Guy thread: wrenches and ratchets, sae v metric; brands

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 308M1A, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

No love for Whitworth?

2. 308M1A

308M1A

There is the concept of not wanting a lot of money tied up in tools so get that totally. I am virulently opposed whenever possible to chinese crap on principle though taiwanese stuff is ok. Also occasionally good deals can be had on hi quality american stuff when on sale. sK just came off a 30% holiday discount. For a few key items i dont have a problem with spending a little extra. There is some chinese crap in my tool box from before my current awareness of what murderous thugs they are but im not expanding that any further.

3. DannyB

DannyB

Yeah, I want to hear this too. Did the box end of this combo wrench break open? If so you must be strong as a gorilla. I'm no mechanic. But I've had Craftsmen tools since the 70s and never a problem except a ratchet that crapped out. Sears gave me a new one.

Now so many pieces are misplaced I've thought about just starting over with a big set and letting the Craftsman be backups for lost pieces of the new set. Is Kobalt OK? I'm told Lowes has as good of a warranty on them as Sears used to on Craftsman.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  4. 308M1A

308M1A

Ill have to check it out. Now that my ratchet sets are complete, i need wrenches because lets face it, theres usually a nut on the other side. Spinning.

5. 308M1A

308M1A

From my checking of lowes stock, their stuff is all over. They frequently have taiwanese when the same thing in craftsman is from china. Sometimes vice versa. Always look around near the barcode for manufacturers location.

Eta: yes kobalt has a craftsman old school style warranty. Lowes is there when you need them too.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  6. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

Opening up means the two jaws on the open ended side of the wrench, bent and deformed enough to let the wrench come off the flat - in my situation, I had a full hard push designed to remove a motor mount bolt.

When the wrench failed, all my strength forced my thumb to run down the sharp edge of the engine oil pan.

I found a rather generic pix of a failed wrench.....

IMG_0217.jpg

..... and this is generally what happened to that Craftsman wrench. That I used an open end wrench was necessitated by the design of the engine casting being so close that the stronger box end would not fit.

I --- to this day --- cannot understand why I grabbed the Craftsman - when I had a drawer full of Snap-On wrenches in arm's reach too.

For the record.... I have another Craftsman wrench that I used on my Isuzu to tighten the front torsion bar that bent in a 120 degree loop. When I feel better (post operative yet and totally weak and washed out) - I'll try to take a pix of it to show youse guys.

7. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I have a double-ended Whitworth spanner from a Bug Eyed Sprite. They used to send some pitiful tools with each new car.

When I worked on Morgans and a few other BMC turdboxes, I had a decent set of Whitworth wrenches. Actually - I still like a Morgan.

Cubdriver and Batesmotel like this.
  8. e150gt

e150gt

Almost all my ratchets are snap on. Used from eBay. My wrenches and sockets are a mishmash of husky, Craftsman , gearwrench etc

9. RenoF250

RenoF250

I like to buy USA but that SK stuff is 10X the price of HF and I have not had a decent HF hand tool fail yet. By decent I mean one of the their better brands not the super cheap junk you only but to bend up or beat on. I have some of their impact torque sockets and had to beat the crap out of them with my 900 ft. lb. IR impact and they handled it great.

10. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Mac , snap on ... even allan make good stuff.. shop kraft is not close to the best of anything.. sk was barely home depot or true value quality not long ago..

11. rj1939

rj1939

Slip & Kill isn't very easy to find here............years ago, the auto supplies had them, then they disappeared. I've still got dad's small set of S&K from years ago, seems like I remember the time he got them.
    My buddy is ate up with S&K, so he scours the flea markets for vintage ones.

I've got a bunch of Craftsman that I don't have anything invested in, quite a bit of Snap-On that I do have a lot invested in.....................some Mac.

12. Sechott

Sechott

If I had a nicer truck, I wouldn't need all these expensive tools to haul around.
    image%3A27427.jpg

1bigK, FullClip, Detectorist and 2 others like this.
  13. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

I'm not a mechanic by any means. I am more into carpentry electrical plumbing but I do have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge. I have all of my Dads and Grandads old Crafstman mechanic tools. I have found Husky tools to be decent and good for a backyard mechanic. They work for me. I have a lot of Arbor freight impact sockets that also work for occasional tire changes. Now ask me about my carpentry tools. I'm a power tool junkie.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  14. lazarus66

lazarus66

Somebody who isn't me takes them and doesn't bring them back.

Flags likes this.
  15. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

I’ve had a set of Craftsman tools since 1980 and they’re still going strong.I don’t loan them out and have managed to keep the set intact. I pick up snap-on,mac and other decent brands at garage sales. As posted above i too avoid chinese tools as the steel is softer and it seems that the tools are close but not to the specified dimension and they have a bad habit of either breaking or rounding off a nut.

FullClip likes this.
  16. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

My whole toolbox is Craftsman and Gearwrench....with some odds and ends here and there.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  17. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I opened this "guy thread" anyway because the haters opened my Christmas dress thread after I asked them not to in the title.

So there.

LOL

The guys at Ace Hardware always help me out.

18. n2877

n2877

I generally stick with husky. Go Home Depot go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. n2877

n2877

So what dress did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. bubbatime

bubbatime

orangejeep06 and gary_boom like this.