Guy rant - am I the only one?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jdavionic, Jan 17, 2010.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I will preface the rant by saying that I love my wife dearly. We've been married for many years (approaching 20) and I consider myself truly fortunate.

With that said, I endured yet another unexpected surprise today. My wife is out of town and did a bunch of laundry before leaving. Today I washed some clothes only to discover the gear teeth on the washing machine controller were stripped...you spin the knob with ease whether engaged or not. It happened sometime ago and we had it repaired under warranty. The guy replaced the whole timer and somehow I ended up with spare parts. So it was easy to fix and I had the parts. But not a word in all the subsequent discussions with my wife that it was broken? :dunno:

It's not like I jump her case for anything that breaks. It happens. But I can't help fix & resolve things if I don't know.

She just had an issue where she rusted her LCP and ruined her cell phone with water. Not a word until it was a crisis.

And cars...I've concluded that she is either completely oblivious to all sounds and car issues or just follows the same pattern as above. For example, many years ago I was working in the yard when she got home and came up the driveway. The vehicle sounded like an 18 wheeler. Catalytic converter was shot. I said - 'don't you hear that noise?' She responds - 'what noise?'

Oh well, perhaps I'm alone in this one. But does your wife or GF do the same (says nothing when she breaks something or discovers something is broken)?

2. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

Nope, my wife is the same. Something will start to mess up or break and she will not mention it until it complicates what she wants to do.

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

My wife and mother both seem to notice when something is not right. Treating the equipment properly in the first place is another issue.

4. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Ah yes, only been married over 10 years here but I thought it got better.

It must be a wimmens thing. Mine wont tell me something is broke or breaking until she absolutly can't use it anymore. Then it has to be fixed now, right this second. :rofl:

5. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I have been able to break my wife of not telling me about car noises and other broke things. I explained with the car, the longer you wait the more expensive the repair can be. She is a bargain hunter so I hit her here she lives---saving money. Worked and now she tells me about any strange noise on the car or anythingelse that needs some attention.

6. Bret

Bret Crimping Master

My wife is the same way. Their minds just don't work like our's. If a mechanical device doesn't stop working, my wife will rarely tell me something is wrong. Of course, she gets irritated when I can't remember what she wore yesterday or don't notice a new nick nack arrangement on a shelf.

7. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

You are not alone my friend....not alone

8. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I tried that approach when she failed to say anything about her brakes making noises. It cost me rotors. I told her that we would have saved a LOT of money had she noticed & said something sooner. In one ear and out the other. No impact.

9. ranger56528

ranger56528

Is'nt Married life great guys hahaha......Never a dull moment...

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

You're not alone. She knows how to turn the key and make it move and that's it. What's worse her two sons are the same way. The youngest son admits sheepishly he knows nothing about cars. The older son appears to be proud of his ignorance. He says cars mean nothing to him other than as a means to get from point A to B. He gets no pleasure from driving and regards it merely as a necessary chore. His skill, or lack of, at driving reflects this attitude. I won't even talk about the girls, they're just too scary.

11. Spence

Spence

My wife is the Destroyer of all things expensive! Luckily she tells me when she breaks something.

12. ranger56528

ranger56528

Hun how longs the oil light been on............Oh about a week or so I think and now that you mentiond that there is a clicking sound also..........yep gotta love the Wife...

13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Yea, I bet Mrs. VR and other ladies here will chime eventually with some rants about us guys. My wife went for a haircut recently and I got home from work before she left. I knew she was supposed to get it cut that day and her hair looked different to me. I said - "hey, you got your haircut...looks good." I've been married almost 20 yrs and can't believe I made such a rookie mistake to comment on my wife's hair at all. If looks could kill...she hit me with the evil death ray stare, said "I'm leaving to get it my haircut", and left :rofl: Oops. :supergrin:

14. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

This for a +100000000000000000000000000000000000

Been married 22 years now. The first 10 I dealt with the same thing. MOST women don't think in terms of mechanical issues. If they turn the key and get forward movement, what does it matter if there are two or three little red lights lit up on the instrument panel?

Once she realized those noises means something, like costing us more money... Damn, now she hears things I have a hard time hearing.

:rofl:

15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

:rofl::rofl: I swear that's almost verbatum of some of our conversations.

16. lwt210

lwt210

I'll let y'all in on a little secret. A secret I overheard in Sears while waiting for a woman to check out.

She told the clerk (also a female) that she thought she was never going to get to buy the vaccum cleaner she was buying because her husband kept fixing the old one.

"No matter how bad I treated it and tried to kill it, he just kept fixing it. I finally finished it off by pushing it down the stairs." They both noticed I was listening, glanced at my wedding ring, and hushed up like they were swapping CIA information.

So I go home to confront my wife who is always breaking things. She said that is the oldest trick in the book and grilled me on who let me in on the secret. :supergrin:

Oddly, things at my house stopped breaking soon thereafter.

17. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I'm aware of this tactic and am sure it's done every now & then. But there are many, many times where it's just got to be something else...i.e., nothing can be gained by letting it go.

Her Mom is the same way. That woman is more destructive than all of the other natural disasters combined. It's not a matter of whether she will break something or not...just a matter of when. And when it breaks, she just says 'huh, that's not right' and then proceeds to either use it broken or work around it being broken...but will never say anything unless she has no workaround and it must be fixed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  18. vafish

vafish

At least your wife hasn't tried to wash the car, including the engine compartment, and sticking the hose down the carburetor to get it clean as well.

(Wasn't my wife, it was a buddy in the Army)

19. snair

snair

:rofl::rofl:

20. major

major Rejected member

OK, you guys listen up.......here's the difference:

Men are logical beings. If the car sounds funny, then it is logical to them to figure out what is making the sound, then fix it before it gets worse.

Women are emotional beings. As long as the car works and takes them to the beauty shop, the tanning bed, Wal-Mart, and the grocery store, there is not a problem. That's why you get, "What noise?" They do not hear a noise because the car is still working, taking them where they want to go.

Only when the car STOPS, do you get, "Honey, the car is broke. Fix it.....I have a hair appointment at 4:30.