close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

"Gunsmith" Nightmare

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bam1131, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

To me the term Gun Smith means someone who is capable of a range of repairs to most any firearm.
    Then their are parts replacers and some of them are just plain Hack's.
    I know of very few true Gun Smiths and treasure the ones I do.
    If the shop was on the level they would have refunded you and apologized. SJ 40

2. itstime

itstime

Sorry to hear about this. That sucks. Me thinks the sight is stripped now.

3. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

OP,

check your slide......depending on how the "gunsmith" secured the slide it may or may not be damaged....

if the fool cranked it down in a vise that could very well damage it.....

in my 25 years of shooting i have yet to meet someone who i would let work on my firearm....

4. PAGunner

PAGunner

It's a business, $45 is a reasonable rate to put sights on (expensive, which is why so many do it themselves). I wouldn't ask for my money back, it's ok to let them know you weren't pleased, but they made it right, no harm no foul, it happens. If they throw in a free range trip or something similar, good for them.

Despite popular belief, most LGS owners are not making money hand over fist, they are not driving Ferrari's, living in mansions and they have the ATF breathing down their neck. I don't know about you, but I like supporting the LGS when I can, for the simple reason without them being able to turn a profit, what good is our RKBA?

The anti's know they can't get rid of the 2a, but the more difficult they make it for gun stores to do business, the harder they make it for all of us to exercise our RKBA, just sayin.

5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

You should be able to do the install yourself watch this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4maCQhEIjoA"]Installing Glock Sights with Dave Dawson - YouTube[/ame] At about 15:30 into it is where he shows proper front sight installation. Unless the parts changer at the shop damaged your slide,sight,screw threads either in the sight or screw you should be fine. Believe me you can do it and following the directions that Dawson provides it will be correct. SJ 40

6. PAGunner

PAGunner

Missed post 20, find a new LGS, that sucks.

7. taurn88

taurn88

there's "value in the work done?" what a load o horsesh**! Find a glock armorer or send it to glock. only way to be sure it's on right.

8. bam1131

bam1131

I brought it to another place that had installed meps on another gun of mine and they fixed it at no charge. The problem "gunsmith" had not used loctite and possibly a stripped screw. I thank Jefferson Guns for fixing the total screwup of this other store that will not be named.

Looking back on the altercation, I'm still in shock. I cannot believe that this person acted the way he did. I'm a young guy,24, and because of my age I normally don't get much respect. People think that they may be able to get one over on me, but they wont. I give everyone respect until they show otherwise. I was calm and asked in a nice way for my money back. Then he went off. He should learn to respect his customers or he will find himself without a business. I'm not sure if this was the owner, but if he was, God help the store. To not be able to install a front sight correctly twice is just unacceptable. We're not dealing with bicycles or toys, we're talking about a weapon used to protect someone. I'm still in shock.

On the off-chance that he did screw up the front sight, would Meprolight replace it under warranty?

9. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Sounds like a good way to lose customers.

Putting sights on a Glock is not exactly difficult as long as you use the proper tools.

Do you have any pictures of the work performed? Can you remove the front sight post and inspect the threads for damage?

The sight should never be loose fitting, so there is a good chance whoever did the work cross threaded the screw into the front sight.

10. bam1131

bam1131

I don't have any pictures because I was furious at the time this happened. I brought it to another LGS, that I now trust, and they fixed it. They also said, if it does come loose then they will fix it.

11. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  12. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

You should name it so that fellow members don't make the mistake of taking anything there for work.

13. DannyII

DannyII

I was borrowing a friend's sight tools, but MidwayUSA has the MGW rear sight tool on sale for $89.99, so I picked one up. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884401/maryland-gun-works-rear-sight-tool-glock?cm_vc=S014

For the front, I use this $3.49 tool http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=KQGTOOL3#q%3Dglock%2520front%2520sight%2520tool

You can buy this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586658/ed-brown-glock-front-sight-installation-tool
    Or this http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=KQGTOOL4&src=exrbSrch

So for the price of just 2 installations at your LGS rates, I can do all my Glocks whenever I want, with no driving involved.

That's a no-brainer in my book.

14. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

My thoughts exactly. If you want is done right, do it yourself.

15. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

If you want to check the front sight:

1. Take it off

2. Put the screw in all the way (off the slide). Does it feel stripped while screwing it in? Does it sit flush with the base of the sight? If you are unable to screw it in all the way until flush, the screw is too long, or something got bunged up that is preventing it from sitting flush.

3. Take the screw out, put just the sight in your slide. The base of your front sight should be flush with the underside of your slide. It should not extend past it (I cant imagine they would be out of spec, but worth a check anyway). Are you able to wiggle the front sight while it is sitting flush in your slide? If yes you need to run some loctite around the front sight and the hole in your slide.

Once everything checks out, reinstall using loctite on the screw and around the front site (if it applies as referenced in #3 above). Clean surfaces with alcohol prior to applying. Since you checked the screw length and sight base (assuming its all good), you should be able to tighten it all the way and the sight should not wiggle.

16. bam1131

bam1131

17. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

You live & you learn.

For future reference, any money you save buying sights from a cheaper place, albeit online or a store that doesn't have a gunsmith, you more than lose by paying someone else to do it.

Go to a reputable place, pay their price and they'll put them on for free. The sights I use I see all day online for less than $70 + $5 shipping. My LGS charges $80 + tax.

$8 or 9 whole dollars more and they put them on, and they put them on right.

18. bam1131

bam1131

Gretna Gun Works.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. hearsedriver

hearsedriver

Some of these LGS's amaze me. They act like they are making money hand over fist by the way they treat us sometimes. Last month, I was searching for a gen 4 26 and couldnt find one locally. I called a small gun shop in the next town who said they had one in stock. I asked the guy to tell me the test fire date on the casings that came with the gun and he told me that he would have to walk to the back to get it and didnt feel like doing it. I told him I had an hour drive to his store and needed that information but, he still wouldnt do it. I just dont have any sympathy for idiots like that. There are some good ones though and I dont mind paying a little extra to keep them going. They seem to appreciate it. $45.00 per hour is very reasonable for a real gunsmith. Ive paid that much to have sights installed and sighted in before I bought the tools to do it myself.

20. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

I install all mine myself. Looks like a pro did it...which is true. Sight pusher is a must anyways. Blue loctitie and the little tool for the front sight screw and you're set. I've used mine dozens of times...just put 3 sets of night sights on my Glocks in the past few days.

I had an xd45 one time, this place Gilberts Guns in Frankfort KY put some nights sights on for me...only charged me $20 I think, but he put a real nice scratch on the top of the slide, it would just glare at you...horrible.