close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

H&k p2000 lem v2

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by thegriz18, Feb 12, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Okay, H&K guys fire away. I'm thinking about buying one of these in the near future. Pros and Cons. Go for it! Thanks!

2. birddog1

birddog1

I absolutely love mine. I have the same in .40 with night sights. I use it for concealed carry every day. I've gone through several guns for concealed carry, trying to find just the right one, I've had Glocks, a 19 and 23, Sig 229 and 239 and Kimber Ultra Carry's (3 of them). This is the first gun that feels like it was made for me. I think part of that is because of the inter-changeable backstrap. I like the LEM trigger too, just takes some getting used to but it's a sweet shooter. The recoil is minimal as well.

3. robotoid

robotoid

I've been thinking about one of these myself, or the USPc. I'm leaning towards the USPc just because there seems to be more used ones available at reasonable prices, and it can be easily and cheaply converted between LEM and DA/SA, where as the P2K is permanent either LEM or DA/SA.

4. seanarms

seanarms

The only con is LEM takes some getting used to but easily mastered with practice.

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Over a G23 will I get $850 worth of performance gain? Or am I better off sticking with the G23? This is a want gun, not a need gun.

6. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

I paid $750 for my N.I.B. P2000 V2 .40 with night sights and three magazines. I paid $519 for the G23 that I got rid of because it was the most uncomfortable shooting handgun I ever fired. Even if I had paid $850 for the P2000, it would be well worth the $331 difference. I'm an old revolver guy, so the LEM trigger was like shaking hands with a long-lost friend.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  7. up1911fan

up1911fan

HK makes a great pistol and the P2000 is my favorite of the bunch. That may change when I get a chance to play with a HK45c, but the P2000's are great.

8. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

The G23 is comfortable for me to shoot and carry, and I do both well. Would the P2000 give me anything the G23 is lacking? I have no experience with H&K so I can't tell.

The G23 is my favorite pistol.

9. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

In short, probably not.

What the P2000 will give you more backstrap options (4 in total), better (IMO) magazine release, and slightly softer felt recoil (in .40).

However, none of this will matter much if you can't get used to the trigger. I say this only because you seem very committed to the Glock. Your going to have to re-learn the longer length until trigger reset on the LEM compared to the Glock. If you are unwilling to do this, then don't buy a P2000.

10. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I am pretty dedicated to Glock. I keep hearing how wonderful the H&K is and I have resisted it. I am curious. The magazine release seems good to me. I want to try it out, but the price is kind of high. I am attracted to the P2000. The softer recoil might be nice. How does the finish hold up on these pistols?

11. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Any more opinions?

12. hoffy

hoffy

including Glocks and HKs and many others. All my HKs (4) are da/sa, but I am used to that. You do have two trigger pulls to master , but with the LEM it is the same all the time. A lot depends on how much shooting you have done with guns other than Glocks. I grew up on a Colt Python, and shot a lot double action , plus I worked in a gun shop for 6 years and shot any and every used pistol , some a lot, so quriky actions don't bother me. I have a SIG P-239 357 SIG DA only that I love, can hit expert on a standard B-27 at 50 yards plus and my friends hate it because they cannot hit with it. If you go USPc you can change the trigger module. I have a USPc 40 that I use for carry, and a P-2000sk for backup if I feel the need(USP mags will fit) . HKs will always have a higher resale , but be that much harder to sell. Finish wise, they ae tough too. If you could find a way to shoot the various triggers that would be great. SIG has their DAK, which I do not like, long easy pull 1st shot, short stiff 2nd, or other way round, been a while since I shot one. I have shot my SIG 220 extensively for 20 years and that DAK just seems counter intuitive to me, now if I had never shot, that would be another thing.

13. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

The finish holds up rather nicely. You get a little holster wear on the raised edges of the slide, nothing to be concerned with though. My USP's actually don't have any line where the slide rubs across the top of the barrel, whereas all my Glocks do.

14. DeltaBravo

DeltaBravo

There is a tactile sensation that cannot be described in words when you handle an HK. They ooze quality and craftsmanship. They have the tightest most supportive chambers in the business. (The USP series which was the foundation for the design was built around the .40 round). If you have your heart set on a .40 handgun to carry or do whatever else with, you will be hard pressed to find any manufacturer that caters to that round better. Felt recoil reduction really does make a difference. It's not even funny how much more comfortable my USP is to shoot than my G23. Do i like my G23? yes. But I LOVE my HK. I too want a P2000 quite badly for CCW. It might even replace my G23.

15. Unistat

Unistat

I own a G23 and have shot a friend's P2000 (he is a CBP Officer) quite a bit. I have to say that I did not feel any great difference, other than the abnormally long trigger pull and reset. I did not get to try it out with different backstraps though.

One thing I heard from him and other CBP & Border Patrol guys that in a salty (coastal) environment, the firing pin channel can get rust in it. The Officers and Agents in those environments make sure to shoot a blast of drying agent in the channel as part of their regular maintenance.

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Being I just got the same gun two weeks ago and couldn't be happy with it, I say go for it. It doesn't sound like you are selling one to get the other. Personally I really like the full size GLOCKs and shoot one regularly in competition. I never could get used to the compact models. I can actually shoot my P2000SK (sub compact) better than my wife's G23.

Also, while the mag release is different, there are some positive qualities to it. It's a lot harder to accidently release. We went out to the theater one night (seats were tight). When I got home, the mag was not fully seated in the G23.

17. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

What do you mean by couldn't feel a big difference?

18. Unistat

Unistat

I mean that my friend (with the P2000) hates shooting Glocks because they do not "point naturally" for him. I, on the other hand, have never noticed any great difference between his HK and my G23. I was under the impression from all the great reports about HK quality that the his pistol would be like an extension of my arm. Also, I wouldn't say that the HK felt like it was of any higher or lesser quality than a Glock.

I don't have anything negative to say about the P2000. It was a fine shooting pistol, but I like my Glock just as much, maybe a tiny bit more :)

I have to add, I have never noticed that a particular grip geometry or angle is better or worse for me. Glock, 1911, H&K, S&W, or whatever all feel equally comfortable in my hand. Revolvers on the other hand... just pure pleasure to shoot.

19. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

If you happen to be one of those who get off on the Fowtie round you really should get a Steyr M40A1 as well. Wilhelm Bubits once emailed me on that topic :supergrin:

20. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

You know, that's interesting. The finish on my HK's wears very easily, especially on the barrel. I don't particularly care since they have a metal treatment process similar to GLOCK and the outside coating isn't for anything but show.

As far as the magazine release goes. You get used to it. You'll even find your own way to use it. For instance, I've come to using my off hand by just sliding my thumb down on it. I'm faster at this than I am with a gun like a GLOCK with a right-handed only magazine release (I'm a lefty).

Price? Shop around, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a new P2000 for less than $800. The price difference only GLOCKs, M&Ps, XDs, whatever is well worth it.

I really like all of my HKs, and consequently sold all of my GLOCKs.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010