H&K finally selling the classic MP5 in the US

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by B C, Nov 20, 2019.

1. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

I was issued a real deal, fully automatic, MP5 for the three years I spent doing entry team duty on a drug task force. It was a cool gun, but not nearly as useful as the Colt Commando SBR's that most of the other guys carried.

I am not a big fan of 9mm to begin with, and as a cartridge for a long gun I find it entirely inadequate. The MP5 is loved because of the movies it has appeared in. I am convinced that if the MP5 were as readily available in select fire/SBR configuration as a Ruger 10/22, they wouldn't be able to sell them for more than a couple hundred dollars per copy.

Is it a cool gun? Yes. Are there a lot of guns out there that are less expensive, more powerful, and more useful? Yep.

2. banger

banger

Not EXACTLY correct on semi auto L.E use....

If my memory has not completely failed.... The Bureau bought MP-5's along with some Semi-auto trigger packs for daily use. F/A packs for those situations requiring more firepower.

3. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

after a million different clones availible for a long time now.

4. B C

B C

Right now Dakota, PTR, Zenith, and POF are making them. PSA's is on the way sometime next year. The owner said it won't be in 2019.

5. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

It’s cool but makes no sense as a semi-Auto PCC for $2300.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

It still doesn't even have a good optic mounting solution. It is an outdated platform that wouldn't sell at all if it hadn't been in 10,000 movies.

7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Folks still buy PTR-91s, M1As, retro ARs, etc even though there are better/more contemporary designs these days.

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Those are outdated designs too.
    People are nostalgic for many outdated things. I just saw a 1978 Firebird being restored at considerable expense. Those were trash when they were new. I'd rather buy a better, modern car for less.

alwaysshootin and DaveJ like this.
  9. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

My point is that even though a design may be somewhat outdated, it can still be a commercial success...and HK still successfully markets MP5s, regardless of what you choose to buy.

10. CAcop

CAcop

Honestly the sights are the best iron sights I have used in a long gun. The ring and ring with post sight picture is super clear and fast. I like the subgun version of them because they weren't distance marked, just different sizes. You basically could pick your favorite. I liked having it on the 3rd biggest aperture because it was the fastest without being too big. If I wanted more accuracy I would take it down a notch. The smallest didn't work for me. I think because I shot it in the HK approved stance which was squared off vs old school bladed. I could see the bladed stance putting the rear sight close enough to make the smallest aperture work.

We had ours in 10mm and those had a bolt hold open. The 9mm ones just went click and you had to lock the bolt back yourself.

Overall they were very handy and easy to use in close quarters. Even shorty AR rifles seem a little big compared to them. And in my opinion if you go much shorter than 14.5 in an AR you really need to start asking why are you willing accept less lethality or having to be more selective with ammo. By the time you get to under 10 inches in an AR you really need to be thinking if 9mm is going to work better.

The MP5K variant is even better just because it is smaller and you don't lose much by going with a shorter barrel even if it is getting close to standard pistol length.

11. jstrange

jstrange

For around $500 or maybe $600, I could understand it plenty. For four times that, no chance in hell.

12. CAcop

CAcop

Our MP5s were in 10mm and semi auto only. I've fired the full auto 9mm ones a few times before AR15s took over. You really don't miss much going full auto except at super close ranges or if providing cover fire. LE generally does not do cover fire. I have heard of it once in Fresno county when they were doing an officer rescue on a ambush during a warrant service. Handguns and pump shotguns saved the day.

Full auto outside of close range is just like cranking off a shotgun round. Sooner or later you are going to lose a round off of your target. Kyle Lamb has his 2x2x2 drill up on YouTube. You should really see what training will do for you even with semi only.

13. CAcop

CAcop

They had them in 10mm like ours. They were not as soft shooting as the 9mm ones. Full auto in 10mm would have been a chore. The 10mm had two bolts, high and low impulse. Low for the .40 like 10mm rounds. High for the legit 10mm. The difference was pretty significant. The Silvertips we last used cracked like lightning. Out of the longer barrel they were close to 1400 fps with a 175 projectile. Odds are at that velocity it would probably start fragmenting give the state of bullet design at that time.

14. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

How much are the mags?

15. seang23or32

seang23or32

I think this just changed my purchase plans for 2020. I did not like the looks of the SP5K but I am all over this.

16. B C

B C

$67 for German made HK mags
    $35 for Korean mags
    $30 for ETS mags

17. DrewBone

DrewBone

Back in '89 I did an even trade with a Marine out of Cherry Point, NC; my HK91 for his SP89, after he got tired of using his triggerpack in the pipsqueek 9mm. It was in great shape, as was my '91 which I'd only had $699 into, so I thought that was a good deal. Just before I moved back to NY I handed the SP89 over to my Dad who was an FFL and asked him if he'd sell it for me down there, and it sold about 9 months later for $2,300, and I used those funds to help finance my new kitchen remodel.

I'd heard that there were only 15,000 or so SP89's imported into the US.

These days I'm no longer a fan of large format pistol caliber pistols such as the SP89, nor do I have any interest in the latest and greatest offerings such as the B&T APC9/45, the CZ Scorpion, the Grand Power Stribog, etc., finding much more interest in rifle caliber pistols. 'No biggie, as we all have our reasons for what we like to spend our money on, and they're all good ;)

I thought my SP89 was undoubtedly a cool firearm at the time, though it's purpose as a semi-auto was more to appease collectors here in the 'States who wanted as close as they could get to what they couldn't afford or legally own in their state of residence (the MP5K), in the same fashion that those who purchase a semi Ma Deuce or semi 1919 do. The latter of course isn't a bad thing, but as a semi 1919 (7.62x51 Isreali) owner, pulling the trigger on these types of firearms does get old rather quickly. But I still hold onto the 1919 as I do my Freedom Arms FM-9 and original Ares Shrike beltfed uppers, in appreciation of the technology of their mechanics and for their uniqueness and quality of workmanship, fit, and finish.

If you think that the value of your SP89 might go down now, it doesn't matter much if you never plan on selling it. Regardless, the originals will always have their place in collectability, and they certainly won't be rendered any less capable due to the emergence of modern copies or re-releases.

FullClip likes this.
  18. ScarFace88

ScarFace88 NOT MOD APPROVED

A large number of British police forces issued the MP5SF (what HK called the semi auto only MP5) to their armed response teams.

19. uzimon

uzimon Daca is caca

+1

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I have 2 Omega MP5 pistols. Full size & K. Both came with the threaded/3 lug barrels, paddle mag releases, and full auto carriers, right out of the box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A very good friend of mine owns 2 HK auto sears. One is set up in a SEF trigger pack. The other is a 4 position pack (Safe, Semi, 3rd Burst, & Full)

Both of mine run great with the sear packs!! I need more 9mm Nato!!

:cool:

Eshooter likes this.