close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gunshop talk - combat handguns

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pm666, Mar 7, 2010.

1. pm666

pm666

I was at the gun shop yesterday and the salesman is talking with a customer that is either considering purchasing a Beretta 92 varient or trading one in. He mentions that he doesn't like Beretta's but a lot of people do and says it's whatever you like. The customer mentions something about accuracy and the salesman states that it is a combat pistol and therefore not meant for accuracy. The salesman also says the same goes for Glocks. The salesman says he cares about accuracy. I don't know what he shoots, but the only pistol that I guess is accurate is a 1911 after it's been modified. I'm not sure, but I don't believe that standard GI 1911's are even that accurate. Anyways, it got me questioning what defines a "combat pistol/handgun"? Also, why wouldn't a standard combat pistol/handgun be made to be acccurate, I would think it would be a requirement if not a top priority...reliability being #1 (I would imagine). What IS an accurate handgun...Sigs and HK's might be slightly more accurate, probably not by much and certainly not significantly. I'm probably a below average shooter and I've owned an HK USP .45, Sig P220, Sig P228, and now a Glock 21SF. You certainly can't go by me (I can barely hit paper at 50feet), but I shoot my Glock better than the rest. I kept the Glock and sold the rest.

2. skyugo

skyugo

the beretta actually is considered to be one of the more accurate fightin' pistols i thought...
    a tuned 1911 is quite accurate, the old military issue ones are pretty average though.

with the right nut behind the trigger a glock will keep em inside of an inch or so at 25 yards.

sig and HK are probably a little better than that.

in handguns especially it's more about what YOU shoot well, vs what shoots the smallest group in a ransom rest.

really it takes a hell of a good shooter to outshoot your average quality pistol.

3. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

there is combat accurate, and then there is bulls eye shooting accurate.

each has its place but youre pitting reliablity under combat situations vs. bullseye accuracy under ideal conditions.

4. bw77

bw77

Sounds like another case of "guy behind the counter at the gunshop has no idea what he's talking about"

I guess it all depends on what you define as a "combat pistol". Is my Springfield TRP a "combat pistol"? If so , it's a tack driver.

5. Southpaw69

Southpaw69

I assume people are talking about bullseye shooting matches when they mention "accuracy" vs. "combat" pistols. I don't think it makes much difference for most people. Standard pistols ARE made to be accurate, just not 1 ragged hole at 50 yds. accurate.

6. pm666

pm666

Are you saying the more accurate the pistol, the less reliable and vice-versa?

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i am saying the more precise the parts fit is for accuracy reasons, the less tolorant it is to debris.

8. pm666

pm666

I get it...that makes sense.

9. BK63

BK63

I've heard some crazy conversations from the "guy behind the counter" over the years. Just remember they are just like everybody else. There are good ones and bad ones. Just because he's standing on the other side of the counter doesn't mean he knows it all.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  10. pm666

pm666

I was almost going to reply it was a combat handgun, until I read the SA website, "Test-firing a .45 ACP pistol is always a pleasure, and the Springfield Armory TRP version of the Model 1911A1 was no exception. The TRP is a full-size autoloader available in .45 ACP only, but I want to stress that the TRP is not just a standard copy of the basic Model 1911A1. It is almost a full-blown custom handgun."
    http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory15.php

11. bharen

bharen

As issued, the Beretta in military configuration is actually a damned accurate pistol. I was on active duty during the 1911 - Beretta transition and we were amazed at how accurate the new pistols were.

Of course, it could have been the better sights, lighter recoil and the fact that the Berettas didn't rattle when shaken, like the old 1911s did.

All that aside, every Beretta I shot while on duty (perhaps a few dozen over the years), regardless of condition, was a remarkably accurate pistol.

Of course, every Glock I've shot (a few dozen) have been more than acceptably accurate. It's usually who's behind the trigger, not the firearm.

12. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Ditto.

13. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

ive shot alot of different pistols over the years and in my hands on a combat type qualification course, all have been accurate enough for combat purposes within 25 yards.

14. G8Kpr

G8Kpr Sheep Dog

THIS is truth. The rest of what you hear from 'experts' around gun store counters, at local ranges, and internet forums is just conversation and speculation to pass the time and sound important.

I've shot MORE than enough from top of the line to bottom feeders to testify that you gotta dig pretty low in the barrel before the mechanical accuracy of the firearm is more limiting than the physical ability of the shooter. Hell, my brother-in-law's Hi Point 9mm will shoot minute of Coke can at 10 - 15 yds! In reality, acceptable reliability for serious bet-your-life-on-it carry falls off well before mechanical accuracy when it does work in the selection process of an 'every day carry'.

As far as Berretta vs 1911: shot both, own both, carried both for SD, qualified with Berretta M9 (as well as SiG M11/P228), carried M9 on duty in USN. I can't vouch for how every military armory/armorer cares for and maintains duty and qualification sidearms - some better than others to be sure - or for how much some get shot before rebuild/replacement compared to others (budgetary concerns, sensed need by decision makers), but I can tell you this from first hand experience: I have trusted my life to both the M9 (on & off duty) and the M1911 (civilian CCW) over the last 25 years and have never lost even a moment's sleep over either one - because I knew what I was bringing to the table as far as training and proficiency, and that either weapon was more than capable of holding up its end of the deal. I doubt your milage will vary much.

15. CC Glock

CC Glock

Ever gun i have ever owned has been able to outshoot me....