close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gym Carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gromet412, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Gromet412

Gromet412

I recently started hittint he gym again and I havn't been bringin my pistol, but what do u guys do when goin to the gym?

-unload and secure in vehicle
    -unload and secure in locker
    -leave at home and dont carry
    -loaded locked in locker
    -loaded locked in car

2. viniglock

viniglock

None of the above!

Welcome to the forum!

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's been a lot of threads on this, and a lot of different opinion. I will say, all of the above is a HORRID idea. Gyms are safe havens for thieves, because they know you will be occupied for a while(Search here in Carry issues for the GT'er that had his gun stolen out of a gym locker late last year).. Edit: Added link

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138514

I use a fanny pack. Since I wear sweats w/o pockets, I just put my gun, wallet, keys, zune in the fanny pack, and most folks are none the wiser. Keep it just loose enough, where if you need to lay on your belly, you can turn it to the side. They don't have a ton of pocket space. When I had a larger Ipod, I'd usually just wear a pocket T and put my Ipod in the pocket of the T... or there's always those armband holders. It holds my wallet, keys and gun fine though.

http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1

What gun would you consider carrying into the gym?

IGF

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. Gromet412

Gromet412

I usually carry a G19 in a IWB or an LCP in a nemisis pocket holster
    I usually hit the gym right B4 work - I do have a safe at work I can stash the gun B4 hand if need but Id rather not do that unless necessary.

5. jpa

jpa CLM

Fanny pack. I never leave the gun unattended at the gym. I always feel bad when I walk into the locker room after a couple days off and see a couple lockers with the ring cut open or the door bent out of shape like it was pried open. You can also see the broken car glass on the ground in the parking lot. Mine is either in my fanny pack or gym bag if I decide to carry one. I don't leave anything in the locker anymore.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, only you can make that decision... I carry everywhere, so I figured out something that worked for me at the gym, YMMV. I don't think an LCP would stay in the pocket of most gym shorts/sweats very well...

IGF

7. sapper1911

sapper1911

I lock it in the locker, however in my gym there are lockers in the main area that can be seen from everywhere. Usualy i'm the only one with a lock on my locker.

8. Yellowfin

Yellowfin

Seecamp, Kel Tec, or PPK seems to be the way to go.

9. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

Get a fanny pack and a light pocket gun like a Sig P238 or Ruger LCP. No reason to leave it at home. Find a way.

10. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Kel-Tec in an ankle holster.

I wear shorts to the guy.

No problems getting the equipment I want without a wait.

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl: I'm not familiar w/ KS law and open carry, etc.. but if Open Carry is not allowed, seems that could be a violation of your permit...

Unfortunately some gyms have no weapons clauses in their memberships. Actually, I think most of them do. The ones that don't, you can bet they probably will after the nut last year. To the people who actually take responsibility for themselves, the nutcase last year reinforced our decision to carry at the gym.

I agree w/ Glock30 Guy... No reason at all to leave it home, and plenty of reasons to take it, find a way. I honestly don't think this requires a new gun. I'm not particularly fond of the small .32/.380's.... but that would be better than nothing. The OP has an LCP, so he should be able to figure something out.

IGF

12. chief

chief

I don't go to a gym - but to answer your question - belly band.

13. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

I rather work out at home than have to worry about this scenario. But for you my opinion would be either a fanny pack, or a small gym bag you carry with you while you work out.

A fanny pack may sound gay, but the gym is about the only place you could get away with it and not look gay.

A small gym bag would be my choice, it'd fit my LCP, wallet, keys, and a small towel to wipe off the equipment before and after using.

14. Ironbar

Ironbar

I go to the locker room. Dress down. Put all my non-valuables in the locker then lock it. In my gym bag I have all items needed for workout, and my cell phone, headset, iPod, and gun. I never let the bag out of my sight the entire time I am in the gym. Even in the spa or shower, it's always within reach.

That's what I do.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Isn't that why you go to the gym to avoid this set up?:tongueout:

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

If you feel you need a gun at the gym, find another one. I know it is always a good idea to carry cause you never know when you might need it, but honestly I would leave it at home or locked it the car. The locker room idea is a very bad one.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

"IF you feel you need a gun, find another one" sounds like Liberal logic... blame the person who wants to be prepared, rather than the fact they've accepted there are crazy people out there.

The car is even worse than the locker. Cars are broken into quite frequently on gym parking lots.. probably more so than lockers.

Your logic is very flawed. The LA Fitness that the quack went into last year, was considered a "nice, quiet area"... and has a low crime rate. If you want to base carrying on probability, well, statistics show you'll "probably" never need your weapon in your life. Most carry because of what "could" happen...

IGF

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  18. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

KS law does not forbid open carry. Some localities have or have put restrictions on it. Where I live it is unregulated.

19. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Which one would that be? Which one would I not need a gun at?

20. liljojo4711

liljojo4711