H&F Yo-Yo of the Year

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, May 6, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD

Well, I am trying to claim the title of H&F Yo-yo of the year, so I changed workout routines again.

With the hectic pace around here, I couldn't get to the gym for my DLs, so I canned those after about 2.5 weeks. They were going well and I expect to revisit them at some point.

I'd been doing lots of shoulder mobility drills for a while and my right shoulder seems to be back to normal. After 5 dang months, I'd hope so! I did 3 upper body pulling and pushing workouts and it didn't start acting up like it had in past tries.

From there, I decided to start the RE's Never Gymless 50 day sample program to see how it would go. I'm halfway through the 3rd 5-day block out of 10 at this point and all is going well.

I really like the program. It's very CrossFit-like except requires almost no equipment. The ideas are very similar. NG also places less (or no) emphasis on some of the harder-to-learn movements like the olympic lifts and kipping pullups. There's more jumping and sprinting with NG also. It also has more apparent structure than CF, which I like at the moment anyway. I haven't found myself working the same beat-up muscles day in, day out.

After I'm done with the 50 day program, I'll decide where to go from there. Maybe start working DLs. Maybe take another look at CF. Maybe turn into a couch potato.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

That sounds like a good program Brad. I think I might like that better than X-fit. I like the jumping and sprinting stuff. Could you post a typical week on that program?

3. DBradD

DBradD

The sample program is a series of 5 day blocks of the following 4 days + 1 rest day:

1. ICT (Integrated Circuit Training): CF-like circuit of calisthenics, like max rounds in 20 min., etc.)

2. Max Strength: strength-oriented calisthenics like pistols, one-arm pushups, weighted pullups, etc.) The exact exercises are left to the individual because folks are capable of different things. Some can't do pistols for example. Just make these up and do whatever the individual wants to do, although he gives some guidance, such as number of sets and how to pair-off exercises.

3. EIT (Enhanced Interval Training): more CF-like metcon, but usually has things like sprinting, backward sprinting, bear crawling, etc. mixed in there.

4. Explosive Strength: explosiveness-oriented calisthenics like squat jumps, clapping pullups, clapping pushups, etc. Again, no exact workout is given because folks can do different things. Just do what one's ready for.

The first block looked like:
    Day 1 = 4 rounds of Burpees, Pullups, Squats, and Pushups. Round 1, do max number in 60 sec. Round 2 do max number in 45 sec. Round 3 do max number in 30 sec. and Round 4 do max number in 15 sec. 10 minutes total. Fairly hard workout.

Day 2 for me was
    Towel Pullups
    Pistols (my best attempts anyway)
    Pushups on bars to reduce the number by adding ROM
    Funky Hamstring exercise I created.
    4 sets of each, stopping 1-2 reps short of failure

Day 3 (26:10 of pure hell--sore for days afterward)
    4 rounds for time of
    12 burpees
    24 pushups
    36 squats
    400m run

Day 4:
    Squat jumps
    Pullups (trying to get some air at the top--micro-air for me, LOL)
    Clapping Pushups
    Ankle Hops (think vertical leaps without bending the knees much)

Of course the conditioning days get harder as the weeks past. One of them is 100 burpees followed by tabata pushups and tabata squats, for example. That's about 20-25 min. of hades if I ever saw it.

The strength workouts will get more fun, longer, and more difficult as I gain confidence in my shoulder. The idea is to progress to the point of doing weighted pistols, one-arm pullups, one-arm pushups, etc. I'm just not ready for any of those yet.

It's also possible to have bigger strength workouts by doing lower body one day and upper body the other, either mixing up max strength & explosiveness or just doing one or the other. He emphasizes that training should be specific to the goals of the individual. Strength day can even focus on strength endurance if one wants to go that route. For example, if, for whatever reason, I dream of doing 200 pushups, 50 pullups, and 500 squats, I can design strength days toward those goals if I choose.

There's more than one sample program. The one I'm following is the basic one. I think one could become a brute with all those one-arm pushups, etc., adding weight vests, etc.

4. California Jack

WOW! Sounds like good stuff. Thanks for posting it Brad. Keep us updated on your progress.

5. DBradD

DBradD

Or lack of progress, LOL.

Son and I just finished the deck of cards workout. Shuffle a deck of cards and start at the top. Red card = number of burpees. Black card = number of pushups. I called it quits after 30 min. and about 40 cards. I learned something about scaling from doing CF, LOL.

Boy is still hanging in there. He loves conditioning workouts. Being 10, he's full of energy, but lacking in strength.

