close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gym Carrying and Issues

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Hendricks433, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

I just got my CPL yesterday and today is my first day of carrying. One issue Im seeing is I go to the gym 3 days a week. How do you guys carry at the gym and what about getting dressed and undressed. The gym I go to is extremely busy and typically there are 3-6 guys around you and many walking by while getting dressed.

My first thought is transferring my gun to a planner type holster like a Uncle Mikes Notebook holster in my car, I use a notepad while working out to track my progress of weights, is it going to be an issue opening this to write down my numbers? Then once I get in my car I can transfer back to IWB(Im actually not going to carry IWB while driving so the gun will be elsewhere in my car while driving)

2. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have always changed at home, not at the gym. I realize scheduling conflicts, logistics, etc may dictate otherwise in some cases, though.

I used to carry a snub nose revolver (S&W 642) in a smartcarry (www.smartcarry.com). For a short time I even kept it holstered and in my gym bag right next to me but decided against that due to the chance...however small...that somehow at sometime I could slip up and somebody else could gain control of the bag. Plus it's a PITA to take the bag with you even if all you are doing is going to the bathroom between sets.

Currently I lift weights 3x a week and simply do not carry. I have a can of Fox Labs OC in my gym bag, which goes with me.

As to opening your notebook, well, I don't see how we can answer that for you since we havn't so much as seen said notebook. If you go that route you will at least want, IMO, something with a separate compartment for the gun that is kept closed off from everything else.

3. xbuceye

xbuceye

I'd just stuff it down the front of my spandex shorts!!!!:wow::wow::wow: I'm thinking though that if I felt that I couldn't go that 1 hour at the gym without packing my gun that maybe I need to find a new gym.

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

So where did you buy your crystal ball?

In all seriousness there is no way to know when or where you may need a firearm. Do I have to dig up the article of the guy in TN some time ago that justifiably shot another man in self defense with a .22lr revolver that he was carrying while working out?

5. Skid_on_Roadkill

Skid_on_Roadkill

When going to the gym,I suggest a J frame .38 in the pocket of BDU cut-offs.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I don't know if its cuz its close to New Years, or what.. but this has been coming up a lot. There's like 6 threads in the last few weeks on this. First question, why are you not carrying while driving?

Beyond that, My personal opinion, no way does my weapon stay in the car, or locked in a locker. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138514

xbuceye, that's terrible Logic. It's no different than liberals saying "Why do you need a gun at.... just call the police". Crazy people go to Gyms to... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/04/bridgeville-gym-shooting-_n_251411.html

So you really have two options:
    1. Some sort of off body carry(gym bag).. I also consider this totally unacceptable.

2. Finding on body carry that will work. Personally, I've found the fanny pack the best option in this case. If you pay attention to the gun you're choosing to carry, the fanny pack doesn't look out of place at all. There's a lot of options out there, but I like Tommy's Gun Pack.

IGF

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Some gyms have very strict rules on attire. IIRC, my membership agreement specifically says no cutoffs. Now is it enforced? I don't know, but I never see people in cutoffs.

IGF

8. Just1More

Just1More

No carry at the gym. I'll take my chances.

9. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

I keep a workout bag in my car and typically go from work or other activities. I do not want the gun actually on me, I would have trouble doing my work outs for sure. Squats would not work with a smart carry unfortunately.

10. FAS1

FAS1

I don't work out at the gym but I do exercise and run with my P3AT in a bellyband low at waist level. The gun is at my waistline just in front of my right hip bone. No one notices and it doesn't get in my way at all. I think it needs to be a small gun in this situation.
    Since you are using a notebook I think there are some dayplanners out there with a hiddden compartment for a gun if you prefer.

11. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

I carried into my "OLD" gym, wearing the pistol and gun. When I got to my locker I'd look around, stick my strong-side into the locker and remove my gun/holster. I'd close the door and lock my locker before anyone noticed. Once day I came back to my locker and a bunch of locks were missing, including mine. Locks weren't the only thing missing, my Smith & Wesson M&P9c, CTAC holster and Crimson Trace grip was also missing. Filed a police report, got about $725 in NRA and State Farm insurance money to replace everything but the Crimson Trace. The (long) original thread can be found here: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138514

Edit: Looks like IGF linked to my original thread. :)

Fast forward to today....I now go to a MUCH, MUCH more upscale gym. One with electronically-locked lockers (you set your own pass code), locker room attendants, the works. My locker is right next to the local news anchorman, pretty nice and safe place. Today I do not carry into the gym on my side but in my gym bag. I have a nice pocket on the very end that holds my holster, gun and spare mag perfectly. When I leave I do not arm myself right away, I wait until I reach my next destination.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  12. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

Don't lock it in the gym locker......
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138514

I wouldn't lock it in your car because a lot of thefts happen in gym parking lots. My sugestion is to use a gym bag and carry it with you while you work out. Here are some of the Gym threads below if you want to read some other opinions.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1188569
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179866
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922657
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892536

Edit: Ah, you beat me to it Getwild2, and just saw IGF linked to it too. It is a horrible story, but a good leason to anyone thinking of locking a gun in a gym locker.

13. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

+1, the cop that took my report said gym parking lots are one of the biggest targets for thieves due to women leaving their purses in their cars, business people leaving their laptops, guns, etc.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yup.

The way I do it now is to change clothes at home and put all my important gear in a cheap gym bag (belt, shoes, training log, chalk, water, supplements, driver license, insurance card, cell phone, pepper spray, keys, microweigths, etc) and keep the bag with me as I go through my routine.

I have a Glock locked up in a safe in the car.

Unsecured in a car or in a gym locker = places I do not want anything sensitive or valuable.

15. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

Especially a loaded weapon. I have no intentions of leaving it in my car or in my locker. I will find a way to carry on my person. I ordered the Uncle Mikes Notebook Holster and will give that a try. If it doesnt work, Ill try something else.

16. operator81

operator81

The only time I don't carry is at the gym or while jogging. Too much of a PITA. I just take my guardian angel with me instead :treadmill:

17. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

I think I may have found a better option, they have those light bags with a string that a lot of soccer players and basketball plays always have on them. I could just put it in there with a spare towel. That way I dont have a big bag that looks wierd and its always attached to me except during sets.

18. High Altitude

High Altitude

This is what I have been using lately. I carry it from station to station. I do not wear it.

Inside is:
    gun
    keys
    wallet
    cell phone

Any type of off body carry that blends in is good to go with me at the gym.

I have never been asked what is in it but if someone did I would just say, keys, wallet, cell etc.... I don't have a lock and don't want my stuff stolen.

19. Poor Knight

Poor Knight

I transfer it to my gym bag and put it in the locker unless I am going for a run, in which case I use Smartcarry

20. inkked4life

inkked4life

The small gym bag is a good idea. As for going to the bathroom, just go to the bathroom before you start. If you are doing cardio, then weights, just go between, and then bringing your bag along wont be noticeable. Unless you look out of place (crazy clothes, abnormal routines, super hot girl, etc.) then most people will barely notice you or the fact that you have a gym bag with you.