H&K finally selling the classic MP5 in the US

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by B C, Nov 20, 2019.

1. gp23

gp23

Its very cool but way outta my price range.

2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

3. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I just saw a 2018 article saying that HK is facing bankruptcy as new big contracts are failing to materialize for its pricy weapons.

That could be what is driving this release.

But at $2,700 they are still over pricing the market, limiting themselves to civilians who HAVE to have one. As opposed to selling it for $1,300 and picking up a lot of sales from people who would jump in just because.

Their manufacturing can’t be so inefficient that they can’t make money at $1,300.

Hell, if they can’t, release a true civilian UMP. It’s mostly plastic. They’d sell a ton of those too.

But they are continuing their over-pricing strategy, which is what got them into this situation.

4. B C

B C

5. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

The allure is that it's the closest that one (outside of a pre-86DS - which only FFL/SOTs can own) can get to the absolutely iconic MP5. I think that it's extremely easy to understand.

Further, they can be used as sear hosts and to make SBRs.

TheDreadnought, Valmet and Glockdude1 like this.
  6. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

The SP5K is a semi K. The original Ks had just a but plate and not stock and a flush barrel. Not until the PDW did the PDW barrel come out. On the other hand, this is the first and only semi factory HK w/a paddle mag release which is huge. It's also the only factory HK gun ever sold to civilians (i.e., only semi) with a real PDW barrel. A MUST have for me to be sure - just gotta get one before they're illegal here in VA. Wish I had time to wait for the rip-off prices to settle out.

I sure wish I could find a place selling for MSRP. They look to be going for about a grand over on GB. I spoke with HK USA yesterday. The guy there said he thought that the prices were insane. He said a second batch going out to distributors later this month and far more next year. Just gotta get one while I can in VA. UGH.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    Valmet likes this.
  7. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

Absolutely correct. The SP5 still levers in, not double push pin like the MP5s.

Glockdude1 likes this.
  8. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

(Sorry for the multiple posts. Just found this thread. Love it. Had to comment on some posts.)

It's not the trigger group that determines what's a "real" SD. Any MP5 trigger group can be put on any MP5. The FBI has issued MP5s with SA trigger housings. Where we were in London in 2007 I noticed many police with MP5s with SA trigger housings. Of course, in a matter of seconds one could put any other FA or Burst housing on these guns as well.

Valmet likes this.
  9. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

My last post here for now...

My MP5 family....

IMG_20160904_240016251.jpg

I was an FFL/SOT years ago. My few pre-86 DS guns are some of my most treasured guns. These three MP5s are among them. They're all 100% factory original. The K is extremely rare. There are only about 15 factory original pre-86 Ks in the US. Even though they were introduced long before 86 they were not imported until just before the ban.

The SD is one of the Dept of Energy guns. Note the SD can in the upper right. That's a real deal, extremely rare HK/KAC SD Navy can - the exact model as in the HK catalogs of the day. I knew the guys at KAC back then. As a favor they SN the can to my gun - something that they very rarely do. They did the same for my MK23 - also with an extremely rare, real deal HK/KAC "OHG" can - the exact one that the military used.

For those who see the F stock on the MP5A3.... I know that the F did not come out until after 86. The gun is a standard MP5A3. I worked as an Adjunct Instructor at HK ITD, later HK D about 18 years ago. One of the armorers switched out the original parts for new F parts. Other than the right sided front sling attachment on the Fs it's a true F configuration. It's my main shooter. Just THE BEST subguns ever made hands down.

BTW, re: talk of the MP5 10s earlier... When I was at HK they couldn't give the 10s away. They also have two different locking pieces for them - low and high impulse for the downloaded FBI loads and full power loads respectively.

I picked up an SP5K a while back. Once I have an SP5 I'll post some pics of them with their respective FA cousins. I'll also post some pics of them broken down next to each other so that everyone can see the differences between the FA and the SA receivers and trigger housings.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  10. JMS

JMS 02

11. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

12. JMS

JMS 02

You know you want to drum dump ;) I’ll bring the ammo.

13. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I used an MP5 25 years ago. Phenomenal Weapon. An old friend carried one chambered in .40 guarding cabinet members. He wore it under his suit.

glockhoarder likes this.
  14. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I feel 2800 actually pretty decent price.
    They are made in Germany not Pakistan.
    Think I pad 2900 for my ghillebear build but it's a sear host and I had him euro cut the front sight cut and had him weld on a belted precision picatinny rail.
    The genuine hk roller lock parts I've seen most of them have been RB tested so consider that some one is just standing at an Rockwell machine just testing parts for hardness even the rollers are dimpled.
    Buddy had a mp5/40 build that didn't use a hk trunion think it was a todd bailey part the bolt gap dropped out after about 1k . He got a hk trunion and had the gun rebuilt bolt gap hasn't moved any more. And that was probably 9yrs ago. Back when hk orginally designed those guns labor was cheap in Germany and the engineering was and is world class in that system. They didn't really care about labor costs back then today its probably pretty different story. Why you hear about the ump.

15. Bradd D

Bradd D

I'm not a collector and I got my fill of full auto in the military so there is that.

16. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

To Each their own of course. People were asking what's the allure for those that buy them and that's the allure for many. Obviously as with the vast majority of things What 1 person wants may well not be what another does but that is the allure I think for most that by them.

17. glockhoarder

glockhoarder

The most I can ever see these going below MSRP is maybe 1 or 200 bucks lower from some of the bigger dealers next year when supply catches up to demand. Barring a legislative event I absolutely cannot see how these guns will ever be worth less then around MSRP and I think it's highly likely that over time they will substantially increase in value. I would think these would vary substantially tank the 94 and SP89. I think it's a safe bet that these are the closest that civilians are ever gonna come to a factory mp 5 especially with a paddle mag release and the PDW barrel. I think these are extremely safe money for anyone that is remotely intrested in them.

ThomasM4 likes this.
  18. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Oh I agree totally.

glockhoarder likes this.
  19. B C

B C

With 2020 being an election year, they might not even go below MSRP.

Joshhtn likes this.
  20. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I simply like seeing a company “introducing” (or re-introducing) an iconic model. Not some “improved” abomination of an older model. Is it expensive? Sure, it’s an HK, but it’s nice to have options.

glockhoarder likes this.