Guy's what the difference in these titles?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by G-man, Jan 21, 2010.

1. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

Around here our local city PD has several titles for specialized positions but IMO I can't figure out what they mean...

The one guy I know used to be a vice detective but got promoted to Police Inspector??

One guy is an investigator and the other is titled detective? Aren't they the same?

What's the difference?

G-man
    1*

2. Gangrel

Gangrel

Shot in the dark... but it could be like patrolman and sergeant, but they have special titles for being in the CID section.

We only have two (non rank) titles here, "Officer" or "Investigator."

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Maybe it is a supervisinng detective position?
    Or he only investigates certain crimes?

4. RMolina628

RMolina628 got a job!

Around here Inspectors are supervision of a specific task force.

5. unit 900

unit 900

Rank structure is so localized, it's impossible to make any generalizations. In the Dirty Harry movies (and in real life SFPD) his title is Inspector. He is a detective, but bears that title. NYPD has Inspectors that are at the Colonel level and wear that eagle. No way to compare titles across different agencies

6. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

On my old department we had investigators and detectives. An investigator was a police officer training to be a detective, or detective trainee. Detective is a permanent civil service rank and has three grades. If you screwed up big time as a investigator you could be sent back to uniform patrol, not so with a detective.
    We used to have the rank of Inspector, prior to 1970, but that was changed to Commander. Sargent was for uniform duty 98% of the time.
    Very confusing but most of the city agencies in the county had about the same ranking system, Now the Sheriff's Department is a whole different animal!

7. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

At my department the title Investigator is for our crime scene investigators.

8. G-man

G-man Millennium Member

Well I talked to him today (Inspector) and he is in fact the head of the vice unit there.

The other guy I know used to be a detective for the city PD and was retired there as such and is now the Investigator of the nearby smaller PD, he is their only such "detective" so to speak to investigate crimes.

Thanks,

G-man
    1*

9. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Vice detective, assistant detective, deputy detective... it's only a title. Or perhaps they meant "vice" like they use in a machine shop. Or he/she investigates "vice" crimes, such as gambling, after-hours clubs, etc... An Inspector is, I guess, a civil service rank. I believe generally that on the West coast, Inspectors are akin to "detectives/investigators", while on the East coast, Inspectors are of much higher rank. In England, Inspectors are like Lieutenants, and then comes Chief Inspectors, Superintendents, etc...

Where I'm from, a detective is a civil service title reserved only for sworn LEO (gun & badge), while an investigator can be a civilian who does or assists with investigations, such as background investigations or obtaining documentary records, etc...

10. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

It depends on where you go.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Martin Riggs was a detective sergeant who was promoted to captain based on chief's prerogative. Ed Exley was a patrol sergeant who was made detective lieutenant (actually D3) in exchange for some testimony against other officers in the "Bloody Christmas" episode.

As for inspectors, SFPD (Dirty Harry) calls their detectives that, not a rank. Our investigators are civilian contractors who do backgrounds. The only inspectors I know of are either Hong Kong Police (their detectives) or the guy who reads my electricity meter and makes me pay through the nose.

12. Aquanewt

Aquanewt

There's always Inspector Gadget!

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Inspector Closeau can kick Gadget's ***.

14. zoff12

zoff12 Millennium Member

I asked an old Investigator that once. He said that... in Virginia... traditionally... Investigators were from Sheriff's Departments and Detectives were from PD's. That is no longer the case and it's Admin's decision. I am titled Investigator but sometimes called Detective by my Chief.

15. madcitycop

madcitycop

Our Investigators are our CSI guys and our detectives are the traditional detective.