Edit: Uhhh, no wonder I was wore out. I counted up the cards I actually made it through and had done 132 burpees and 159 pushups in 30 min. That's a heck of a lot of energy output for me!

6. DBradD

DBradD

Still hanging in there, middle of block 4 of 10. Shoulder's doing fine. Cramped a hamstring/groin doing lunges last night. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

Boy's pushups are looking better. He loves burpees--what a sick individual. The other day he did 100 in about 13 minutes. That's not too far off my PR of about 11 minutes. He'll surely pass me at some point, but I will go down fighting!

Check out my homemade medicine ball. That's 25 solid pounds of med ball slamming mass! I used a small roll of duct tape on the first try and it ruptured after about 20 slams, sending sand everywhere. Then I put an entire roll of duck brand tape across the cuts and then yet another entire roll around it at random. Now I think it could withstand a nukular blast. Total cost = $3 for ball + $3 for sand + $3 for tape + $7 for more tape = $16. I like it better than the pro ones because it doesn't bounce--safer for the fingers (and face, LOL).

Added an ab wheel also. I think that must be the most under-utilized piece of cheap equipment out there. I can't believe RE does that one-handed from his feet.

7. California Jack

Cool medicine ball Brad. Goodluck witht the ab wheel. You'll be hardcore in no time.

8. DBradD

DBradD

"Hardcore" LOL. That's a great pun for the topic at hand!

Maybe someday I'll be on youtube doing burpees topped off with straight bar muscle-ups--with a 100 lb weighted vest.

9. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Cool med ball Brad!

I'll join you in the yo-yo club.

I've been doing so much research on powerlifting and watching Westside dvds that every week I change my routine and add or delete something.

Damn diet is the same. I wanted to drop a few pounds off my midsection so I cut back on fat and carbs a little. I'll do that for a few days and then remember I'm PLing now, so I need more calories. Then I'll eat more for a few days and remember I'm trying to loose a little and repeat the vicious cycle over and over.

I think I finally got a handle on both though........well, atleast for a day or two!;)

10. DBradD

DBradD

LOL. I know what you mean about diet. Some days, I think it would be cool to lose that last little bit of fat around my mid-section. Then I do a conditioning workout and really want to recover for next time, so I eat a lot. I guess it's normal, but I seem to recover much faster when I eat a few hundred calories more every day. No clue how a lot of CFers do what they do. I think a lot of those guys lean waaaaay out while on a calorie deprived Zone diet and keep up with the WOD. I think I'd just grind myself down to the point that I wasn't recovering if I did that.

11. DBradD

DBradD

Jack, you'd probably like this one.

Today was EIT4, max rounds in 15 min. of 50 yard sprint, 25 yard bear crawl, and 25 yard crab walk.

I hadn't done bear crawls and crab walks since football when I was 17. Talk about an arm and shoulder workout! Now I know why crabs spend their time in the water. 25 yards is a LONG way crab walking.

I kept fearing that I would step on an uneven clump of grass or whatever and turn over an ankle, so didn't sprint all out. Next time, I'm going to sprint on the track, then do the other two on the grass beside the track.

I started thinking on the way home that top speed seems to be an ignored dimension in CF, but perhaps I'm wrong. After all, the WOD is supposedly only the starting point. Sprints come up in NG, but not that often. 400m running is more common. Top speed is about as functional of an attribute as I can imagine, especially if one is being chased by a group of bad guys carrying pipes.

12. California Jack

Funny you should mention this. I'm about to go do 8x50 yd sprints with my son.

13. DBradD

DBradD

Sounds like fun. Do you have a specific sprinting program? I might work in a few more next go-round.

I just thought of something funny. Today, I did my crab walking, etc. workout on an empty soccer field. On the hill about 50 yards away were several cows. I swear, it seemed like two or three of them were staring at me. The thoughts that come up during extreme fatigue! :rofl: I kept thinking that the cows probably figured they were watching a human get--Mad Human Disease.

I took the boy to do his workout this evening. He enjoyed it, but gave up after 3 rounds in 8 minutes. That's a tough workout, especially with a lack of upper body strength.

14. California Jack

Nah, no specific routine. My son is a soccer nut. He is also a Gameboy nut. He doesn't get much exercise outside of soccer. So to get him a little exercise in preparation for soccer we sprint on Sundays. Dayum kid is fast. He has been in 2 relatively big track meets and has not lost a 55m race (prelim or final). He is only a step or 2 slowerr than his old man.

