close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GunVault for my Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock19CT, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Glock19CT

Glock19CT

I was considering that but someone on YouTube did a review and the buttons were flimsy and cheaply made from what I could tell.

2. Glock19CT

Glock19CT

So a person can resolve being locked out with a drill?

3. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

They don't seem flimsy to me, but you should see if you can find one to look at. My sturdy could be your flimsy.

4. FAS1

FAS1

Absolutely! The cost is $70.00 for a new lock. Anything steel can be drilled. Thicker steel is harder to drill. :crazy::supergrin:

5. FAS1

FAS1

Flimsy might not be the right word. The buttons are some type of metal, I think aluminum. These locks are designed to fit a certain thickness range of steel for the appropriate lock. The buttons are made in your application to work on 3/16" - 1/4" steel thickness. On 3/16" steel the buttons are longer than needed allowing an extra amount of "slop" in the button.

With the lock facing upward, you wouldn't hardly notice it since the button is at rest on the lock itself as the buttons are free floating. You could probably pull up on the buttons and see how long they actually are. If the lock is facing sideways it would be more noticeable as the buttons would tend to fall away from the lock, but still be retained by the face plate.

We resolve it here when we install the locks so that there is a minimal amount of excess play in the buttons.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  6. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

^^^^^^^^
    This.

7. Glock19CT

Glock19CT

8. samarai

samarai

I have a multi-vault by gunvault that i bought when they first came out. At the time, it served its purpose, but the pop open feature tot the safe itself died many years ago so I relied on the tubulsr key that came with it to open it, therefore defeating the purpose of having a quick access handgun safe. Several months ago I bought a Barska biometric safe and am quite happy with it. Read the reviews on this, most of the people that bought this safe recommended it. There is also a key backup in case the electronics were to fail. I realize that there are a lot of people out there that do not want to rely on both batteries and electronics, but these things have gotten to become much more relieable than in previous years. Also, how many of our critical items are both electronic and powered by batteries? Look at things like pacemakers, red dot sights, satellites, ect. It just takes a bit more awareness.

9. ziggy2525

ziggy2525

What FAS1 said above is correct. Since mine has the buttons pointing up, it's not an issue. I didn't watch the entire video, but is it just a aesthetic issue or is it a actually a functional problem.

FAS1 likes this.
  10. Locust414

Locust414

Unless you have kids at home, I would (and do) own one large gun safe. Around the house there are different systems, such as book ends, picture frames, velcro etc that will conceal your guns.

I have a small safe in the bedroom but, it's in the closet, in it's new box never opened. I use the above to plant pistols all over the house. There are false opening in varies locations. I say false because it does not look like a opening, and a hinged mirror that stores either a AR, shotgun and two pistols w/mags. Pictures which double as pistol concealment, book ends that serve same, false cabinet opening too. I own a dozen G19's and many are planted. I even keep them in my dresser and velcroed to under coffee table lol.

I decided a long time ago, I needed security in every room because you never know what might come upon you. I don't have kids in the house either. There are some that take a magnet lock which will secure from kids.

My large safe has to stay in the garage because I had it built big, heavy and secure. It has dual EMP digital and mechanical lock on it.

I don't trust those lil boxes, which are in the open. Only me and my closest family know the places I keep weapons stored. I told them their locations in case something happened to me and they can come collect them before they sell my house.

11. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

If I were Ft. Knox, I would consider myself well served to be rid of the pompous jackass who made the video. If Sheldon from 'Big Bang' were a gunny, I'd suspect him. Jeeze.
    Moon

12. Glock19CT

Glock19CT

Just looks very flimsy to me.

13. Glock19CT

Glock19CT

Oh that's a zinger.

14. FAS1

FAS1

That solution would work and is what Kaba advises with their locks, however it doesn't apply to Illinois Lock's version due to a subtle difference in their face plate. As I mentioned, we address it in house to reduce the amount of play in the buttons.

15. Glock19CT

Glock19CT

I believe you but the question was what turned me off and/or what I found flimsy in regards to the Fort Knox one and that was it.

FAS1 likes this.
  16. ThomasPI

ThomasPI

This, have one on my nightstand. They just work.There is a reason for no key, vulnerable point.

17. Vito

Vito

I'm a bit leery of any fingerprint reading mechanism. My Iphone 6 has the fingerprint security feature, and over and over I have had it fail. I record several of my fingerprints and it works for awhile, but invariably it stops recognizing my fingerprints and I have to delete the stored prints and re-enter them. I've been through this process multiple times. My GunVault has pushbuttons and if they fail I will use the back-up barrel key, but I am afraid to trust my access to a safe for home defense to reading my fingerprints. Does the Barska Biometric safe have better reliability than does the Iphone? I hope so for those of you relying upon it.