close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guy gets 16 months in prison

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Feb 9, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Investigation leads to gun charge for Lino Lakes man

A Lino Lakes, Minn., man was sentenced to 16 months in prison today for possessing a short-barreled shotgun.

Jeffrey A. Guy, 29, pleaded guilty to the charge in August. According to federal court records, in April and May of 2008, a confidential informant under law enforcement control purchased two guns and some cocaine from Guy.

In May 2009, Guy was indicted for possessing one of the firearms he had sold, which was a sawed-off shotgun.

Guy’s conviction is the result of an investigation conducted by the Duluth Police Department, the Lake Superior Drug and Gang Task Force and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

link

2. ChillerDr

ChillerDr NRA Member

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time...don't do it!

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

and folks like that are exactly the reason i think it's not too important if granma smokes a joint for her arthritis. We need a few extra prison spots so we can KEEP those idjits locked up. 16 months for a sawed off and coke? How about 5 years instead?

Might have to let somebody out that sold a quarter pound of weed.

Which one do you want to let go?

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

Lorena didn't get any time when she shortened the barrel of her husbands gun.

5. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

In a free country none of what he did should even be illegal and certainly not a federal crime. Nobody was injured, nobody was killed and nobody had their rights violated. Maybe the guy was a loser but so what.

6. trifecta

trifecta

I saw what you did there.

7. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Two points -

1. You CAN legally possess a short barreled shotgun, per federal law. Not sure if MN state law prohibits it, but states' rights and all that. This guy obviously didn't do it legally.

2. Ahh...the "legalize it" crowd. I'd like to refer all of you folks to the "medical marijuana" thread in Coptalk. Seems that, even though weed is virtually legal in CO, there're numerous problems. I mean, who would imagine a gang member asking a local guy who legally grows for his business where he bought his weed from. Nah, that's not a shakedown attempt.

Or, who could possibly foresee that robberies of these medical MJ facilities have occured? Or even burglaries (there IS a difference between robbery & burglary..educate yourself if you don't know it) of the same? And it's not like the illegally grown stuff won't still be available.

Nope, none of that happens, since dope is legal. Can't. The mere fact that it's illegal causes ALL crime relating to the drug to happen, and legalization of it will STOP all crime associated with it.

By that logic, I shouldn't have to arrest people for stealing beer (done it), lock them up for DUI's (done that, too), or hear about bootleggers (nah, they don't exist). Same with terrorist groups selling untaxed cigarettes to raise money. That would NEVER happen, because all we have to do to eliminate the crime associated with the item, is to legalize the item.

:upeyes:

By the way, if you don't think America is a free country, please drive across EITHER border with a handgun in your possession. Let me know how that works out for you. Matter of fact, try having LEGAL civilian firearms ownership in pretty much any other country on Earth. We might not be perfect, but we're still the best place on this planet.

8. zukyota

zukyota

What ? Selling cocaine shouldnt be illegal ? I think if your not a felon you should be able to own a short barreled shotgun, but selling cocaine is a little to much. Guns, even shortbarreled shotguns, dont kill people, people strung out on cocaine kill people. I think he should have gotten more time.

9. Mr Thundermaker

Mr Thundermaker Delta Tau Chi

A free country can have laws. If he didn't do blow and saw the barrel off his shotgun too short nobody would have said a word to him. He chose to break the law, so he must suffer the consequences.

10. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I had a guy at a party ask me to sell him a sawn off shotgun. I handed him the weapon and a hacksaw and told him to give me the money. He did, then I told him to take the shotty home and when he through with my saw, bring it back.

11. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

how is it only 16 months?
    is`nt the possession of a gun and drugs a felony?
    and should`nt it be a longer sentence with it being a short barrel weapon?
    if so,WTH? if not why waste the money on the investigation at all?
    anyone?

12. tlafrance

tlafrance Missing AZ

Be careful, the alphabet crew might see owning a saw and a long gun as constructive possession :whistling:

Tom

13. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

14. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

It's not so much that he sold a SBS, it's that he beat the government out of their cut if the pie. More a Tax crime and not a "Gun Crime". But honestly you expect to get more time out of a tax crime than killing someone.

15. RioKid

RioKid

A. Maybe he comes from a wealthy family that was able to convince the
    judge or the prosecutor that he is really a good kid and was just
    mislead by the wrong crowd.

B. Maybe he plea bargained by ratting out said wrong crowd.

C. Maybe he is going to work with LE as part of his plea bargain when he
    gets out.

16. Andy123

Andy123

Ahhh, so then by THAT logic, we would have less crime if we went back to prohibition and made tobacco illegal too. Right? After all, the only problem with alcohol prohibition was that we didn't enforce it strictly enough. I'm mean if we would have just executed a bunch of those moonshirers, the country would be a better place.

What was that famous speech back then, "the churches would be full and the jails would be empty", something to that effect?

How did that work out?

17. .357 Glocker

.357 Glocker

I didn't say that America isn't free, I said this stuff shouldn't be illegal in a free country. I also did not say that legalizing drugs would solve all our problems with crime. In fact I think legalizing drug would probably cause a lot of short term problems and even some long term ones.

I do think that many of the crime problems that we have are related to the war on drugs and that legalization would, in the long term, reduce crime substantially. I also think that the war on drugs has given far too much power to the government, especially the Federal government. I think the prohibition experience can teach us a lot about this.

There are risks to freedom and I think that is why so many people are afraid of it. It's not that they don't like their own freedom it's just that other people's freedom scares them.

18. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

The only thing worse than a thief is a RAT. If he rolled, he'll get what he's got coming. I'm not in favor of possesion of illegal firearms (their definition of illegal) or cocaine, but I hate a rat.

19. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Oh please, weed is far from virtually legal. And gang members shaking down owners of local businesses? Who would have thought! :upeyes:

20. Micad

Micad

Glock-it-to-me, that may well be conspiracy.
    You sold the guy the gun, and the tool to shorten the barrel. You knew what he was going to do, hence "when your done..."
    A sharp DA, with an agenda could stretch it out there.
    I am not a lawyer, but I would be careful about that kind of stuff. I am not saying you actually did this, but...