Guy's a Cop-wanna-be, or is it racial??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RottnJP, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

2. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

3. Altaris

Altaris

Someone in immediate danger...he did the right thing. Good job!

4. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

I pray that, if faced with the same situation, I have the courage to act as he did.

5. ordersman

ordersman Still Reloading

6. Birddog9

Birddog9 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wait inside huh....all bets are off when it comes to women and children. Glad he was there at the right place, right time, with the right mindset.

7. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

Not so good at picking up on irony, are you?

Let me spell it out for you...

I think most of us will agree the guy did the right thing by getting involved, he did a great job, and people are calling him a hero.

OTOH, there have been one or two threads on a little Florida news story in which a lot of people have piled on, knowing there was a negative outcome, saying that people who get involved and look out for their neighbors are cop wanna-be's, and ascribing racial motives due to the specifics of that case.

(For those who haven't seen the linked story, a black guy noticed a white child molester doing what child molesters do, intervened to stop it, and held the guy for police.)

There are also a number of people on GT who relentlessly advocate not giving a damn about other people. I'm waiting to see if any of them chime in here about how they would rather let a kid get raped than do something about it. Somehow, I bet I'll be waiting a while on that one.

So, I'm not really saying anything one way or another about any case in particular, but I do find it interesting that's here's another case where someone was paying attention, saw something out of place, got involved, and did the right thing.

The key differentiator in the situation I posted about is the outcome, which was positive. As a result, this guy I posted about is rightfully being hailed as a hero.

8. Hyksos

Hyksos

The OP was taking a shot at those who say Zimmerman should have called 911 and not approached the situation at all.

The OP is pointing out that if this guy had just ran inside and called 911, the bad guy might have escaped.

9. dango

dango

Life is a mind set and we get in trouble when we think too long too much.
    Many years ago I did a little research on my own and What I found was so fasinating, It was exactly that . mind set . Nothing to secretive but just the plain facts on mind set. I don't recall his name off hand but he taught the differences in the mind set of career criminal - vs-FBI the agents he was schooling.
    These agents were highly trained but they all had the disadvantage .Mind set. As normal human beings , we carry around a lot of mental baggage. My wife , my children , accountability .We all who carry thinking these same things.

The thugs on the other hand are only thinking one thing , Pull the trigger and get away at all cost. Their reaction time was 4 times faster in every case. The agents had to dehumanize themselves and still could not match the criminal reaction time.
    The problem lies in that we feel and think and that when it comes down to it , we really don't want to kill anybody.
    How can you compete with that ? We are too human and it is our weakness.
    For years , I would practice , draw and , draw , and shoot.
    Don't take the time to think , they don't !

10. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Smart thinking! Good idea blocking with vehicle. I would have armed myself concealed since most pond scum have some form of weapon to scare a child. Good for him and he should receive an award from the community for helping the child and putting away the scum!

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I think he was being sarcastic, because of the many cowardly types who post things like that here. Notice his smiley.

I notice CNN had no real details, as usual, but another story and the comments to it says Bumpus is 36 and the girl was 5 and the evidence was pretty overwhelming.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. Altaris

Altaris

Wrong. The real key difference that you forget was that this guy was in the act of a crime(molesting/raping a child), the other one was not(walking home).

13. RottnJP

RottnJP Lifetime Member

You don't know that until after the fact, though. Guy's first thought is, "Huh- I wonder what's going on in that car? Looks a little suspicious to me..."

In that minute, what did he do? Ignore, or investigate?

Note that I am specifically not commenting here on the T v. Z stuff- That's been said elsewhere. I *am* commenting though on people's need to make a big squirmy dog-pile of an issue based on 20-20 hindsight and hearsay.

14. Glockworks

Glockworks Thank God for Prez Trump and VP Pence!

Correct is all I wish to type now, thanks.

15. Brucev

Brucev

Exactly right!

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So "the other" just appeaeared to be about to commit a crime and in that case it would be better to just observe until he does it? Maybe follow him? Hmmm.

So, in this case, if the child molester was only trying to talk the little girl over to his car, the guy shouldn't have taken action? After all, he might really want to give her candy...just like Trayvon might have really just been sightseeing when he left the sidewalk beside the street and took the one between the backs of the houses, at night, through a gated community of some sort, in the rain, etc.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

No surprise. People here are infamous for outcome based judgement; you see it repeatedly in the cop threads.

The real way to judge a decision is in light of what was known by the actor as he acted, but that's hard.

18. Khufu

Khufu Pharaoh

It is a balancing act. The outcome is generally what affects people not what is known. There are times when what is known by the actor(s) at the time is not a correct assessment and therefore the outcome is wrong. In some cases the prudent actor would assess the situation and gain more knowledge before acting. Of course, sometimes, time just isn't an option.

However, when time is sufficient, there outcome based judgment is correct because more time could have been taken to properly assess all the situation.

Although you compare it to LEO, it is true in many other professions. For example, emergency surgery (i.e. heart attack requiring stent) the doctor has much less time to plane and must go and sometimes surgery goes wrong. “Routine” non-emergency surgery, one would hope is well planned and the error rate much lower and even the need is assessed well before hand.

-Dana

19. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Wonder when the news specials will air on this event...holding my breath

20. Altaris

Altaris

If you don't know the situation, and don't know what is going on, but suspect something, call the cops and let them sort it out. That is part of their job.
    If you see the guy walking with the girl, do you know him? Do you know her? Is she screaming for help? Are they really just father/daughter? Are you going to preemptively pull a gun on every person you see that you think might be about to do something?

It is clear cut and obvious on what needs to be done when you see an older guy in a car molesting a young girl. When something violent isn't happening, and you don't have the facts though, it is a big grey area. A grey area that you don't want to be a part of. Call the cops and let them do their job, or you will end up in cases like Zimmerman that could have easily been avoided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.