shotguns in American history under the "Topper" series. Generations of Americans learned to hunt with a Topper (including myself).

They were also capable of producing higher end models and occasionally did so. They were a competitor to S&W and Colt in pre and immediate post war years when target revolvers were popular. I have a 1930s , 2nd series single action Model 199 "Sportsman " that can almost light matches at 30 feet.

20190928_185201.jpg 20190928_185609.jpg

Enjoy the heck out of your "new " 22. It's what they made it for. And for $100 you stole it . You'll probably find the DA pull a bit heavy until you REALLY break it in, but I'll bet it's accurate in SA. I also own an H&R "Sidekick" that is the handgun my Dad taught me to shoot with. Sorry, no pics handy, but like most of their products, while not as finely finished as their premium offerings, it's a hardy little plinker.

(if your conscience bothers you for ripping off your Buddy, I'll give you $125 :) )

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    ChuteTheMall and NitLion like this.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

During the 19th Century they made far more revolvers than Colt did, I haven't seen the production estimates in awhile, but IIRC it was in the millions. These (and competitors like Iver Johnson) were truly the "Guns That Won The West."

They were far more concealable, available, and affordable than the Colt Peacemaker which the Army bought. Since open carry was a lot less common than Hollywood imagined, and widely illegal, pocket revolvers were king. Today we have plastic .380s filling the same role for civilians.

I'll give you $150 so you don't get ripped off.:rofl:

Gray Dood likes this.
  4. ksblazer

ksblazer

My grandfather had a revolver like that. I remembered seeing the letter H & R on the it. It was just a .22lr model. My dad said he had had that revolver, ever since he could remember. It was the only sidearm he ever owned.

When I was about 18 or so I stayed a weekend and we went out and shot it. Ran like a clock too. He passed away about 17yrs ago.

Wish I could acquire that revolver. When he passed. I had heard that my Aunt who was looking after my grandma had it. Grandma just passed this year.

Since grandpa passed. A lot had changed with that side of the family. Doubt I'll ever see it again.

Hope to come across one and add it to my .22 collection. Probably name that revolver Bud after my grandfather.