As a side, my older son has never had an interest in any sport or physical activity. This week he has put in 3 workouts on my C2. I'm pretty proud and excited. I'll have to be careful that I am encouraging and not pushy. Any advice on that one?

Jack

15. DBradD

DBradD

How old is he? I don't know a lot about this kind of thing either. I can just type about what I try to do, failing sometimes of course.

I just try to keep it very positive, tell him how he's doing types of workouts that other kids his age aren't doing, etc. I know that appeals to him, so I use it.

If he doesn't feel like working out, I just go alone and don't say a thing about it. If he wants to give up, like today when he had enough after 3 rounds and 8 min. of a max rounds in 15 min. workout, I just keep it positive. If I can eek another round out of him using encouragement, I do.

Otherwise, no clue. You have 2 kids, so probably know more about the psychology than I do.

16. DBradD

DBradD

Wow, I can't relate to that! I was a sprinter in HS and only won one race the entire time, LOL.

The races weren't short enough for me. I was usually ahead after 40-50m, but the other guys had a higher gear. I think I ran 11.6 in the 100m, which is barely scratching the surface of respectable--a pattern in my athetic life!

17. California Jack

The older son on the C2 is almost 13. It's tough, we just don't get each other. Don't get me wrong, we love each other and I consider him one of my best friends, it's just that we are 2 completely different people. I'm just glad he is making an effort. I hope it's an effort because he wants to be healthier and active, not something to try to please me and to attempt to get us a common ground. Heck, I dunno.

Yeah, my younger son has been in 2 OKC Metro area Parochial school meets. I think there are about 14 schools involved. He's one of those with a higher gear. He is always last off the starting line and doesn't pass anyone til about the 25m mark.

I wish I could get him more into T&F than soccer.

11.6 is faster than I could have ever done, I'll tell you that.

Jack

18. DBradD

DBradD

Wow, that's a tough one. All I know to do is be positive and just don't give any indication of disappointment if he gives up.

One of my buddies in HS was totally uninterested in athletics until 10th Grade. Something just turned on at some point and he turned into a beast by the time we graduated, DLing 560 at about 185 when he was about 20.

I don't have a good track record with this kind of thing, so far 0/1. Our son was a chess whiz from Day 1 and we tried really hard to not push him, but I think we still did. He eventually got sick of it and quit after about a year.

Wow, you might have one of the next sub 10 sec. 100m guys! There's not a lot of time for high gear in 55m, so he'd probably really maul them at 100m or 200m.

That's not a bad time overall, but it sure feels slow when some other guys are getting 10.8 or faster!

Ironically, I got much faster my senior year after our track coach quit. He was a distance runner, so made all of us do at least 2 days/week of 3 miles or longer. His idea of speedwork was 2x800,4x400,6x300,8x200,10x100 after a mile warmup. I think this just wore me out and made me slow.

After he quit, we had no coach and I never ran anything over 400m, and even that was rare! I did 200m or less and did quite a few 50-100m hill sprints (real sprints with plenty of rest, not conditioning workouts). I think I went from about 12.2 to 11.6.

Duh--train like a sprinter and get faster. It's not rocket science.

19. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Brad,

I am with you on the yo-yo'ing... I started the year with fairly strict CF as rx'd, adding in 5x5 sessions on days 1 and 3 for added strength progression. I finished 8 weeks out of a planned 10. I was just bushed trying to keep that schedule, even with taking a break and just doing CF at week 5.

Then I bought RE's Infinite Intensity and had planned on doing the 50 day program. While on a 1 month hiatus from a work-out "plan" (other than just following CF for a while), I decided to make up a plan to do ME Black Box stuff, mixing in conditioning as well. At the same time, I mentioned to a friend that I wanted to increase my vertical jump, and he told me about Air Alert (a program to improve vertical jumps). He used it for his volleyball days. He's 5'8", and went from a 37" vertical to 40"). He's a human rubberband, but that's another story.

So, I am just starting today a 10-week program of:

Mon: ME Black Box
    Tue: Metcon (one of the CF girls)
    Wed: ME Black Box
    Thu: Rest and light yoga for flexibility
    Fri: Air Alert
    Sat: Track day (mix of metcon and strength, I suppose - ala Ross' programs)
    Sun: Rest

I like your Day 3 and I might have to borrow that for one of my Sat workouts.

After this periodization, I might be ready for the 50-day II program, although I may have to get NG now that I've seen your regimen.

20. BCR

BCR BIGASS!!!!

Well, atleast we're all consistent.......we can't make up our minds.:supergrin: